INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I finally went out last night and took some current pictures of some of the girls. They all range from 16-20 weeks, and are just getting their combs and tail feathers. I asked for some nice poses, but all I got was a bunch of SPOILED girls demanding garden scraps!

[​IMG]
    "Nevermind HER--take MY picture!"

[​IMG]
    "Does THIS make my beak look big?"

[​IMG]
    "Whaddya bring me?"

[​IMG]
    (MsJackson from her 'Nasty Boys' days)

[​IMG]
    FINALLY-- a NICE picture. This is Aretha, our 20-week old Cream Legbar. She's laid 13 goregous blue eggs eggs so far.

2. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN

nope not the first time shipping and isnt replacing the eggs. Im going to open a claim due to bad packing.
    After suggesting different packing he admitted that he usualky uses foam shippers but was out. So him being 72 yrs old, he did the best he could with what he had. Im not sure what age has to do with poor packing.

3. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    Been at the state fair for the last couple of days, so just skimming through the posts. Have to go this afternoon to pick up my chickens; they're released at 5:00.

My WCB bantam Polish had best of breed and reserve best for about ten minutes, then the judge realized he'd missed some pullets on the other side. Oh well, the judge giveth and the judge taketh away! I had told my sis earlier that those pullets were going to be my competition--they were really nice. My polish were in various stages of molting and I debated whether even to take them.

There are a lot of good birds there, but there are some really poor ones also. I was surprised that some weren't disqualified as they weren't what the owners said they were, such as some labeled as WCB polish that were mottled all over. And there were some LF Brahmas that looked (and smelled!) like they were sick, and they were still judged. We had to show our health papers stating that our birds had been tested for P-T, yet there were birds there with obvious other health problems. This was my first time showing there, and not sure that I'll do it again.

Oh well, 'nuff venting. On the plus side, the staff was great at keeping an eye on the visitors and making sure that the chickens all had food and water; I'm used to doing that myself at shows. And as always at shows I got to mingle with some great people, both other exhibitors and visitors as well as take in some other features at the fair.

4. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    That is no excuse. He should have contacted you and asked you if you could wait a few days while he went to go get better packaging. Not being able to get up the stairs because you are 72, all right that is a good time to pull the age thing. But selling something and not doing right by the buyer? No, that is just being a jerk.

5. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    This is the reason I am not sure if I want to risk showing my birds. I would hate to loose a favorite because of something like this and I would be terrified I might bring something back to the flock.

6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    We have pine shavings on the bottom covered with dried grass, but longer strands of it, not the short stuff from the mover, but the tall stuff from the weed wacker area.

As for the shipping of eggs, here is a post from the RIR thread with a link to a packing method. I think some buyers even request a double box. The eggs I got from one seller on here were packed like this in a double box and not a one was cracked but my PO still damaged some of them from shaking and the temps ~ I think the eggs got hot. The wording in the letter to the shipper, needs some politeness tossed in but the post has lots of great requirements for shipping. I never would have thought Wed. was a bad day to ship eggs.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site/4820#post_11823434

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I have a 5 gal bucket with nipple waterers in the bottom. My chickens won't use it. anyone near me want it for free before I list it on CL. You can have the scrappy stand too, we will just be burning it.

8. EmSteele

EmSteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I visited with an Amish family today and the man told me to sprinkle a tiny bit of cayanne pepper flakes on my chickens feed to aid then in laying. Has anyone ever heard of this ? I love stopping at Amish farms! What a way to live! If only.....

9. EmSteele

EmSteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I visited with an Amish family today and the man told me to sprinkle a tiny bit of cayanne pepper flakes on my chickens feed to aid then in laying. Has anyone ever heard of this ? I love stopping at Amish farms! What a way to live! If only.....

10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    For the nest box I put down a thin layer of wood ash right on the bottom (deters lice/mites) then wood shavings, then grass clippings like Sally says. I also put some dried herbs in the grass that are also lice/mite deterrents.

The chickens LOVE the grass. It looks nice, and smells nice - even without the herbs.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by