INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    We were there today !! Saw that Mottled polish. The sick is exactly why we don't show up there, There s sick birds up there every year !!!

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    [​IMG]

3. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Lol pginsber your close ups are cracking me up!

I ate my first duck egg today. Ok first of all it was nearly impossible to crack and then the membrane was super strong. Those are serious eggs! It was a little... Ummm ... Eggier than chicken eggs? Good though. I read they have twice the nutrition as chicken eggs. I had no idea! I think will mostly use them in baking though. I heard they are great for that. And I bet they'd make a really good quiche!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I have heard it works better in the winter, something about it increasing the body temp so they stay warm and keep laying. I have heard good things about flax seed for the hens to get them started laying. I guess there is a natural hormone in it.

5. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    sweet! I am not far from there at all. Northern brown county but I go thru that area all the time. I'd love to at least try it!

6. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    HAHA! Great pictures!
    ill take a look right now. I went ahead and opened a claim against him.
    Looks great! I'm working in getting a material list to start my new coop. Planning on an 8'x20' building with 5 - 5'x4' pens inside.

7. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Thank you all for the bedding I nest box ideas. They all pretty much laid in the boxes today even with the grass clippings in there. I just had to go hunting around in the boxes to find the eggs but so far no broken eggs like I was getting prior daily.

1 person likes this.
  8. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    Ahhhhh! found myself hanging out at Riley Hospital for the night. DH had his original heart surgery here, so we come if anythings up. he told me he felt like his heart was racing since last night... yeah, he tells me right before he left for work. well, now he's admitted with A-Fib and getting meds to slow it, if it doesnt fix itself by 7 am he gets a cardioversion (shock). he's not happy. anyway... chicken news... how long after breaking a broody will they lay again?

9. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    not a good night :( I'm sorry. As for the broody I'm no help. I have my first broody sitting on eggs. I couldn't resist. Hopefully soon!

10. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

Phew, I wish I could have built something so big! The chicken math is starting to get ahead of the room I have to house these birds. :oops: Speaking of, it looks like the Silkie I got from you last month is a cockerel after all, but he's a pretty cool guy, so I'm gonna keep him around and see what the ladies think of him. :) He comes out of quarantine on Friday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by