INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

In case anyone missed the note in one of my earlier posts today or yesterday, we have LOTS of quail eggs! Chloe just steamed (hardboiled) 6 dozen and there's still another 3 dozen in the fridge. We collected 12 today. She decided to go ahead and make some as deviled eggs to take to Rabbit Club banquet tomorrow night and then make egg salad with the rest. Yummy! Again, if anyone wants to try fresh quail eggs and you live within driving distance of Goshen, please
bow.gif
PM me so we can share the bounty! We also listed them on craigslist, but haven't had any contacts yet.

In case anyone missed the note in one of my earlier posts today or yesterday, we have LOTS of quail eggs! Chloe just steamed (hardboiled) 6 dozen and there's still another 3 dozen in the fridge. We collected 12 today. She decided to go ahead and make some as deviled eggs to take to Rabbit Club banquet tomorrow night and then make egg salad with the rest. Yummy! Again, if anyone wants to try fresh quail eggs and you live within driving distance of Goshen, please
bow.gif
PM me so we can share the bounty! We also listed them on craigslist, but haven't had any contacts yet.
Haha! I'm in the same position. Thankfully jchny2000 too a little over 4 dozen off my hands and the family I got the orp gigs from will be fertility testing a coupe dozen for me. After I know how they are developing ill be trying to sell them for hatching and eating eggs. I just collected 14 eggs today!
Phew, I wish I could have built something so big! The chicken math is starting to get ahead of the room I have to house these birds. :oops: Speaking of, it looks like the Silkie I got from you last month is a cockerel after all, but he's a pretty cool guy, so I'm gonna keep him around and see what the ladies think of him. :) He comes out of quarantine on Friday.
Ohh no! Hopefully he will behave himself.

Last edited:
Wow. I've seen everyone posting about how hard it is to keep up, and they aren't kidding. Been busy at work at home and suddenly 200 posts behind!

Whoever was asking about Solar/Electric fencing. I got all my stuff at www.premier1supplies.com but I will warn you, it isn't cheap. It was my major investment for the flock this year.

We are planning on going to the fair tomorrow night. Will there still be birds there? I'll be disappointed if I missed them.

Sally - you said your chickens won't use the nipple waterer? Do they have another source of water? All of my birds use my nipple waterer, but they stop using it if it rains, and they have mud puddles to drink out of instead. I bought a set of the little poultry cups to try, but haven't managed to find the time to set them up.

Our egg layers are really ramping up now. We went from about a dozen eggs a week over the last couple of weeks, to a dozen eggs in the last two days. I think my polish just joined the layers. She was in the nest box with a really warm egg when I checked them. She looked kinda dazed, but now that I think on it, that's her normal look..... She even let me scratch her crest. I think laying it wore her out.

Hope everyone has a good week, it's really busy for me right now, but I'll check in when I can.

Haha! I'm in the same position. Thankfully jchny2000 too a little over 4 dozen off my hands and the family I got the orp gigs from will be fertility testing a coupe dozen for me. After I know how they are developing ill be trying to sell them for hatching and eating eggs. I just collected 14 eggs today!
Well if you just got rid of a bunch of yours you need some more to restock your fridge. How many dozen should I put you down for?!
lau.gif

So I picked up my blue scale quail eggs today and man such a disappointment! I will say the box wasn't in the best shape, mainly just one corner smash. 9 of the 13 shipped eggs were just crushed. The remaining 4 covered in egg goo. The seller did, IMO, a bad job shipping. 7x7x7 box with a Ayer of shredded paper, then a quail egg flat with the eggs just sitting on it (nothing securing them down), pillow stuffing material on top, then crumpled newspaper. Those eggs were just flying around in the box. Waiting to see what the seller says. If I knew that was "the best packing to their ability" (their wording on auction), I'm not sure what I would call individually bubble wrapping 56 quail eggs to ship to jchny2000.

Reply from seller.....darn USPS. Takes no responsibility for damages.
Better than dropping them in a manila envelope, but not by much!

John

For the nest box I put down a thin layer of wood ash right on the bottom (deters lice/mites) then wood shavings, then grass clippings like Sally says. I also put some dried herbs in the grass that are also lice/mite deterrents.

The chickens LOVE the grass. It looks nice, and smells nice - even without the herbs.

Very Pretty Chicken

Last edited:
Ohh no! Hopefully he will behave himself.

He seems pretty laid back. I think he'll do fine as long as he gets along with my 3 month old boy, Po. The only other cockerel I got this year has turned out to be a big jerk, so another calm boy is alright by me. :)

(Plus, since I got 3 cockerels this year, I might have room for just a small batch of pullets next year... :D )

Been at the state fair for the last couple of days, so just skimming through the posts. Have to go this afternoon to pick up my chickens; they're released at 5:00.

My WCB bantam Polish had best of breed and reserve best for about ten minutes, then the judge realized he'd missed some pullets on the other side. Oh well, the judge giveth and the judge taketh away! I had told my sis earlier that those pullets were going to be my competition--they were really nice. My polish were in various stages of molting and I debated whether even to take them.

There are a lot of good birds there, but there are some really poor ones also. I was surprised that some weren't disqualified as they weren't what the owners said they were, such as some labeled as WCB polish that were mottled all over. And there were some LF Brahmas that looked (and smelled!) like they were sick, and they were still judged. We had to show our health papers stating that our birds had been tested for P-T, yet there were birds there with obvious other health problems. This was my first time showing there, and not sure that I'll do it again.

Oh well, 'nuff venting. On the plus side, the staff was great at keeping an eye on the visitors and making sure that the chickens all had food and water; I'm used to doing that myself at shows. And as always at shows I got to mingle with some great people, both other exhibitors and visitors as well as take in some other features at the fair.
If you have show quality birds, you may want to quarantine them when you bring them home rather than risk getting your whole flock sick.

John

So I picked up my blue scale quail eggs today and man such a disappointment! I will say the box wasn't in the best shape, mainly just one corner smash. 9 of the 13 shipped eggs were just crushed. The remaining 4 covered in egg goo. The seller did, IMO, a bad job shipping. 7x7x7 box with a Ayer of shredded paper, then a quail egg flat with the eggs just sitting on it (nothing securing them down), pillow stuffing material on top, then crumpled newspaper. Those eggs were just flying around in the box. Waiting to see what the seller says. If I knew that was "the best packing to their ability" (their wording on auction), I'm not sure what I would call individually bubble wrapping 56 quail eggs to ship to jchny2000.

Reply from seller.....darn USPS. Takes no responsibility for damages.

somad.gif
OH thats not cool! Are they going to replace them? If they don't I would sure hit him/her on the feedback!
Or is it a private seller...
Super excited, setting up the bator tonight with the quail rails. That will still leave me 3 regular rails for eggs.
lau.gif

I think your eggs will make it here safe and sound!
Thats the best method I have seen too, as long as the ends are open they hatch very well.

sweet! I am not far from there at all. Northern brown county but I go thru that area all the time. I'd love to at least try it!

Nipple waterers work very well. I use them for my birds. One of the secrets is to raise the bottom of the bucket to a height where the birds can walk under it without ducking. When they see the red plastic body of the nipple, they will peck at it, accidentally hitting the metal nipple and a few drops of water will come out. It doesn't take long for them to figure out that there's water to be had there. My birds learned this at the age of 2 weeks and have been using them ever since.

If there is another water source available, they prefer that, so will drink from a bowl or standard waterer or puddle first, but the nipple water is always clean. The other gets cruddy fast.

There is a good deal of spillage because for each drop they drink, 3 or 4 fall to the ground, so it can soak bedding.

Nipples are cheap on ebay, something like 25 for $10. Installing them on the buckets is relatively easy. There are youtube videos showing how. Be sure to use buckets with wire handles. The plastic handles eventually crack and break. A 5-gallon bucket of water landing on a chicken will not do it much good.

John

Back
Top Bottom