INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Some years back when I raised Coturnix quail, I pickled some. They were pretty good. I passed out a bunch of them at the office where I worked at the time.

I don't remember how I did it, but I'm sure there is something on the internet. You might want to try that. You can use up a lot of hard-boiled quail eggs in making a quart of pickled eggs. Pickled, they will last forever.

John

2. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Yeah, you can use pickled beet juice to make pickled eggs -- Mom did that when we were kids. However, John, you're missing that I don't want them to last forever cause there's a whole lot more comin' tomorrow!! [​IMG]

3. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    No it was an eBay auction. Opened a claim this evening because seller wasn't going to do anything. We will see what eBay does after they give seller a chance to reply back.

I checked the tracking and its not showing anything on the eggs. They were dropped at PO this morning and they even scanned it. Wonder why it's not showing anything on their website?

4. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Ok, I love this cooler weather but it is horrible for my allergies. I am literally showing Kleenex up my nose like ear plugs to stop from sneezing. 1 Zyrtec and 2 Benadryls later, no change. Going to be a long night.....

5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    When you have a few dozen cases of quarts of pickled quail eggs in your basement, you will be set for the zombie attack, if you have an equal amount of guns, ammo, and other stuff. Don't forget tinfoil for hats.

Alternately, you could crack open 2 or 3 dozen and make scrambled eggs for your family breakfast, if your family is small.[​IMG]

John

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG]have heard that too, hope someone knows more about it.

I have never showed birds, I would get frustrated too. I love meeting other chicken people tho! Hoping to make the fairs next year, just been too crazy here lately

7. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Oh my, my thoughts are with you and DH. [​IMG] thats pretty scary.
    I broke my EE after about a month, she was back to laying a few days later. now theres 2 BA and one of my oldest GLW hen hogging boxes and being physco attack vultures!
    I grab them off the boxes several times a day till they give up. (Welders gloves on first!) I even took away the golf balls.

My oldest DD loves baked goods with them, she is a cook at a nursing home. She does the desserts, and hates baked goods made with chicken eggs at work now.
    She is the first one to check eggs in the morning and writes "MINE HANDS OFF" on the duck egg box [​IMG] They have slowed way down laying too, she is NOT happy.

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Violet R.I.P

Yesterday the veterinarian's office was closed half the day for meetings and today they didn't even have a vet working! So today I called Dr. Gormley at Highland Clinic because I read recently that he has a wild bird rehab clinic. I was still hoping that maybe Violet just needed her leg wrapped or something could be done. She had been trying to stand and looked so happy when I'd hold her up to standing position. However, the vet said that there wasn't anything that could be done for her because her leg and locked into a position that couldn't be changed (he used medical terms, but that's what he meant). So... I had him give her the big shot. He only charged me half for the office visit ($30) and didn't charge for the anesthetic, which was very nice of him. I took her home, sobbing of course, and laid her down near Adeline. Lauren and I, both sobbing, watched Adeline look at Violet. It didn't help that I had just read this:

Like us, chickens form friendships and strong family ties. They love their young and mourn the loss of loved ones.

According to animal behaviorist Dr. Chris Evans, chickens are as smart as mammals, including some primates. He explains that chickens are able to understand that recently hidden objects still exist, which is beyond the capacity of small children. Furthermore, Dr. Joy Mench, professor and director of the Center for Animal Welfare at the University of California at Davis explains, "Chickens show sophisticated social behavior. They can recognize more than a hundred other chickens and remember them. They have more than thirty types of vocalizations."

Adeline has been calling Violet, which is so sad. I buried Violet in my new landscaping in the front. : - ) Lauren and I took Adeline and the new chocolate bantam outside in the front while we ate dinner. They took dust baths and peck around under bushes. That was nice to see. This evening, Adeline allowed bantam (haven't had time to name her) be in the cage with her, but not too close. Now I have to leave them tomorrow to move Lauren to IU! My son Max will be here to take care of them and my hens in the evening and morning. I guess I'm going to go ahead and keep them in the dog kennel (in the living room) to get acquainted more before moving them outside in their small coop next to the hens' coop. Btw, I love my Shark hand held steam cleaner (Bed, Bath, & Beyond) -- it's great for quickly sterilizing things like cages, cat carriers, coops-- and about anything else.

I guess it will be good to get away for a couple of days and then when I return I can work on acquainting them with my five hens.

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by