INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Oh, M2H! I am so sorry about Violet! You tried so very hard with her! Your patience and tender care, along with the ministrations of her friend, Adeline, made Violet's last days happy ones. No other chicken has received more love - from a human, that is. I understand that there is a rooster named Gus who is a real love machine!

2. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    pginsber - Loved your chicken pictures. The captions were really funny! You could do a chicken picture book!

3. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    I hearby submit my application for tallest sunflower by the chicken coop:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I'm going through the same thing !!

Originally Posted by Crafty chick [​IMG]

Ahhhhh! found myself hanging out at Riley Hospital for the night. DH had his original heart surgery here, so we come if anythings up. he told me he felt like his heart was racing since last night... yeah, he tells me right before he left for work. well, now he's admitted with A-Fib and getting meds to slow it, if it doesnt fix itself by 7 am he gets a cardioversion (shock). he's not happy. anyway... chicken news... how long after breaking a broody will they lay again?

Hope everything is ok. Will say a prayer for him !!

Violet R.I.P

Sorry !! We just lost my daughters LF Cornish that she has been showing for 2 yrs, she loved that big goof!! It is always hard to lose one !!

ate my first duck egg today. Ok first of all it was nearly impossible to crack and then the membrane was super strong. Those are serious eggs! It was a little... Ummm ... Eggier than chicken eggs? Good though. I read they have twice the nutrition as chicken eggs. I had no idea! I think will mostly use them in baking though. I heard they are great for that. And I bet they'd make a really good quiche

I love duck eggs !!

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In

6. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mother : So sorry to hear of the loss of Violet [​IMG]

7. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    PeacefulWalls
    We were talking about you making deviled eggs out of quail eggs. The visual of you cracking and peeling the tiny things made us laugh for a solid 5 minutes! Too bad we're not closer to Goshen, we'd drop by to see your foodie works of art and take a dozen home to eat ourselves.

CraftyChick
    We're thinking of you & DH, sending tons of positive vibes your way. Downtown will be crazy busy this weekend with GenCon folks and beautiful weather for a canal walk, so there'll be plenty of reason for DH to get better and get out into the fresh air. [​IMG]

Julie0477
    I can imagine it was quite strange to eat your first duck egg. I'm still trying to convince myself that eating my own girls eggs is not like eating my own grandchildren. HA! It STILL creeps me out, and I have to avoid thinking about it when I'm eating breakfast. It would help if the egg shells weren't BLUE--but I'm working on getting past it!

M2H
    So sorry to hear about Violet. Our heart breaks for your loss, yet we're sharing the peace that she's not suffering. Hugs to you...

TooFast
    Again--HOW do you get anything GREEN to grow around your coop? Our girls stick their head through the chain link gate and have eaten everything green within 8 inches of the fence. You not only deserve an aware for being able to grow anything around the coop, but a big blue ribbon for growing something 10 FEET TALL!! Nicely done!

8. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    [​IMG] yummy grandchildren...very tasty...

9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Pginsber - that is SO funny. My first set of chickens.... I was so happy when they started to lay but once it happened I couldnt eat the eggs. I just couldnt do it! ha Such a waste. They were perfectly good not even fertilized RIR eggs. Beautiful golden yolks. I was pregnant at the time so I attribute it partly to that. That was about ten years ago. Then three years ago we started keeping chickens again and I was ok with eating the eggs until I tried incubating a few and I saw the development by candling.... now I have a hard time with it again. I mean I still do eat them, but I think a lot more about it than I did. I have to push all baby chick images out of my head and oh what it could be.... lol

10. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Here you go for more entertainment! [​IMG] I decided I'd better pull these out of the fridge so you can see them in person. I didn't have to peel these 6 dozen -- Chloe wanted to do it, although I did get a slightly sarcastic, "gee, thanks for helping me, Mom!" from her. I told her I was too busy looking up pictures of duck coops, but I was keeping her company!

for size comparison, there are 22 egg halves on a salad size plate (a few have toothpicks stuck in them) & the coffee mug is a regular size mug.
    [​IMG]

the other container has the other 5 dozen or so (we ate some of them so lost count!)
    [​IMG]

We're probably going to go to ISRBA convention (IN State Rabbit Breeders Assoc.) at the state fairgrounds the second weekend of September -- perhaps we can bring some eggs to Indy with us!

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by