INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Here you go for more entertainment!
lol.png
I decided I'd better pull these out of the fridge so you can see them in person. I didn't have to peel these 6 dozen -- Chloe wanted to do it, although I did get a slightly sarcastic, "gee, thanks for helping me, Mom!" from her. I told her I was too busy looking up pictures of duck coops, but I was keeping her company!

for size comparison, there are 22 egg halves on a salad size plate (a few have toothpicks stuck in them) & the coffee mug is a regular size mug.

the other container has the other 5 dozen or so (we ate some of them so lost count!)

We're probably going to go to ISRBA convention (IN State Rabbit Breeders Assoc.) at the state fairgrounds the second weekend of September -- perhaps we can bring some eggs to Indy with us!
This picture is PRICELESS!!
I'm at work eating my lunch, and I almost spewed it at the monitor in hysterical laughter when I saw these pictures.
lau.gif
Did you feel like a giant when you were eating them?
They're so stinkin' cute! Kind of like kumquats--only you can't eat the peel !!!

Mother - I am sorry to hear about Violet. I am sure it was a hard decision to make. Holding onto a little hope she might get better, but making the choice that it is not likely.

I hope your new bundle of joy fills a little of the hole Violet has left
hugs.gif

Last edited:
We actually sell honey from 'Hunter's Honey Farm' (close to Martinsville). There are a lot of people who swear by eating the local honey helps build up your system to the local pollen, ergo, less allergies.
Not only does it help with that it has a bunch of other natural uses.

We had a close one today. Our first (and hopefully last) hawk attack. My feather kids have been free ranging with the alpacas on an acre with 5 foot 2x4 welded wire fence, in between 4 houses with a combined total of 10 dogs, under about 20 trees for 3 months. So we have had minimal predatory issues. Apparently our squirrel population has dwindled or this was a young stupid hawk. I was standing outside talking on the phone when I saw the alpacas freak out, I looked over and saw Blueberry fly into the fence in fear. That's when I saw the hawk, I swear was the size of a dragon, hit the other side of the fence. Thank goodness we have so many pens and fences. He got confused and didn't make off with any of my kids. I lost one of our RIR girls for a bit, while I was picking up and carrying everyone to the coop. Then I found her in the barn hiding behind the feed bins. Poor things were petrified. They are now enclosed in the coop and run. I don't think they would come out today if I left it open. They got quite a fright. Probably no eggs for us for a few days.I hope this doesn't screw up Godivas egg production healing. She is doing great. No eggs, but at least its better than 4 soft ones in 2 days. She has been eating her calcium. So when the scare is over hopefully she will start laying normally.

Just an update, I got my refund on those quail eggs. After candling them last night, 1 more was cracked and I got 3 out of 13 that weren't damaged. Well wait to see if they even develope.

No it was an eBay auction. Opened a claim this evening because seller wasn't going to do anything. We will see what eBay does after they give seller a chance to reply back.

I checked the tracking and its not showing anything on the eggs. They were dropped at PO this morning and they even scanned it. Wonder why it's not showing anything on their website?

USPS tracking leaves much to be desired. I've had items that arrived before the tracking info ever became available on the USPS website!

Been at the state fair for the last couple of days, so just skimming through the posts.  Have to go this afternoon to pick up my chickens; they're released at 5:00.

My WCB bantam Polish had best of breed and reserve best for about ten minutes, then the judge realized he'd missed some pullets on the other side.  Oh well, the judge giveth and the judge taketh away!  I had told my sis earlier that those pullets were going to be my competition--they were really nice.  My polish were in various stages of molting and I debated whether even to take them.

There are a lot of good birds there, but there are some really poor ones also.  I was surprised that some weren't disqualified as they weren't what the owners said they were, such as some labeled as WCB polish that were mottled all over.  And there were some LF Brahmas that looked (and smelled!) like they were sick, and they were still judged.  We had to show our health papers stating that our birds had been tested for P-T, yet there were birds there with obvious other health problems.  This was my first time showing there, and not sure that I'll do it again.

Oh well, 'nuff venting.  On the plus side, the staff was great at keeping an eye on the visitors and making sure that the chickens all had food and water; I'm used to doing that myself at shows.  And as always at shows I got to mingle with some great people, both other exhibitors and visitors as well as take in some other features at the fair.

We were there yesterday too! I was surprised at the number of birds that seemed to be in poor condition! I've never seen a bird molt before but some of them did seem down right sick. I was disappointed at the quality if dairy cattle that were being shown yesterday too!

We actually sell honey from 'Hunter's Honey Farm' (close to Martinsville).  There are a lot of people who swear by eating the local honey helps build up your system to the local pollen, ergo, less allergies.
Not only does it help with that it has a bunch of other natural uses.

I love Hunters Honey! We go down for their fall festival every year; my in laws are in Martinsville.

Wow. I've seen everyone posting about how hard it is to keep up, and they aren't kidding. Been busy at work at home and suddenly 200 posts behind!

Whoever was asking about Solar/Electric fencing. I got all my stuff at www.premier1supplies.com but I will warn you, it isn't cheap. It was my major investment for the flock this year.

We are planning on going to the fair tomorrow night. Will there still be birds there? I'll be disappointed if I missed them.

Sally - you said your chickens won't use the nipple waterer? Do they have another source of water? All of my birds use my nipple waterer, but they stop using it if it rains, and they have mud puddles to drink out of instead. I bought a set of the little poultry cups to try, but haven't managed to find the time to set them up.

Our egg layers are really ramping up now. We went from about a dozen eggs a week over the last couple of weeks, to a dozen eggs in the last two days. I think my polish just joined the layers. She was in the nest box with a really warm egg when I checked them. She looked kinda dazed, but now that I think on it, that's her normal look..... She even let me scratch her crest. I think laying it wore her out.

Hope everyone has a good week, it's really busy for me right now, but I'll check in when I can.
I did not take away the other water when I was letting the hens try the nipples, but when I gave it to the roosters I put it in the far favorite corner of my yard and moved all other water into the run a good 200 feet or more away. When the roosters were out free ranging they hung out uner the pine trees so that is were the nipple water bucket went. It was still all but full after a week. It is high enough for them to walk under and not duck. I just have lazy chickens. Or I need to start chicks on the nipples but I have not done that due to the bedding mess.
We know about chicken math, or just various poultry in general math, but this morning I had an episode of calendar math! Our kids started school last Friday already (ick!) and I just got around to writing down activities for the year on my calendar. We went from 2 kids in middle school (both in orchestra) to 1 in middle school (orchestra) and a freshman in high school (orchestra & choir). Between church youth group (now both the jr youth group & sr youth group, 4-H (2 clubs) and orchestra & choir activities, our calendar is bulging through next June! And I haven't even seen the regular activities calendar for the high school yet or put in any of our family activites. Thank goodness neither of the kids are in a sport or band -- in the Goshen schools those both devour every spare second of your time!
The day will come when you will want your oldest to start driving everywhere that is on your calendar. No more having to drop off or pick up for activities, well church and school. I think a party at the friend's house you still have to drive for a year or so after they get their DL.
And the best part, if I remember my mother right is we loved driving as teenagers so she made it a reward. So we would have to do the grocery shopping and stick to the list (no cell phones way back when to call and add stuff) in order to be permitted to drive to the church activity. Perfectly planned now that I look back on it. My mom got two things done without leaving the house.

Back
Top Bottom