INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    This picture is PRICELESS!!
    I'm at work eating my lunch, and I almost spewed it at the monitor in hysterical laughter when I saw these pictures. [​IMG] Did you feel like a giant when you were eating them?
    They're so stinkin' cute! Kind of like kumquats--only you can't eat the peel !!! [​IMG]

2. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I have heard this. Just havent gotten ariund to stop at the honey farm near my parents house

3. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Mother - I am sorry to hear about Violet. I am sure it was a hard decision to make. Holding onto a little hope she might get better, but making the choice that it is not likely.

I hope your new bundle of joy fills a little of the hole Violet has left [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    We actually sell honey from 'Hunter's Honey Farm' (close to Martinsville). There are a lot of people who swear by eating the local honey helps build up your system to the local pollen, ergo, less allergies.
    Not only does it help with that it has a bunch of other natural uses.

1 person likes this.
  5. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

We had a close one today. Our first (and hopefully last) hawk attack. My feather kids have been free ranging with the alpacas on an acre with 5 foot 2x4 welded wire fence, in between 4 houses with a combined total of 10 dogs, under about 20 trees for 3 months. So we have had minimal predatory issues. Apparently our squirrel population has dwindled or this was a young stupid hawk. I was standing outside talking on the phone when I saw the alpacas freak out, I looked over and saw Blueberry fly into the fence in fear. That's when I saw the hawk, I swear was the size of a dragon, hit the other side of the fence. Thank goodness we have so many pens and fences. He got confused and didn't make off with any of my kids. I lost one of our RIR girls for a bit, while I was picking up and carrying everyone to the coop. Then I found her in the barn hiding behind the feed bins. Poor things were petrified. They are now enclosed in the coop and run. I don't think they would come out today if I left it open. They got quite a fright. Probably no eggs for us for a few days.I hope this doesn't screw up Godivas egg production healing. She is doing great. No eggs, but at least its better than 4 soft ones in 2 days. She has been eating her calcium. So when the scare is over hopefully she will start laying normally.

6. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Just an update, I got my refund on those quail eggs. After candling them last night, 1 more was cracked and I got 3 out of 13 that weren't damaged. Well wait to see if they even develope.

7. HouseKat

HouseKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    USPS tracking leaves much to be desired. I've had items that arrived before the tracking info ever became available on the USPS website!

8. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

We were there yesterday too! I was surprised at the number of birds that seemed to be in poor condition! I've never seen a bird molt before but some of them did seem down right sick. I was disappointed at the quality if dairy cattle that were being shown yesterday too!

9. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

I love Hunters Honey! We go down for their fall festival every year; my in laws are in Martinsville.

10. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I did not take away the other water when I was letting the hens try the nipples, but when I gave it to the roosters I put it in the far favorite corner of my yard and moved all other water into the run a good 200 feet or more away. When the roosters were out free ranging they hung out uner the pine trees so that is were the nipple water bucket went. It was still all but full after a week. It is high enough for them to walk under and not duck. I just have lazy chickens. Or I need to start chicks on the nipples but I have not done that due to the bedding mess.
    The day will come when you will want your oldest to start driving everywhere that is on your calendar. No more having to drop off or pick up for activities, well church and school. I think a party at the friend's house you still have to drive for a year or so after they get their DL.
    And the best part, if I remember my mother right is we loved driving as teenagers so she made it a reward. So we would have to do the grocery shopping and stick to the list (no cell phones way back when to call and add stuff) in order to be permitted to drive to the church activity. Perfectly planned now that I look back on it. My mom got two things done without leaving the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by