INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    "REAL" honey is getting hard to find, as specially as much as I go through !!

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    My gold star rosemary and my silkie seem to have a system going. I wondered where her eggs have been. She ALWAYS lays, but no eggs the past few days. I caught her today. She's been going into my broody silkies pen and laying, and then the silkie has been rolling it under her. So now I have at least two eggs that are due a week later than the rest of the hatch :/. You think it's ok to leave them? Or do I really need to candle and pull those last eggs? I'll have to start leaving her pen closed up while I'm at work. She still has access to the outdoors and Food and water. It's a little a frame tractor. Just no dusting i guess.

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I already have the orchard, !!!! I don't want my own hives though.

5. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    I think it is growing so tall because of all the free chicken fetilizer. I should measure the thing so I can see exactly how tall it is. The grass stays green around the coop area because the chickens don't really forage there. There is about a 8'' space near the fence that is mostly down to dirt, but only from us walking that area. The wiring I have for the first 2 feet up the run is doubled, 2''x4'' welded wire overlayed with 1/2'' square hardware cloth.
    You don't wear sunglasses? I can't do that. Must wear them, if only so the government can't read my thoughts.
    Yes, honey works for a lot of things, it's very helpful. Local, that is.

6. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

7. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Here I go again... Seem to do a lot of whining here of late.

I received a stunning little addition to my flock yesterday thanks to the lovely pbirdhaven. He was a gorgeous pale splash bantam cochin with lots of comb at 10 weeks. Put his fuzzy butt into the quarantine pen and he ran around eating all the grass, scoffing the grain and picking at a water melon. Paying no attention to the girls who had lined up like soldiers at the fence line to check him out.
    I was in heaven [​IMG] He is cute as a button, does not seem flighty because of the girls...perfect!

Roll on night fall. Around 20 mins after dusk I pop my back porch flood light on and step outside. The quarantine pen fence is completely crushed. About 5 feet from the pen is my new rooster, mauled to death.
    I have cameras on my house and it happens right after it gets dark. I can barely see the chicken on the camera running around frantically, but without the lights on I can not see what it attacking him. I have come to the conclusion it was a dog by how trashed the fencing was and the fact the little guy had a single bite and a broken wing but was left intact.

I am so frustrated and angry with myself and I feel like a big let down on pbirdhaven for giving me such a beautiful bird... I may just scream [​IMG]

8. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    It sounds like a dog to me too.

9. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I have alot of bees around, but I don't know where their hives are, and as far as I know, nobody around here has bee hives.

10. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    So sorry , it is always hard losing one,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by