INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Oh, yeah, she's counting the days until she gets her permit -- she turns 15 in January. We stopped by the BMV booth at state fair and she picked up the driver's ed info book. I know she will be a careful driver, but it's those other people on the roads out there that worry me! We live on a pretty busy county road & have seen lots of drivers do really stupid stuff just in front of our house. There are so many impatient drivers, drivers with road rage & those only looking out for themselves, etc that's it's scary thinking about sending her out there...

2. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I remember I couldn't wait to drive. I would sneak the keys off my dad's dresser and take the old Chrysler out for a spin when I was 14. Small town living back then nobody really thought twice about it. My son turns 17 next week. Been through driver's ed. He can't get his license until October because he never had interest and we are making him get one. I ask him if he wants to drive and he always says, "not really". So I have to make him practice. I just don't get it. [​IMG]

3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Here's a shot of the nipple water bucket. Easy to do. Drill holes. Screw in nipples so that they just barely compress the silicone washer.

[​IMG]

I rotated the original, but when I loaded it to BYC, it reverted to the unrotated version. Tip your computer.

The top is just sitting on the bucket, not snapped down. Hang it so that the chickens can walk under it without having to duck.
    Note the rope length adjuster. Use a bucket with a wire handle (bail). Plastic bails will eventually crack and break. Any chicken standing under the bucket when this happens will also break.

[​IMG]

John

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

5. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I have made several versions of feeders from 5-gallon buckets. They more or less worked, but not well.

I made this feeder from some scrap 1/2" plywood. It works really, really well.

Note the 2x4 fencing on the front of it. It keeps the varmits from scratching or billing out the feed. I seldom see a pellet on the ground.
    It holds 100# of feed.
    There are 2 slanted baffles in it. The back baffle slopes toward the front to direct the feed toward the front. The other slopes toward the back baffle with a 1 inch gap between the two. The bottom on that baffle is 1 inch lower than the lip at the front.

Since I used 1/2 inch plywood, the joints are reinforced with cleats. The top has a 1/2" x 1/2" lip all around for a drip edge so water won't get into the hopper. Additionally, I set the feeder under the shade tarp. The tray has no rain protection, but poultry will eat wet feed. Actually, they prefer it wet.

[​IMG]

John

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Ugh, thanks for posting, I have been miserable since sunday. Ragweed, goldenrod and queen anne's lace is awful this year.

Oh my, that's a lot! What do you breed? Watch them close for weight and if they are able to nurse enough, bottles and canine milk supplement are available.
    I bred Labs, Shepard, Rotties and golden retrievers for police dogs.
    My Monique, a golden retriever, had 17. C-section and only one was developed enough to survive.
    I stopped breeding dogs after that, just heart wrenching. Had her spayed and nearly lost her too.

When I raised my oldest 3, between sports, scouts and 4H I never sat down. Baseball, softball and soccer, scout leader meetings, 4H leaders meeting ugh! My kids loved it all and still talk about it. Its amazing how well rounded the kids became as adults. I never said "no" and made the time for them, no matter what was going on.
    You are an awesome parent to give them the opportunity to learn, be independent and grow [​IMG]

7. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Here are some pics of my critters.

The yard is 64' x 64'. The tarp is for shade. The coop is inside the barn. It is 8' x 16'.
    [​IMG]

14 week Blue Cochin rooster. I have 2.
    [​IMG]

14 week Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet. I have 5.
    [​IMG]

14 week Jersey Black Giant pullet. I have 4. Note the metallic blue-green sheen on the black feathers. It is really striking in direct sunlight.
    [​IMG]

18 week Buff Orpington pullet. I have 5.
    [​IMG]

14 week. Gold Laced Wyandotte pullet. I have 4.
    [​IMG]

14 week Blue Cochin pullet. I have 3. 2 Buff Cochin roosters in background.
    [​IMG]

14 week Pearl Guinea male, I think. I have (I think) 2 males, 1 female.
    [​IMG]

Another 14 week SLW pullet.
    [​IMG]

18 week Gold Laced Wyandotte rooster. I have 2.
    [​IMG]

14 week Indian Runner ducks. I have 4 Blue, 2 Chocolate, 2 Fawn and White.
    [​IMG]

John

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Exciting news. A tractor will work well for her. Candle if you feel you need to, but if its a broody hatch why not let her be the mom.

Oh no, Vicki [​IMG]I am so sorry, Been thru it to with Sable my dads bottle baby goat. The dog grabbed him, and killed him right thru the gate. It happens, sure does sound like a dog! Don't beat yourself up over it. I know you care very much about your birds and their safety. All you can do is fix what didn't work and start over. Do report the attack to animal control so its recorded, If you see the dog show its face, and it will be back, call the animal control right away. The owner owes you damages for your loss, and needs to be responsible for the stray dogs actions. So very careless and irresponsible of them! Dog ownership means responsibility, and proper care and confinement. I will not hesitate to shoot a stray dog that's aggressive after loosing my Dads lil baby goat.

Hope someone that hatches with a broody can help. I cant take that risk my geese would harm them.

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by