INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I think the fishing line webbing is a good idea. Hawks like to swoop in, they usually don't dive straight down and anything that prevents them from getting a nice long run at the chickens will help.
    They can also come in and perch in the trees and dive from there. But I think the fishing line can still be a deterrent there. And anything that will delay the hawk before he gets to the ground gives the chickens that much more time to get under cover. Another thing you can do if you have some spare pallets is either lean two up against each other like an A-frame, or add some legs to get them off the ground. Then set them out in your open areas. It gives the chickens cover to run under. That is what I have done in my run.

3 people like this.
  2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Hawks, like most wild animals, have to make a living or die. They cruise around looking for dinner and will take it unless they perceive danger - alpaca, dog, person.

Then they move on to find unprotected dinner. Then they will re-check their territory. If they find something now unprotected, bang, they're on it. They will return as long as the spot is productive (i.e. while you still have some chickens left).

I didn't see a post about fishing line. I seems to me it would act like a wire cheese cutter. If it didn't harm the hawk, he might have a hard time flying back up through the fishing line barricade to get away.

You might try a canine decoy. Or find a dead dog along the road and have it stuffed.

John

2 people like this.
  3. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Hey, darn it. This is my hole. Go get your own.
    [​IMG]

OK, selfish. Don't expect me to share this one with you if one of the big guys kicks you out of yours.
    [​IMG]

John

4. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I strung fishing wire across our pasture, bought an owl decoy and put it on the fence post by where the hawk came in. He did it in front of me yesterday, so apparently he is desperate or has no fear. I called a bird watcher friend today and he said to keep the chickens put up for a couple of days until the hawk realizes there is no food here. I went out to put hinges on the silkie coop door today and sure enough I heard a hawk. Looked up and he was circling high up over our property. Same time as the attack yesterday. All of our chickens were put up and he moved on. So I will just keep this up until I dont see him anymore. Pretty sure it was the same hawk, his feathers were pretty torn up looking. He put up a pretty good fight with our fence yesterday. So Im sure he isnt too pretty today. Thanks old salt for the dog advice. Luckily I have 5 live dogs, within close range of the pasture, so I wont be needing a stuffed one ;).

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I actually dig holes for mine !!!! Love those silver laced !!

6. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Racin, I assembled it with a brad nailer, glue, and where needed, drywall screws. Everything was done in a "cut to fit" manner. Almost no measuring except to get it to fit the scrap plywood on hand. It's about 24 wide, 18 high, 16 deep.

John

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  7. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Yes, but your Chihuahua won't intimidate the hawk. More likely just add to the menu.

Stake one out in the middle of the chicken yard and stand by with a shotgun.

John

8. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hahaha. I considered using the shihtzus, but I feel our 60 lb boxer mix may have more of an impact. I will just have to keep her on the other side of the fence, she probably thinks the chickens are snausages that move. :)

9. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    I've wondered about the hawk hunting pattern also. Anybody else know?

Guess I should've read the next page before I asked again. Racin and Old Salt have some great ideas.

10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    your feeder and waterer are genius. So much better than the mess I deal with every day. And your birds are beautiful. I'm quite jealous of the Cochins. Maybe next year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by