INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Gah Vicki that stinks about the rooster. :(. Quite a sad story. Im really sorry.

2. EmSteele

EmSteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I keep reading about all of the predator problems...I live in Southern Indiana (about 30-45 mins under Bloomington) and I haven't had a problem... We took major precautions after researching what we'd need. I think the best thing we did was post my mutt, Bellah May, almost up against the fence. She has a strong "I can't eat them so you can't either" rule. The ONLY issue I've had was the 80+ year old, one legged neighbor who decided his sons weren't getting to the grass fast enough so HE'D cut it his self... tore open the side of the run and ran(rode) away as fast as he could!

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Glad to hear it is working out well for you.

Vicki, I have a buff Brama rooster that I no longer need since Patrick gave me a BLRW (Buster). He is not crowing yet. He won't walk right up to you but he will sit in your lap once you get him. He is yours for the taking if you want him. In case you were wondering he does have feathers on his legs.

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    No pictures again--it was too dark by the time I finished. The painting is finished on everything but the vent covers, and we've started the predator proofing. There is 1/2 inch 19 gauge welded wire across the floor, bolted on with 1 inch screws and washers to hold it in place. Tomorrow, it will be covered by river rock gravel as added dig-proofing and also to hold the wire down, and then I'm going to compact dirt over that as best I can. I've got a bunch of welded wire, so this thing ought to be solid and predator proof! :D

5. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    Vicki, I tried to send you a message yesterday, but my browser crashed right in the middle. Don't be beating yourself up over this--nothing was your fault. It happens, heartbreaking but true. We all know that you are a great chicken mom [​IMG] that just happened to have a bad break.

M2H, I also tried to post a condolence for Violet, but again the browser crashed. ( Don't know what the problem is; it only does it on BYC.) Back to the main issue--you did all that you could for Violet and made the loving choice at the end.

6. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Awe I have a buff Brahma roo and he's probably my all time favorite. Such a great laid back guy. :)

7. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I am not sure if she will keep setting, I have never done a broody hatch. Hens seem to "know" if an egg is good or bad from what I have heard. Hopefully someone with broody experience can answer. I would watch close as you can in case she leaves the nest. Do you have an incubator, or access to one in case she leaves them?

Oh, didn't realize. Noblesville has great clinic if you decide to spay her, very reasonable.
    http://www.lowcostclinic.org/
    I take all the stray cats that are abandoned here to them to get fixed, I don't want a cat explosion here!
    They live in a large metal pole barn and can come and go as they please.

8. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    My computer doesn't like BYC either, Mine stalls all the time when I'm on here, which is why I'm not on a lot.

Judy, are you going to the spencer show. (White River)???

Everyone that is close there I a chicken show at Spencer fairgrounds Sat. Aug 31, if anyone would like to go !!!

10. EmSteele

EmSteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The old man I posted about let his dog loose last night. He can't keep up with the dog and the mutt gets out and will terrorize trash bags, other dogs, and our yards. Well, last night his little mutt ATTACKED my dog in my front yard! My Pitbull pup is twice its size but he's a baby and won't bite unless someone is acting aggressive towards my kids. The old man sat by his car LAUGHING at his dog ATTACKING mine! I had to pick my hog of a dog up and throw him in my front door with my daughter and 2 nieces watching! Then the mutt tried tearing down my front door! Fortunately another neighbor saw what was happening (her daughter was outside watching too) and grabbed the mutt until the the old mans daughter got there to deal with it. Ugh! Sorry for rambling :-/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by