INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Quote:
    Awesome pix as always John! Your runners look pretty awesome! Guinea hens say buckwheat, buckwheat? and have really small waddles. Cocks are super aggressive and annoying, tictictic tic tic tic UGH!

2. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Wow the loss on the first day really sucks. Sorry to hear about this and other people's losses as well. We've lost a beautiful New Hampshire to natural causes, but not anything from attacks. Our coop/run is a fortress. I do worry about the free ranging now tho, since we've seen so many hawks in the area, one even landing on our coop and walking around the run checking for weaknesses in the fencing.Q
    Well our sunflower isn't 12-14 feet tall, but I measured it last night and it is exactly 11 feet. Tallest one I've grown, I think.

3. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    John your set-up really looks great. Do the ducks fly away? I've wondered that about people raising ducks. Do they all eventually fly away? Will they come back months later? Or do only some types of ducks leave? More importantly, do you have tinfoil hats for them?

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    jchnny- i dont bred dogs. i didnt plan on her having puppies it just happened. i was nt vry happy about it but i can only stay mad so long lol.

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I have muscovys and calls, they freerange, and none have ever flown away. I've heard of mallards flying away before. But I think that is the only breed I've ever heard of leaving.

6. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Old Salt 1945
    Awesome pictures and a fantastic place. Your birds have a great place to play. Your feeder & waterer pictures were nice, too. Thanks for sharing. Pictures always give me ideas. Again, being a city person with a tiny coop and postage stamp sized yard--your setup looks GREAT!!![​IMG]

Vickichicki
    Sorry to hear about your rooster loss. I'm so aggravated by stray dogs. If the dog was hungry and killed for food, that'd be one thing. To just kill for sport is totally another. Hugs to you! [​IMG]

7. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Indian Runner ducks don't fly, they run.

Long ago I had mallards. They flew south in a snow storm. Never saw them again. Not likely they survived without a feed bucket.

John

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Jchny2000 - you think I am ok to leave them? That's what I want to do but I wasn't sure if that week difference in development would put the others at risk. She's the mom. I suppose I can let her sort it out :)

Update: I should clarify, she's been on a clutch of eggs that are a week or so ahead of these new ones :/

9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

So I am keeping the chickens in the coop and run because of the hawk attack yesterday. Does anyone know how a hawks hunting works? If I leave them in for a few days, will he get bored and move on? I have had them free ranging for months with no issues until yesterday, so Im thinking hes a rogue. The six alpacas are out there with the chickens. The only difference was that yesterday the chickens were in a different part of the pasture away from the alpacas. I am going to try the fishing line thing today. I have a lot of trees to make a nice webbing of it about 12 feet above the ground over the pasture. I cant keep 11 lf chickens in a 4x6 coop with an attached 4x 8 run for ever. they are meant to free range. I think I will leave our dogs outside more for the next few days too. Our fenced in yard where the dogs go is only about 15 feet from the pasture. Any thoughts. I want this hawk gone. I wont kill it. I dont kill things and its illegal
    Also ,Old Salt, your chickens are beautiful! We love our Blue cochin roo and our wyandottes

10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    are any of them bantams? How old are they? We have hawks around our property. I've never lost a full grown chicken to one but I did lose a ten week old a few weeks ago and I suspect the hawk. Not sure of their hunting habits. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by