INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I love dogs, BUT if it comes on my property and attacks anything I'll shoot it. We don't have an animal control here, the cops will even tell you to shoot it. If it doesn't bother anything, it is welcome here, we have even brought them into the house till we can find the owner

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    I totally agree with A Mom.
    There is a state leash law in Indiana. Call the cops. If it happens again he can be fined. You are also in your legal rights to shoot the dog. If your pit bull retaliated I guarantee you would have to put it down even though the dog was on your property. Sounds like the neighbor is a real ***. Do not cut him any slack. Oh, hope he paid to fix the fence. If not you need to tell him to. Always take lots of pictures and do not let this type of person intimidate you.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    3 people like this.
  3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    That is ridiculous. Sounds like the old man didnt even care. People kill me, they dont reralize that you can shot their dog when it comes on your property. This is how the owner of the dog that killed almost all my chickens acted. Asked him nicley twice, still didnt care so we had the sherieff talk to him. He was rude to the sheriff! So then the sheriff told him how we could shot his dogs and charge him for all the chickens we lost (which came out to around $300). I still wish I would of charged him, but I didnt. You have a perfect reason to rambiling! Did your dog get hurt at all?

Thanks, but I am probably going to get her fixed in bluffton, hartford city, or ossian. Noblesville is over an hour away.

1 person likes this.
  4. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Well thanks for the hugs about my wee one. I am still in a state of shock over it.
    I appreciate the offer of a new rooster Sally however I was looking for a rooster to match my girls so I can breed them next year. My new guy was a perfect fit, right breed and right colours... Ugh.
    I am now to the point of thinking about eggs. It will give me more girls and I would get to choose which rooster I preferred too... Unless of course I come across another mature/ semi mature blue/splash/mottled bantam cochin. Which is more preferable as the lack of incubator.
    DH had a blonde moment last night and asked me why don't I just save the eggs from my girls I have now and hatch them out? I reminded them it take 'two to tango' to get those fertile to achieve this... Doh.

1 person likes this.
  5. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    John - I am loving your set up and your feeder. As I have been so busy I have not had time to build a few things I would like to see in my coops. May well steal your hopper idea for the feeder. Would be nice not having to hump feed out to the girls evey morning.

Pip - loving the coop and I am quite excited about seeing the final deal. Make sure you let us know when you link it to the build page. Did you consider entering it to the coop builds? Would be nice to have two articles featured. Also... Why have I not seen some update pictures of the girls? *taps foot

6. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    When did you loose him? Those eggs might be fertile. Hens can fertilize multiple eggs off one mating.

7. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN

Hi Vicki,
    Sorry to hear about your loss. If you decide to go the egg route, you could borrow my incubator. It's a Brinsea mini, so it only holds seven eggs, but that's probably good if you don't have lots of room for chickens. I'm done hatching for this year, so it is not in use now. Another option is that I could hatch them for you if you'd prefer. Either way, send me a pm if you are interested.

8. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    EM - sorry to hear about your jerk of a neighbour. They seem to be pretty common place here of late.
    I asked my neighbour who owns two great Danes if she had dogs loose on Wednesday. She said no, but when she let her girls out they were going crazy at the fence at my other neighbours dog that was out unleashed. Guess I may have found my culprit.
    As it happens last night while out chatting with my sister on the back porch a little well groomed dog come wondering over. DH picks it up, no collar.. We can see it is well looked after so we pop it in a carrier and start scowering the neighourhood. Hour later I hear a guy yelling... So I finally locate the guy and it is my neighbour. Apparently an out of town guest had popped his dog outside (must have gone back inside after doing this as the dog came from the front onto my deck without being noticed). In one way it make me chuckle I had stolen a dog as it was from only next door. On the other hand, it was let out unleashed and without supervision and made it onto my property which means it was a potentional threat to my chickens and my dogs. Should e dog happen on my deck again today you can beat your sweet behind I will be picking it up and taking it straight to the pound and the owners can pay to retrieve it.

DH and I have finally come to the agreement we need to move to something with a little more acarage when random stray dog and neighbours are less likely to happen... Yay house hunting!

9. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I had a hen I pulled out to show,. out of curiousity, I checked her eggs for fertility. and after 3 wks they were still fertile (didn't check after that) So I'd hatch those eggs.!!

10. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    He
    He was actually in quarantine for 7 hours before he got attacked. Best chicken mother ever.
    Only thing he did with the girls was see them.

One girl still has fertile eggs which I am assume they are from the Silkie Julie received. That has been a couple of weeks. Suprised I was still getting fertile. I have not crack any of hers for a few days, so I expect to see none fertile here soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by