INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So I am keeping the chickens in the coop and run because of the hawk attack yesterday. Does anyone know how a hawks hunting works? If I leave them in for a few days, will he get bored and move on? I have had them free ranging for months with no issues until yesterday, so Im thinking hes a rogue. The six alpacas are out there with the chickens. The only difference was that yesterday the chickens were in a different part of the pasture away from the alpacas. I am going to try the fishing line thing today. I have a lot of trees to make a nice webbing of it about 12 feet above the ground over the pasture. I cant keep 11 lf chickens in a 4x6 coop with an attached 4x 8 run for ever. they are meant to free range. I think I will leave our dogs outside more for the next few days too. Our fenced in yard where the dogs go is only about 15 feet from the pasture. Any thoughts. I want this hawk gone. I wont kill it. I dont kill things and its illegal
Also ,Old Salt, your chickens are beautiful! We love our Blue cochin roo and our wyandottes
I think the fishing line webbing is a good idea. Hawks like to swoop in, they usually don't dive straight down and anything that prevents them from getting a nice long run at the chickens will help.
They can also come in and perch in the trees and dive from there. But I think the fishing line can still be a deterrent there. And anything that will delay the hawk before he gets to the ground gives the chickens that much more time to get under cover. Another thing you can do if you have some spare pallets is either lean two up against each other like an A-frame, or add some legs to get them off the ground. Then set them out in your open areas. It gives the chickens cover to run under. That is what I have done in my run.

So I am keeping the chickens in the coop and run because of the hawk attack yesterday. Does anyone know how a hawks hunting works? If I leave them in for a few days, will he get bored and move on? I have had them free ranging for months with no issues until yesterday, so Im thinking hes a rogue. The six alpacas are out there with the chickens. The only difference was that yesterday the chickens were in a different part of the pasture away from the alpacas. I am going to try the fishing line thing today. I have a lot of trees to make a nice webbing of it about 12 feet above the ground over the pasture. I cant keep 11 lf chickens in a 4x6 coop with an attached 4x 8 run for ever. they are meant to free range. I think I will leave our dogs outside more for the next few days too. Our fenced in yard where the dogs go is only about 15 feet from the pasture. Any thoughts. I want this hawk gone. I wont kill it. I dont kill things and its illegal
Also ,Old Salt, your chickens are beautiful! We love our Blue cochin roo and our wyandottes

Hawks, like most wild animals, have to make a living or die. They cruise around looking for dinner and will take it unless they perceive danger - alpaca, dog, person.

Then they move on to find unprotected dinner. Then they will re-check their territory. If they find something now unprotected, bang, they're on it. They will return as long as the spot is productive (i.e. while you still have some chickens left).

I didn't see a post about fishing line. I seems to me it would act like a wire cheese cutter. If it didn't harm the hawk, he might have a hard time flying back up through the fishing line barricade to get away.

You might try a canine decoy. Or find a dead dog along the road and have it stuffed.

John

I strung fishing wire across our pasture, bought an owl decoy and put it on the fence post by where the hawk came in. He did it in front of me yesterday, so apparently he is desperate or has no fear. I called a bird watcher friend today and he said to keep the chickens put up for a couple of days until the hawk realizes there is no food here. I went out to put hinges on the silkie coop door today and sure enough I heard a hawk. Looked up and he was circling high up over our property. Same time as the attack yesterday. All of our chickens were put up and he moved on. So I will just keep this up until I dont see him anymore. Pretty sure it was the same hawk, his feathers were pretty torn up looking. He put up a pretty good fight with our fence yesterday. So Im sure he isnt too pretty today. Thanks old salt for the dog advice. Luckily I have 5 live dogs, within close range of the pasture, so I wont be needing a stuffed one ;).

I have made several versions of feeders from 5-gallon buckets. They more or less worked, but not well.

I made this feeder from some scrap 1/2" plywood. It works really, really well.

Note the 2x4 fencing on the front of it. It keeps the varmits from scratching or billing out the feed. I seldom see a pellet on the ground.
It holds 100# of feed.
There are 2 slanted baffles in it. The back baffle slopes toward the front to direct the feed toward the front. The other slopes toward the back baffle with a 1 inch gap between the two. The bottom on that baffle is 1 inch lower than the lip at the front.

Since I used 1/2 inch plywood, the joints are reinforced with cleats. The top has a 1/2" x 1/2" lip all around for a drip edge so water won't get into the hopper. Additionally, I set the feeder under the shade tarp. The tray has no rain protection, but poultry will eat wet feed. Actually, they prefer it wet.

John
Racin, I assembled it with a brad nailer, glue, and where needed, drywall screws. Everything was done in a "cut to fit" manner. Almost no measuring except to get it to fit the scrap plywood on hand. It's about 24 wide, 18 high, 16 deep.

John

Last edited:
I strung fishing wire across our pasture, bought an owl decoy and put it on the fence post by where the hawk came in. He did it in front of me yesterday, so apparently he is desperate or has no fear. I called a bird watcher friend today and he said to keep the chickens put up for a couple of days until the hawk realizes there is no food here. I went out to put hinges on the silkie coop door today and sure enough I heard a hawk. Looked up and he was circling high up over our property. Same time as the attack yesterday. All of our chickens were put up and he moved on. So I will just keep this up until I dont see him anymore. Pretty sure it was the same hawk, his feathers were pretty torn up looking. He put up a pretty good fight with our fence yesterday. So Im sure he isnt too pretty today. Thanks old salt for the dog advice. Luckily I have 5 live dogs, within close range of the pasture, so I wont be needing a stuffed one ;).

Yes, but your Chihuahua won't intimidate the hawk. More likely just add to the menu.

Stake one out in the middle of the chicken yard and stand by with a shotgun.

John

Last edited:
Yes, but your Chihuahua won't intimidate the hawk. More likely just add to the menu.

Stake one out in the middle of the chicken yard and stand by with a shotgun.

John
Hahaha. I considered using the shihtzus, but I feel our 60 lb boxer mix may have more of an impact. I will just have to keep her on the other side of the fence, she probably thinks the chickens are snausages that move. :)

I've wondered about the hawk hunting pattern also. Anybody else know?

Guess I should've read the next page before I asked again. Racin and Old Salt have some great ideas.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of my critters. The yard is 64' x 64'. The tarp is for shade. The coop is inside the barn. It is 8' x 16'. 14 week Blue Cochin rooster. I have 2. 14 week Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet. I have 5. 14 week Jersey Black Giant pullet. I have 4. Note the metallic blue-green sheen on the black feathers. It is really striking in direct sunlight. 18 week Buff Orpington pullet. I have 5. 14 week. Gold Laced Wyandotte pullet. I have 4. 14 week Blue Cochin pullet. I have 3. 2 Buff Cochin roosters in background. 14 week Pearl Guinea male, I think. I have (I think) 2 males, 1 female. Another 14 week SLW pullet. 18 week Gold Laced Wyandotte rooster. I have 2. 14 week Indian Runner ducks. I have 4 Blue, 2 Chocolate, 2 Fawn and White. John
your feeder and waterer are genius. So much better than the mess I deal with every day. And your birds are beautiful. I'm quite jealous of the Cochins. Maybe next year!

Back
Top Bottom