INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    If you decide to et another puppy, I have 10. They are just mutts, I am giving them away to good homes. They wont be ready for 2 months.

2. ldymelissande

ldymelissande Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have been looking for a home for the mean rooster, while he stays in the dog crate alone. All the others are living in their run, and being very nice when they free range.

I have one small problem though, well problem chicken I should say. The one that got named Baldy because of pasty butt. Everyone else is fat and sassy, when I pick this one up there is a prononced bone. Very very skinny bird. I am pulling it off to the side and feeding it irrst, but would appreciate any suggestions to fatten it up better. Oh and I have the feeling that the reason I haven't heard "him" crow is that I might have miss identified him. Comb has not grown and neither has the tail

3. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I am so sorry, I would be chewing him out! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Hope you reported it, Is you dog ok?

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG][​IMG] WOOOHOO!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Fantastic, I love the red!

[​IMG] beautiful polish

I have a few. 3 hens and a roo. My favorite is the red pyle, she is a beautiful color. My Roo is the similar color you described. I have a silver duckwing and a hen that matches the roo. They are really sweet lil birds. The red pile hops on my shoulder all the time. Mine wont be pure of any 1 color when they do start to lay, but are in their own breeding pen separated by breed. If i do go with a color, it will be the red pyle, I may get more next spring.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  6. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Thank you to all for your kind thoughts and message about Violet. I really have appreciate all of your support since all of you can relate to the loss of chickens. Although I hated to leave Adeline and my new chocolate bantam orp (yet to be named), it was good to have a change of pace and move our daughter Lauren back to IU. Our other daughter Meredith came down from Indy to help with the move while our son took care of the chickens in Eville.
    Photo of Violet and Adeline taken earlier this week:

[​IMG]

Today, we finished the little coop for Adeline and the bantam so they're spending their first night outside. They had a "mixer" with the other hens before bedtime. Ironically, my EE who is always picked on by the four other hens was the one who picked on the two orps. I gave her a lecture about bullying, but she didn't seem to be listening. The new chocolate bantam orp is so sweet and friendly. Adeline sadly still calls for Violet and she pecks at bantam if she gets too close. However, they are snuggled together tonight since it's chilly. I am wondering if Adeline will end up being a part of the LF flock and bantam will be left out. If I had known about Old Salt's blue cochin pullet, I might have swindled him out of her to be Adeline's buddy instead of giving her a pint-sized bantam mascot.
    [​IMG]

We do love the tiny ball of choclate fluff, though. I need to take photos of her tomorrow! She's a rich dark brown with big brown eyes. I wonder if she needs a bantam friend. I know people have said that bantams and LFs mix as far as mating, but when it comes to living in the same coop or being in the same flock of hens, how does that work?

7. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Ugh~ I just wrote messages about different posts, and then I skipped back to look at a post and my whole message was erased! I hate when that happens!! I usually have two windows open to avoid that, but I guess I'm tired. I'll try again tomorrow.

8. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Have you tried Firefox with one of the adblocker add ons?

I did try foxfire once didn't care much for it. Plus hate to change it for one site.

Planning on being there--can't find my entry form. Do you know when the deadline is (or was? :))
    Judy the deadline is Tuesday.

[​IMG]
    hope my daughter doesn't see this picture, she loves anything frizzled. Good group of birds !!!

Went to the wolf's giant swap today. It was a very nice turn out. A little bit of everything. Almost came home with modern game bantams, but want more than just pairs (3 pairs total that I saw, would rather of had a roo and the three hens). Plus they were adult birds and I don't really have a place to quarantine adult birds right now.

I'd gladly let you have my daughters, but she'd kill me she loves those long legged freaks !!

[​IMG]
    What a doll !!! I'm with you on the wolfhounds , I've always loved them. !!

[​IMG]
    Looks Great !!!

9. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Okay, I'll try again this morning. Pictures of the coop addition!

Here is the human door:

[​IMG]

You can also see one of the vents in this picture at the top right corner of the wall. There's another one of these vents on the opposite wall, both secured with hardware cloth, and I have covers for them for wintertime.

The chicken door:

[​IMG]

We got two of these latches for this door and put the other one on the wall to the right of it. This allows me to snap the pop door open so the hens can't close each other in. :rolleyes:

There will be a cinder block step beneath this door for them to use once I get the skirt down.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  10. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Windows with predator proofing:

[​IMG]

1/2 inch 19 gauge hardware cloth is over all the windows, secured with 1 inch screws and washers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by