INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Went to the wolf's giant swap today. It was a very nice turn out. A little bit of everything. Almost came home with modern game bantams, but want more than just pairs (3 pairs total that I saw, would rather of had a roo and the three hens). Plus they were adult birds and I don't really have a place to quarantine adult birds right now. So many puppy mills there, quite sad.

Speaking of puppies, my puppy will be 2 this November. I've been thinking of getting another puppy this spring, preferably an Irish wolfhound. Well, I was asked to puppy sit for my sister and brother in law. They have a 12 week old lab/Newfie mix. Let me just say this is like puppy birth control for me lol. I think 3 dogs is plenty for me right now. Here the little stinker.
2d30767ad56e407d5067f09798b9c831_zps54aaab8e.jpg
If you decide to et another puppy, I have 10. They are just mutts, I am giving them away to good homes. They wont be ready for 2 months.

I have been looking for a home for the mean rooster, while he stays in the dog crate alone. All the others are living in their run, and being very nice when they free range.

I have one small problem though, well problem chicken I should say. The one that got named Baldy because of pasty butt. Everyone else is fat and sassy, when I pick this one up there is a prononced bone. Very very skinny bird. I am pulling it off to the side and feeding it irrst, but would appreciate any suggestions to fatten it up better. Oh and I have the feeling that the reason I haven't heard "him" crow is that I might have miss identified him. Comb has not grown and neither has the tail

The old man I posted about let his dog loose last night. He can't keep up with the dog and the mutt gets out and will terrorize trash bags, other dogs, and our yards. Well, last night his little mutt ATTACKED my dog in my front yard! My Pitbull pup is twice its size but he's a baby and won't bite unless someone is acting aggressive towards my kids. The old man sat by his car LAUGHING at his dog ATTACKING mine! I had to pick my hog of a dog up and throw him in my front door with my daughter and 2 nieces watching! Then the mutt tried tearing down my front door! Fortunately another neighbor saw what was happening (her daughter was outside watching too) and grabbed the mutt until the the old mans daughter got there to deal with it. Ugh! Sorry for rambling :-/

I am so sorry, I would be chewing him out!
somad.gif
rant.gif
smack.gif
duc.gif
Hope you reported it, Is you dog ok?

EM - sorry to hear about your jerk of a neighbour. They seem to be pretty common place here of late.
I asked my neighbour who owns two great Danes if she had dogs loose on Wednesday. She said no, but when she let her girls out they were going crazy at the fence at my other neighbours dog that was out unleashed. Guess I may have found my culprit.
As it happens last night while out chatting with my sister on the back porch a little well groomed dog come wondering over. DH picks it up, no collar.. We can see it is well looked after so we pop it in a carrier and start scowering the neighourhood. Hour later I hear a guy yelling... So I finally locate the guy and it is my neighbour. Apparently an out of town guest had popped his dog outside (must have gone back inside after doing this as the dog came from the front onto my deck without being noticed). In one way it make me chuckle I had stolen a dog as it was from only next door. On the other hand, it was let out unleashed and without supervision and made it onto my property which means it was a potentional threat to my chickens and my dogs. Should e dog happen on my deck again today you can beat your sweet behind I will be picking it up and taking it straight to the pound and the owners can pay to retrieve it.

DH and I have finally come to the agreement we need to move to something with a little more acarage when random stray dog and neighbours are less likely to happen... Yay house hunting!

celebrate.gif
yesss.gif
WOOOHOO!!!!
Well thanks for the hugs about my wee one. I am still in a state of shock over it.
I appreciate the offer of a new rooster Sally however I was looking for a rooster to match my girls so I can breed them next year. My new guy was a perfect fit, right breed and right colours... Ugh.
I am now to the point of thinking about eggs. It will give me more girls and I would get to choose which rooster I preferred too... Unless of course I come across another mature/ semi mature blue/splash/mottled bantam cochin. Which is more preferable as the lack of incubator.
DH had a blonde moment last night and asked me why don't I just save the eggs from my girls I have now and hatch them out? I reminded them it take 'two to tango' to get those fertile to achieve this... Doh.
lau.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Well said, he wont be laughing when he gets hit with some fines.

Well, it's done! Save for a few spots that need repainting and moving the fence over to the pop door, of course.
smile.png

ETA: It won't let me upload the other pictures for some reason, so I guess I'll try again later.
hu.gif
Fantastic, I love the red!

Took some of the chicks outside today. 3 tolbunt polish, pair of legbars, and rhodebar pullet
20130817_170420_zps0aa72142.jpg

20130817_170434_zpsbcfa986b.jpg

I really hope these get more brown in them
20130817_170438_zpse470674d.jpg

20130817_170504_zps706c8846.jpg

My favorite, the frizzled tolbunt
20130817_170509_zps126e8ad0.jpg

20130817_170600_zps1730193b.jpg

And just because I think he's pretty, my Birchen Marans roo.
20130817_172959_zps350a8f29.jpg

20130817_173002_zps0dd28d2b.jpg

20130817_173017_zps3eafeac1.jpg
love.gif
beautiful polish

Hey guys, just went to the KY state fair and saw the bantam old English games. They are so stinking cute! I love the ones with the bright golden hackles, red wings, black chest, and the long green tails. Any one on here breed the tiny old English games?
I have a few. 3 hens and a roo. My favorite is the red pyle, she is a beautiful color. My Roo is the similar color you described. I have a silver duckwing and a hen that matches the roo. They are really sweet lil birds. The red pile hops on my shoulder all the time. Mine wont be pure of any 1 color when they do start to lay, but are in their own breeding pen separated by breed. If i do go with a color, it will be the red pyle, I may get more next spring.

Last edited:
Thank you to all for your kind thoughts and message about Violet. I really have appreciate all of your support since all of you can relate to the loss of chickens. Although I hated to leave Adeline and my new chocolate bantam orp (yet to be named), it was good to have a change of pace and move our daughter Lauren back to IU. Our other daughter Meredith came down from Indy to help with the move while our son took care of the chickens in Eville.
Photo of Violet and Adeline taken earlier this week:

Today, we finished the little coop for Adeline and the bantam so they're spending their first night outside. They had a "mixer" with the other hens before bedtime. Ironically, my EE who is always picked on by the four other hens was the one who picked on the two orps. I gave her a lecture about bullying, but she didn't seem to be listening. The new chocolate bantam orp is so sweet and friendly. Adeline sadly still calls for Violet and she pecks at bantam if she gets too close. However, they are snuggled together tonight since it's chilly. I am wondering if Adeline will end up being a part of the LF flock and bantam will be left out. If I had known about Old Salt's blue cochin pullet, I might have swindled him out of her to be Adeline's buddy instead of giving her a pint-sized bantam mascot.

We do love the tiny ball of choclate fluff, though. I need to take photos of her tomorrow! She's a rich dark brown with big brown eyes. I wonder if she needs a bantam friend. I know people have said that bantams and LFs mix as far as mating, but when it comes to living in the same coop or being in the same flock of hens, how does that work?

Ugh~ I just wrote messages about different posts, and then I skipped back to look at a post and my whole message was erased! I hate when that happens!! I usually have two windows open to avoid that, but I guess I'm tired. I'll try again tomorrow.

Have you tried Firefox with one of the adblocker add ons?

I did try foxfire once didn't care much for it. Plus hate to change it for one site.

Planning on being there--can't find my entry form. Do you know when the deadline is (or was? :))
Judy the deadline is Tuesday.

20130817_170509_zps126e8ad0.jpg

hope my daughter doesn't see this picture, she loves anything frizzled. Good group of birds !!!

Went to the wolf's giant swap today. It was a very nice turn out. A little bit of everything. Almost came home with modern game bantams, but want more than just pairs (3 pairs total that I saw, would rather of had a roo and the three hens). Plus they were adult birds and I don't really have a place to quarantine adult birds right now.

I'd gladly let you have my daughters, but she'd kill me she loves those long legged freaks !!

2d30767ad56e407d5067f09798b9c831_zps54aaab8e.jpg

What a doll !!! I'm with you on the wolfhounds , I've always loved them. !!

Looks Great !!!

Okay, I'll try again this morning. Pictures of the coop addition!

Here is the human door:

You can also see one of the vents in this picture at the top right corner of the wall. There's another one of these vents on the opposite wall, both secured with hardware cloth, and I have covers for them for wintertime.

The chicken door:

We got two of these latches for this door and put the other one on the wall to the right of it. This allows me to snap the pop door open so the hens can't close each other in. :rolleyes:

There will be a cinder block step beneath this door for them to use once I get the skirt down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom