INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Also, if anyone is good at sexing Silkies, I'd be glad to hear what you think of Marka / Margaret, the Silkie I got from Brad. I thought for sure it was a cockerel, but now I have people telling me it looks like a pullet. :confused:

I made a thread with a few more pictures, too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/815820/16-18-week-old-silkie-is-he-a-she Of course, those that have responded are 50/50 pullet and cockerel. :lol:

I just saw this post while catching up on what I've missed over the past few days. Whoops! :oops: I never posted their 3 month pictures here, did I? These are from Monday:

Huka the Silver Lakenvelder:

Ihi the Golden Campine, on her last tail feather (she's lost it since then) :

Marama the Egyptian Fayoumi:

Po baby the little MAN! (Err, Black Cochin bantam) :

Rangi the Ancona!!

:love

Roha the Exchequer Leghorn:

Tiwhiri the lovely Light Brown Leghorn:

And Hika Ma is a jerk so I'm not going to include him here. :/

As usual, beautiful pics! Marama is looking more and more like my Fayoumi girl I bet you'll see a very independent streak with her. Mine takes no bull, even from my biggest Roos, even the turkeys. And she's so thin and petite.

Is Twahiri a boy or girl? I'm not sure based on looking at a comparison with Roha, since they're both leghorns.

Whiri is a beautiful young lady. :) Male LB Leghorns feather in a completely different coloration, as a picture posted earlier in this thread shows:

Her comb is huge, though! Already, she's got a comb the size of some of my adult hens' combs! I suspect out of the six little girls, I'll be seeing the first white eggs from Whiri. ;)

Last edited:
A little awhile ago I posted that one of my chicks I hatched injured its leg. I tried wrapping it like Chickens said said to but that was really hard to do on a little foot and it wouldn't stay on. It's still injured and I don't know what to do now. Thoughts?

Is the chick limping or is it just not putting any weight on the leg? The only thing I can think of to do is to splint the leg or make a sling to keep the chick off that leg. :/

Okay, I did a little research and came across this: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry Read through, it has a LOT of info about issues with chicks' and chickens' legs.

I also was seeing mention of vitamin deficiency causing chicks to limp or struggle. It wouldn't hurt to provide your chick with a vitamin supplement in its water, such as Sav-a-Chick, which can usually be found at the feed store.

Last edited:
The old man I posted about let his dog loose last night. He can't keep up with the dog and the mutt gets out and will terrorize trash bags, other dogs, and our yards. Well, last night his little mutt ATTACKED my dog in my front yard! My Pitbull pup is twice its size but he's a baby and won't bite unless someone is acting aggressive towards my kids. The old man sat by his car LAUGHING at his dog ATTACKING mine! I had to pick my hog of a dog up and throw him in my front door with my daughter and 2 nieces watching! Then the mutt tried tearing down my front door! Fortunately another neighbor saw what was happening (her daughter was outside watching too) and grabbed the mutt until the the old mans daughter got there to deal with it. Ugh! Sorry for rambling :-/
I had something similar happen. I told the dog owner I was going to sue for vet bills, lost wages from me missing a day at work, he paid up. Since you have witnessess, you have that on your side. Also, if you have a gun I think you are within your rights to shoot and kill a dog attacking your dog, if this is on your property.

Back
Top Bottom