INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] Glad to see you back! Hehe, chicken math disease has gone viral here!

2. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN

Impressive!! I did three more yesterday. Picked the loudest crowers. Out of 19, I'm down to just three to go. That seems to be the most I can find time for in one day. To do 11 would take me about 10 solid hours at this point. No more straight run for me. I will say though, it is nice to see the girls actually come out of the coop now.

3. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Yeah right lol. Lots of activity with that level. Depends on what you want, I'd say one rooster for that many girls. Hey, from that perspective, chickens have it made, eh?

4. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    That's funny, how you picked the loudest crowers. They can get a bit noisey, eh? How many roosters are you going to keep? What ratio to hens would that be?

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I just put a few drops on each bird.

I want to get the frontline spray, very good idea, and I like their products. Ivermec pour on is supposed to help, will try to find the info on the post.
    Verbazen is another drop on medication, and a more broad spectrum than Ivermec but more pricy.
    No kidding, I am very curious to see that bird! [​IMG] most people do not want a roo.

I've never heard of Verbazen. I'll have to look that one up. I have one called Valbazen, that I worm my goats with,

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i wish i could sell roosterq for $30. i do hope that find him a home. And like john said he heard they laued colorful double yoker eggs, they might just not have a hard time finding a home lol.

7. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I'm planning to get down to two Roos with 14 hens. I have 3 Cochins left to process this week. The plan right now is to keep the Fayoumi and the Buff Polish. But I may have to try to find a home for the Buff Polish. He is gorgeous, but with that crest, he can't see the Fayoumi coming, and it usually ends badly. He's not really worth processing, but I will if I have to. Future plans are when my Cream Legbar boys get old enough, I'm going to put my backup in with the layer flock while my primary is in with the legbar girls.

8. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    And about cold weather, I don't insulate or heat my coop, but I provide a heated water bucket during the day only. My Sebright bantams have never had a problem in cold weather. :) Seriously, chickens do fine in cold weather, it's heat that should be the concern. And on the same subject, I would like to post a reminder that heat lamps are a fire hazard and it only takes one fire to devastate a flock. advertising removed by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013
  9. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    I brought home one bantam hen this weekend and now she's running around her part of the yard looking for friends. This is sad to watch. I should have brought home two of them so that she wouldn't be lonely. Everyone else was raised with at least one or two of the other birds. With this kind of thinking, I should probably expand the run or make the garden more predator safe.

The little Appenzellers are out of quarantine and in the chicken yard now but sticking tightly together. They are so much smaller than our other chickens but they are mighty! My red sex-link seems to have become top hen lately. I am not sure when that happened but she is keeping everyone in line today.

Happy Monday. Its my first day with everyone in school and my husband is working out of town. What a quiet house I have today...

10. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Bird lady- welcome back! Good luck keeping up!!

Cr- my DH is out of town today too!! Now I can get some things done!! So nice and quiet!!

Farkerfarms- I saw your coup on CL last night. Good deal for $200!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by