INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I have two Sebright Roos. One should probably go. I have a white silkie roo that came from Victoria (he will stay) but I am pretty sure at least one of my other silkies is a boy as well. I have a buff Brahma roo that I've had a couple of years. I'll keep him and the red frizzle roo a friend gave me. That's a lot of boys. Victoria's silkie is young so he's pretty , uh, active. If the silkie I suspect is a boy really is, he should probably go to keep peace. The young one is 15 wks now I think. Doesn't really act like a roo but he's getting good sized comb and wattles and they are turning red.

Now that I know the EE is a girl I'm
    A little less worried about it. I hate getting rid of any of them but if I found a good home for the Sebright I'd do it.

I guess I'm at 5 possibly 6 Roos to 15 girls. That's not so bad, right? ;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I just need more hens! Lol

3. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    I have been battling mites big time this year--never had that problem before. Crest mites in the Polish are a given, and have had an occasional chicken with mites, but they have been awful lately. They're easy to overlook even though you handle the bird if you're not looking for them in the right places--generally don't crawl out onto you until the infestation is really heavy.
    My breeding and show stock gets a dose of Frontline spray applied with a syringe every 5-6 weeks with extra dusting if I see a problem. Everybody else gets dusted as needed. What is weird is that one bird in a pen can been infested and the others in the same pen are clear. Some chickens must taste better than others.

4. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    What is the frontline spray so I can get some?

5. danand

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    And how do you treat the crest or Pom-Pom heads on silkies with out getting it in their eyes?

6. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I'm not sure if I have ever talked about how I brood my chicks on here or not, so here it goes. It seems like I always have chicks around here and quite honestly, I look for the easy way to do things. All chicks are brooded in the house in a spare bedroom for the first couple weeks and can handle the temps outside with out heat (or when mostly feathered out and heat when it's still cold outside). For these I use totes. But when they et moved out to the garage u til they are big enough to mix with the existing flock, I have found that large cardboard boxes work great! Of course working at Lowes, I have access to these pretty easily with the number of appliances getting sold and delivered daily. I typically use a washer/dryer box or small refrigerator. I lay these so they have the most floor space and cut the top off. Prior to them learning how to fly out, I attach bird netting over the top.

I have found this the easiest, cheapest, and most sanitary way to brood chicks. Once they move out, I shovel out the bedding and throw it on the bedding pile. Then I simply burn the old boxes. I don't have to worry about any diseases or parasites that may be transferred to the chicks. No extra cleaning and scrubbing old brooders, getting it ready for new chicks. I will work on getting pictures tomorrow.

But anyone constantly brooding chicks, I high,y recommend this method as it has worked great for me!

2 people like this.
  7. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
  8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    someone is trying to sell an Easter egger rooster for $30 on craigslist!....of course they have it listed as an araucana.

9. danand

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Owch!!!$35!!! Wonder if one of the mail order places has something cheaper!

10. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    this would last a VERY long time though.

i saw that too, and laughed. I'm lucky to be able to give a rooster away let alone get $30 for one. I wish them the best though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by