INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. EmSteele

EmSteele Songster

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    We went to my husband's grandmothers house yesterday and she gave us the nesting boxes that his grandpa built 20+ years ago...he's been gone 10 years next March.

2. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Songster

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    No suspension bridge? Bummer! Haven't been there for years, but love that park. Tried to face my fear of heights there--didn't work, still afraid. Glad you had a good day!

What a lovely gift--so meaningful!

Jchnny, happy that you had a good time. Was afraid you would get rained out Saturday evening.

3. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Songster

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Thank you Sally and John for your suggestion on the coop door. We also have the owls, so our coop will basically be wrapped top to bottom with hardware cloth. After losing one hen, its just too hard to explain to our kids what happened to our chickens. It was easier to use the hardware cloth.

Mother to Hens- Yes we planned it to look like a playhouse, in case this chicken thing didn't work out. Fortunately we seem to be doing ok with them and hope to continue on into the future.

I agree that other than shelter, its for the humans. I was told if we were having a chicken coop, it couldn't be something we didn't want to look at. Its almost all for us. [​IMG]

Vicki- do you know how to make crumpets? Do we have the ingredients over here? It sounds like it might be fun to figure out if you haven't had them in 10 years. UGH. I can't imagine how much you might miss some things (and/or people). I miss food just from another state.

4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Crowing

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    That might work. By chance are you going to the chicken show in Lebanon? I was thinking about when I was going to pick up the puppies and I noticed that it was going to be in Oct close to the show dates. If you are not going, maybe I can still get them that day, just later in the day. Can you believe that the chicken area opens up at 6:30 AM? I guess there are morning chicken people. My poor chickens don't typically see me till after 8 am. I make sure my children and me too eat first, then the chickens get fed if they are little. The big ones get out to free range and fed around 5pm.

5. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Songster

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    The chicken area opens that early so that those of us who didn't coop in the night before can get them in there. And even if we did coop in, there is all that last minute "beautifying" to be done. Somebody has always pooped and wallowed in it, [​IMG] in addition to the other spiffing up.

Hope to see you and other BYCers there!

6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Crowing

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    What time do you think chicken fans who don't have a bird in the show should show up. I don't want to get in the way of people trying to bathe their chickens.

7. pginsber

pginsber Songster

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hi, Indy & nearby surrounding folk--
    My 20 wk old cream legbar has been down for 4 weeks. We tried Vit B therapy, with only brief and temporary improvement. We want to take her to a chicken vet.
    What are your recommendations? We know of All Wild Things and Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic.
    Do you know of anybody else that specializes in CHICKENS, not just exotics?
    Do you have recommendations between the 2 I mention, if there's no CHICKEN vets nearby?
    Much appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Crowing

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I think there is a bird vet in Franklin. There were a few posts a mile back listing the bird doctors around indy.

9. julie0477

julie0477 Songster

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    there is. I've never been but I've called. I believe it's called hillview.

10. pginsber

pginsber Songster

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN

Thanks much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by