INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I got to come up with something for my silkies and bantam cochins (if they hatch) and might just have to do something like this. For housing, I think Im going to pick up a couple of these from work and put down vinyl flooring in it to protect the floor. They are currently on clearance (and anyone near Marion, IN better not come in and take the ones Im going to buy! LOL). http://www.lowes.com/pd_327020-8578...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo= And if we sell out of those before I get a chance to buy them (trying to get a manager to go cheaper on them, what can I say, Im cheap!), Ill consider these for the same price, but smaller. http://www.lowes.com/pd_42252-60636...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo= I think both could be converted to a small bantam coop. Probably had lay boxes to the exterior and the roof is hinged/removable for cleaning.

2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I went to a lot of work to make nice roosts for these ingrates. Look where they sleep.
    6 on the roost (top rail only, of course). 19 on top of the nest boxes. Rotten chickens!

[​IMG]

The cage between the water buckets is a quarantine cage for the 2 month old Cream Legbar pullets.

Not for disease; just for acclimatizing to the other chickens. Don't want them beat up.

John

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Mine get in big trouble for trying to sleep in the nesting boxes. My pullets have finally learned, not to sleep and have found 2 eggs in them. Of cousre some still lay on the floor and one lays in an od feeder that I am going to remove. they also try to sleep on it. and 3 sleep on a hay rack that I probably am going to remove. 1 of my black cochins sleeps on the floor right in front of the door! They make no sense! But i have convinced 4 to sleep on the roosts I made for them. My blue cochin sleeps there ever since I saved her from the hay rack.

4. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Great pics!
    My dh doesn't say he's intrigued but yesterday he asked me to give him some when I brought home mealworms for the chickens and he offers to go close the coop up every night if its already dark out. I take it as a good sign that he also knows all the names of those with names. Also on this three day weekend that was the season opener for college football he was out working in the coop instead of watching games so I think I can keep him! We have to have a sense of humor to survive with two small children, a teenager, him working from home, a dog, cat, all these chickens, and me a stay at home mom. If we didn't, someone wouldn't make it out alive [​IMG]. Here are updated pics. You can see that we still have a long way to go but we made a lot of progress this weekend. [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG] I'm not sure if they are in the right place because I'm on my phone. In one you can see the shingles up on the one side of the roof. The other one shows the new covered porch area and the door frame. The door is just waiting for paint. I need to change out some of the fencing to be the hardware cloth but that should be complete tomorrow. Also on the right of the door frame is a 5'section which will actually be opened up later to a 5'x16' extended run. I used to be stingy about my garden space getting used by the chickens but that was before I knew how much is love them. We ran out of tar paper for the roof and roofing nails. How many chickens do you have? Does anyone have a solar fan for the coop? I'm loving my solar lights but I haven't looked into a fan yet.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Your coop looks great!

6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    what is the date of the Bloomington show again? I'm thinking September.
    as long as the top is also covered, I think you would be good. We have owl troubles so everything needs a top at night.
    http://www.raincreekpottery.com/Pages/HoopCoopChickenTractor.aspx
    these plans should be easily modified for size. That said, my DH took these lovely plans and made me a box coop that is very very heavy. He is the only one to move it and some days it takes both of us to shove his coop around.
    But these kinds of coops are not animal proof, there really is no easy way to prevent digging animals and have the coop movable with the chickens on the ground. I have seen some tractors that have a hardware cloth floor. It increases the weight, prevents chicken dusting, and makes it harder for you to walk into the tractor for feeding and watering.

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Is anyone on here looking for a rooster. I have a few listed on CL. But the price there takes into account the wheeling and dealing that most CL people like to do. I'm trying to rehome the following roosters:
    BLRW just over 1/2 a year old
    Barred Rock just over 1/2 yr old
    a mixed .5 RIR and .5 BLRW at about 15 weeks old
    a Buff Brama close to 15 weeks old

We are thinking that either this Saturday or the next will be processing day.
    I have some other birds on CL too even a couple of female ducks. If you call and mention that you are on here, we can work out a deal. But mainly I need some roosters gone or they will be chicken soup. These are nice roosters and will not make good fighters, another reason for the high CL prices.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I am looking for a barred rock rooster. But cannot drive the 2 or 3 hrs to you for many different reasons. Unless you want to bring him with you when you come get your puppies in roughly 5 weeks!

9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    amen. It's been a rough(er) year for me too. And the Internet ... Well sometimes ignorance really is bliss! I hope you find the chicken :). Maybe it's broody somewhere. Hopefully.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana

Thank you and i doubt she is broody as she hasent even layed her first egg yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by