INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Some of our pullets started laying a couple of weeks ago -- a few more seem to join them each week. Currently we have 23 pullets & 11 hens (last year's pullets). I'm thinking perhaps some of the older girls are going through a molt or are just off because of the weather as some of you also mentioned. About 3 weeks ago we were averaging 4 eggs a day. This past week we started getting 11 eggs every day, then 13, then 15. The grand total so far today....19! And some of them tend to wait until evening to lay.

We had friends here for the weekend & decided to make eggs over the campfire for breakfast. Chloe donated the eggs from her birds -- she cracked up & scrambled 8 dozen quail eggs for the 9 of us. Boy were they yummy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I just now read an email from jchny/Janet saying that she is not able to access the internet during her camping trip. She should be happy! She's probably worried about getting behind on posts . . . luckily it seems like we haven't had as many posts this holiday weekend, so it shouldn't be overwhelming.

Pbirdhaven~
    I was wondering about your show terms, too. Thanks for the explanation! I figured that stubs were rubber caps that went over the rooster's spurs. haha After I read your post, I was going to ask you, but then I thought I'd google it. I couldn't find anything that made sense, so I was going to ask you, but I forgot until I saw danad's inquiry. I'm glad you enlightened me-- I wasn't even thinking about feather stubs.

Your thoughts about grieving were engaging. I just wish that the general public was aware that creatures, like humans, grieve, so that creatures could be given compassion.
    CRSelvey~ I love the mohawk feathers on the heads of your Appenzellers. haha Does your DH admit to being intrigued by the chickens? Or does he prefer to act like he's indifferent, so he can keep a cap on the count? You and your husband sound like you have a great relationship. A sense of humor is very important, and I appreciate yours. Congrats for getting so much work completed on your huge project. I want to see a video when the helicopter hovers over to place the cupola on the roof of your coop!

Although my coop and run are way smaller than yours, mine is all one unit with a main door/buried hardware wire, etc., I just lock the front door and the nesting box access door using carbinger locks. I don't even shut the door to my coop/box section because there's more air flow with it open and my RIR likes to roost on the top of the box door. She's the only hen who can fit in that small area. Even though Nene is the smallest hen, she makes up for size by her assertiveness (shrieking).

Btw, does anyone know the correct terminology of the parts of a coop? We all call the structure the coop, but I remember reading somewhere that the box part that contains the nighttime perches is actually the coop and the rest is the run. If so, it seems like there would be a term for the whole structure besides "coop." Is this question keeping anyone else up at night?

Julie & Old Salt~ Funny "parenthood" stories. Not funny at the time, I'm sure, but they make good memories. Adorable photo John, but does the photo have a sepia, old-fashioned look on purpose because your daughter couldn't be that old!

Peaceful Walls~ Looks like an idyllic holiday! Fresh eggs in the fresh air. What a pretty scene.

1 person likes this.
  3. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    need to make a chicken tractor... what do you guys suggest? gets windy here in the flat area.

4. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    This posting actually qualifies for this forum. She was an excellent pullet and at 44, she's still a good egg. The photo was taken during my photography phase. I developed the film and printed the picture in my darkroom, applying sepia toner. Camera was a Mamia C3 twin lens reflex using 120 b&w roll film. In the original, you can count the fine little baby hairs on her head.

[​IMG]

I got my 5th egg yesterday and laughed myself silly. I've been weighing them in grams and so far it's been 42, 42, 48, 50. This last one was 30! Kind of an extra large song bird egg.

[​IMG]

John

1 person likes this.
  5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I have a chicken tractor that I inherited through several dealings. It is made from 2x4's and 4x4's and OSB. It weighs a ton. I can't move it by myself. Don't make yours like that. The last time I moved it, I used the forklift attachment on my tractor.

If I were going to make one, I would make a rectangular 2x4 base and use plywood triangles as gussets to brace the corners. Make the uprights and top with plywood gusseted corners. Make a plywood box for the house part and bolt it to the end, raised up from the ground a foot or so. Give it a slanted roof. A ramp to the house part. Think weight. It adds up quickly. Put a pair of wheels on the house end. The bigger, the better for the wheels. Mine broke from the weight.

Alternatively, make it from 2" PVC pipe and use tie-down stakes to keep it from blowing away. Super easy to move around. Not secure against predators unless you put fencing on top, sides, AND bottom.

There are tons of plans/examples on the internet.

John

1 person likes this.
  6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I feel like I have just had some bad luck this year. I know people have had worse but I wish I could go 3 months without finding something wrong with one of my chickens. I posted on here yesterday about my partically blind juvinelle ameraucana. Which he will be able to adjust to living with as long as something does not happen to his other eye. I went out to inspect the other juvinelles in the same pen with him, just to make sure no more were blind or anything. My other black AM has a cross beak! I just had this problem a month or two ago with a chick from the same batch. Its baeak isnt bad yet, but I know will get increaslingly bad over time. I Havent decided if I am just going to go ahead and cull it or not. But whatever I do there is no way i am going to let it get to the point of the last one. It isnt losing weight yet. Maybe I should just let it live as long as it can comforatably and then cull it.

And then saturday I went into my barn and 2 chickens were lose in my barn and only 2 were in a pen where there should of been 8. So 4 were missing. I had to serach for them in weeds that were over my head. Yes I need to mow my pasture. I found 2 that night. then one was waiting for me at the barn door sunday morning and 1 is still missing.

7. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    This is a small (about 4 x 6) tractor that I bought at a swap at Knox a couple of years ago. The other end is just like the one that shows. The frame is 2 x 4s set up as John explained. The hoop is pvc pipe covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth; pipe insulation covers the edges of the hardware cloth. I have a pair of bantam cochins (was a trio but one hen died) with a small doghouse. It could house two LF hens without too much crowding, but perching on a roost would be a problem. The bantams can actually get on top of the doghouse if they choose; however they usually prefer to snuggle down inside.

I can move it myself, and when I want to change the bedding, I just upend it--it will stand on its end.

[​IMG]

If you look closely, you can see a hen on top of the doghouse, another hen in the corner, and Bowling Ball at the edge of the tarp.

8. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    Unfortunately it isn't so much your bad luck as it is the norm for living with chickens. [​IMG] I hope that your missing chicken returns. My Appenzeller hen Houdini (guess why!) was gone for about 3 weeks, then suddenly was in the Brahma pen looking at me like, "What's the big deal?" So don't give up on her yet.

9. Birdylady3

Birdylady3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Whew I am beat! I just clean the ducks pond out. We don't have a pump so I had to do it all by bucket and a homemade scoop. Yuck![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the new pond we made out of an old pool. Minis the stones.
    [​IMG]
    This was the old pond.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I know, I know, but a lot more has happened this year than last year. And I need to stop reading things on the internet, becuase all the diseases and things I read about just make me worry lol. Wow, 3 weeks! I was going to give up all hope of her coming home after a week, but now I wont. If she hasnt come home in a month I am just going to assume she became a coyotes supper :(.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by