INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Finally caught up! Loved all the pics too. I was going into chicken withdrawal being gone since Saturday morning! I have sprint for our wireless card and phones. Liberty's tower was down all weekend
barnie.gif
So I had to suffer without BYC and internet all weekend! Got an email off to M2H when we went to Richmond at least. Had a good visit with Mom and Pop in law too. DH went fishing, I wound up staying at camp, wanted to clean and dust the camper. Got to visit with old friends, lots of laughs!
Realized summers about over too.
sad.png
So much left I want to do! I have 2 EE hens at point of lay, and several GLW pullets also I want to sell. If anyone is interested please PM me. Will be working on the roosters this week too. If anyone wants EE or GLW roos they are free to you guys. Going to put them on craigslist later in the week.

I went to a lot of work to make nice roosts for these ingrates. Look where they sleep.
6 on the roost (top rail only, of course). 19 on top of the nest boxes. Rotten chickens!

The cage between the water buckets is a quarantine cage for the 2 month old Cream Legbar pullets.

Not for disease; just for acclimatizing to the other chickens. Don't want them beat up.

John
Would you really want to try to sleep with those upper echelon chickens inches away waiting to peck your eyes out? They're trying to tell that Ungrateful Egg Eater that chickens want to be on the same level! Do you sleep on a trundle bed?
wink.png

On another note-- nice photography!
pbirdhaven~ I take it that Bowling Ball is a chicken? We finally decided to go ahead and name our English chocolate bantam orp "Bonbon" even though it's a French word. She looks like the shape of a bonbon-- or bowling ball!
jchny~ We love ya on the thread, too! I just meant that while you're getting away from it all by camping that maybe you'd enjoy an internet break. Glad you had a nice trip.

CRSelvey~ Your coop looks like one of those fancy playhouses that some lucky kids have built for them. It's beautiful! Great job.
Birdylady~ You'll have to post a picture after there are ducks and water in your new pool. They are really cute.

Hi All, I was wondering if the run and coop are fully enclosed with hardware cloth and its buried two feet out, do we need to worry about closing up the chicken door each day or just let them be? What do you think?
That's how we enclosed our coop and run. Hardware cloth, along with 2x4 welded wire are buried 2 feet out horizontally, and that is up 2 feet vertically from the ground. Nothing can get in, I've seen cooper's hawks walking around looking for an entrance, and at night I'm sure there've been other creatures. My chickens feel safe enough that they sleep outside on a roost I have more welded wire around that area so racoons can't reach thru. Of course, there is the usual squabbling about who sleeps where. I suppose when it gets colder they will go in the coop. The pop door is always open.

Yes, peacefull walls, great morning pictures of the scrambled eggs.
Great pics!

My dh doesn't say he's intrigued but yesterday he asked me to give him some when I brought home mealworms for the chickens and he offers to go close the coop up every night if its already dark out. I take it as a good sign that he also knows all the names of those with names. Also on this three day weekend that was the season opener for college football he was out working in the coop instead of watching games so I think I can keep him!

We have to have a sense of humor to survive with two small children, a teenager, him working from home, a dog, cat, all these chickens, and me a stay at home mom. If we didn't, someone wouldn't make it out alive
1f604.png

Here are updated pics. You can see that we still have a long way to go but we made a lot of progress this weekend.
[/URL]

I'm not sure if they are in the right place because I'm on my phone. In one you can see the shingles up on the one side of the roof. The other one shows the new covered porch area and the door frame. The door is just waiting for paint. I need to change out some of the fencing to be the hardware cloth but that should be complete tomorrow. Also on the right of the door frame is a 5'section which will actually be opened up later to a 5'x16' extended run. I used to be stingy about my garden space getting used by the chickens but that was before I knew how much is love them. We ran out of tar paper for the roof and roofing nails.

How many chickens do you have?

Does anyone have a solar fan for the coop? I'm loving my solar lights but I haven't looked into a fan yet.
Your coop/run looks great! Remember all the birds need is shelter, the rest is for the humans. We have no solar fan, but the solar night lights/security lamp works great.

someone just told me my chicken i thought was blind could have ocular mareks. i looked at pics and it dosent really look the same. i will have to look at its eye again when i get home. I swear people are trying to give me a heart attack.

Finally caught up! Loved all the pics too. I was going into chicken withdrawal being gone since Saturday morning! I have sprint for our wireless card and phones. Liberty's tower was down all weekend :barnie So I had to suffer without BYC and internet all weekend! Got an email off to M2H when we went to Richmond at least. Had a good visit with Mom and Pop in law too. DH went fishing, I wound up staying at camp, wanted to clean and dust the camper. Got to visit with old friends, lots of laughs!
Realized summers about over too. :( So much left I want to do! I have 2 EE hens at point of lay, and several GLW pullets also I want to sell. If anyone is interested please PM me. Will be working on the roosters this week too. If anyone wants EE or GLW roos they are free to you guys. Going to put them on craigslist later in the week.

I too realize summer is coming to a close. We not longer are selling peaches or cantaloupes and the rest of the stuff is slowly dwindling.
I have a few things I would like to accomplish on the coops before the weather starts getting cold. With two of them being lean-to style on the mini barn, I want to cut access to the barn and section off some sleeping areas so they are to be fully enclosed and not have to rely on tarps to batten down the hatches.
Thinking I may sell my rock hens and maybe look into your GLW's. I would also love an EE Roo, but with mr lavender being a boy, I think two would be too many.

Just caught up from the weekend. Hope you all had a nice one. We went to Turkey Run yesterday. Man am I feeling it today!! I always love going there and walking through the gorges. The closure of the suspension bridge does make for an extra few miles of hiking that my legs are not used to. Good thing the creek was super low. We walked right across the sand and cut the walk down considerably . Anyway. when we got home yesterday, I found 6 eggs in the coop. 1 was in the run, it was a SLW pullet egg. The other 5 were all in the same nesting box, even though we have 4 boxes for 9 girls.
idunno.gif
There was Peaches (EE) usual perfect pink egg, 2 more little brown SLW pullet eggs, Godiva's gigantic Australorp egg (doesn't ever fit in a carton), and a little cream colored flat sided egg. I'm pretty sure it was Lavender's, our Cochin. It is the second cream colored flat sided egg I have found, so I know that the same girl is laying them. They are new layers, so I am wondering if that is why the eggs aren't quite right yet. She is also my "faker". She will sit in the box forever and not lay anything. So I'm not even sure they are hers, but the Minorca and the two RIR girls haven't even explored the nesting boxes yet, so she is the only one that I haven't gotten an egg from. Has anyone else experienced the flat egg mystery?

If anyone is interested I have 24+ quail eggs available. I can ship out tomorrow if needed. $5 picked up or $10 shipped. Let me know if youre interested.

Back
Top Bottom