INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Thanks for the info, Pipd. Sorry, I had to laugh at the poor bird above, she looks embarassed!
    I won't live in a neighborhood association like some people do. If I want to paint my mailbox purple, I can. There are a lot of things you can do in the city, just like there are a lot of things you can do when you don't live in a city. We don't have the biggest yard, just over a half acre. We also don't have nosey neighbors, and there is some open area (acres, so the hawks can feed there lol) on the lot to our east. We do like living so close to IMS. And speaking of permits I probably should've gotten one for the pagoda I'm buildling. Oh well, let the surveillance helicopters find me.
    Yeah, not good about trigger happy cops. Ours are usually drunk, tho.

2. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    So, my wife says a crumpet is a cracker/cookie or something like that. It's funny bc my daughter has been saying, all summer, with her best accent, that she wants a ''crumpet of tea''! ''do you have a crumpet? A crumpet of tea?'' she says, laughing. And my DW thinks it's funny that I had no idea what she was talking about.

Thanks for the laugh!

3. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Hi All, I was wondering if the run and coop are fully enclosed with hardware cloth and its buried two feet out, do we need to worry about closing up the chicken door each day or just let them be? What do you think?

4. CRSelvey

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    By the way, Thank you to Julie (mothertohens) for making my lovely new avatar!!! Peanut Butter has never looked better.

5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    If nothing can get in "The Fortress of Chickatude" complex, no need to close the door.

John

1 person likes this.
  6. CRSelvey

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Thank you John. Unless it has a shovel and some friends, I feel confident that it won't be getting in. We buried the wire and set a bunch of concrete blocks on top of the wire and then covered the wire. The concrete blocks are suspiciously shaped like bags of concrete that were left out in an unexpected rain.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  7. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    Oh, unenlightened one [​IMG] , stubs are tiny little pin feathers that can grow between the toes of a polish. They have to be removed with tweezers or it is an automatic disqualification. I saw them when cleaning him up and intended to wait until I was in better lighting to get them, then forgot. Lots of grooming that goes into showing polish!

On another note, I hope that your horse is moving along (and you as well!) in the grieving process. It's amazing how what people call dumb animals form relationships. Several years ago my beloved cat Groucho died of diabetes, and my cattle dog Panda, whom he teased mercilessly, was lost without him. I brought home a feral kitten from the humane society to foster and socialize for adoption. When Panda saw the carrier in the family room, she got excited and was looking behind the furniture, etc., thinking Groucho was back. Later that evening I had the kitten in a dog cage in the family room (she was too wild to let out). Panda inched over to the cage on her belly, the kitten came to her on the other side of the bars and put her paw through. Panda was whining and the kitten was patting the floor in front of her, as if they were telling each other their sorrows. As an update, the kitten will be 10 years old in October and wants nothing to do with anyone except Panda, who is now 13 and blind, and me.

While you and your horse will continue to miss your friend, as M2H and Adeline will miss Violet, and all others who have lost friends, companions, and family will miss them, we find a way to continue while still giving them a place in our hearts. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Pbirdhaven- well that explains why I'll never get Ito showing!!!! To much to learn and toooo much to do!!!

And thank you for the story. Things have calmed here a bit but I still catch him looking for her and calling occasionally. And I know how the animal bond is. Our 2 jack russels flip out when they are separated.

9. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Ci
    She is just under 6 months. She hatched in march. Unfortunately I don't have a ccl roo old enough yet. My original got picked off by some sort of predator. So waiting for my backup to become of age. It would produce an olive egger if it is fertile though.[/quote

Congrats on the egg. I've still got months to go. Looking forward to some blue in the egg baskets.

10. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Ci
    Thanks! I took johns advice anyways and put it in the incubator lol. I had other eggs going in so I figured why not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by