Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Too fast and Pip- I had to take a double take on the reflective pic too!! If the sky had been blue with no trees, she would've showed up more and THAT would've been a cool look!
  2. MrTattoohead

MrTattoohead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Bloomington, IN

Here's what she looks like today. She's been on medicated starter/grower til this week. It's a mix of showbird and s/g to extend it to layer feed next week. We've got vitamin/enzyme powder expedited for Saturday.

Here's a 1 minute video of how she's been behaving of late.

3. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    I just started raising chickens this spring. I have 6 older already laying hens, 1 Rooster and 6 younger hens just getting ready to start laying. I live in Solsberry, Indiana about 8 miles from Bloomington.
  4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Welcome, You should go to the Poultry show sept. 21 at bloomington
  5. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Where is it being held?
  6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    She looks like she is "perky" least not hunkering down in a corner somewhere. That's a good sign. :D

It still looks to me like the Thiamin and Riboflavin may help. Raw liver - chopped into tiny pieces so she can eat will help with this tremendously. Also adding the vitamins to the water that contain B1 and B2 (Thiamin and Riboflavin).

The medicated feeds often contain amprollium which contains a thiamin blocker. Lack of thiamin can cause problems which can begin to show as a difficulty walking (among other symptoms) so it's important to get that liver and/or the vitamins that contain these items.
    Source: This article on cocci in the Merks Veterinary manual has the side effects of various meds used in medicated feeds and cocci medications listed at the very end of the article.

This article lists symptoms of vitamin deficiency. See especially "Thiamin" and "Riboflavin".

You won't necessarily see it in all the birds as different individuals are able to assimilate vitamins and minerals differently.

(This is some of the info that I sent in PM...Posting here for the benefit of others reading.)
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    4 people like this.
  7. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Welcome gunchief! I recognize the name of your town since I have a daughter at IU. We're glad you joined us!

Since we've had some new members, I will post this info again:

Do you want to be listed on the BYC Indiana Members’ List?
    “Being a member of this thread” just means adding your screen name and flock info, which can be helpful because the list is a spreadsheet format that lets you sort the list by breed, county, or other category. It’s an easy way to find other members who have the same breed you have or who live in a nearby county, etc.

Click on the link below my signature to view the list. Just look at the bottom of the list page for sorting options.

If you’d like to be added, send me a PM (personal message) by simply placing your cursor over my screen name: Mother2Hens, and you will see “Send a PM.” A personal message ensures that your info is added. Please send your screen name, county, and city. Also include the following information about each member of your flock: List each species (chicken, duck, etc.), breed (Barred Rock, etc.), is it a LF (Large Fowl) or Bantam? bradselig actually adds the info, so you can PM him directly, too-- whatever is the easiest for you. if you have any questions about this thread, please PM Jchny2000 (Janet) who is the founder (thread starter) of this group. Others on our volunteer committee are helping to help~ Quinstar (Erin), vickichicki (Victoria), and CluckAcres (Curtis).

Indiana County Map for instant member location
    If anyone would like a map of your county, like the one on my avatar, I will be happy to provide one. If someone wants a combo map and a chicken or an animal for your avatar, I can put that together for you, just PM me. When I read posts, many times I think “Now where are they from?” I look at the city and still have no idea what part of the state they’re from. The map icon with the county in red because you could quickly glance and see where the member who is posting is from. These avatars are not required-- they are just a free service if you’re interested.

If members would like me to change the photo(s) on their avatars, just PM me. Someone might have a picture of a chick that has grown into a hen (or a roo!) and would like to update the photo or someone might like something totally different.

BYC Indiana Google Map for detailed information
    Cluck Acres
    (Curtis) set up a Google Map for just us INDIANA BYC’ers. You must first log on to your Google account or make a Google account. (If you have gmail, just use your gmail password). All you have to do is go to this link.... . Here are the directions. You will see the state of Indiana.. Zoom in to where you live and then click on the red button that says Edit. After you click Edit you will see a hand, blue pin point and a zig zag line on the map. Click the pin point and drag it to where you live on the map. After you have placed your pin point then click on it and you can edit your description by adding your county. If you want to change your blue pin point to another icon or upload your own then up on the right of that box click the pin point icon and choose others or upload your own icon. If anyone has problems with this feel free to ask.
  8. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013

Just FYI 32 is closed between US421 (Michigan road) and Lebanon :) not sure when it's supposed to reopen but I hope it's soon! It's a pain to get to my parents right now!!
  9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I have to agree that her actions, at least in this short video, doesn't point to a murderous virus or something of that sort (yes, I am a worry wort and I always go there first). She does look like she is lacking something nutrition wise either from parasites, or the medicated feed. 18 weeks is a long time to be on medicated. That could very well be the source of the problem. I usually only do medicated for a week or two after they are introduced to the chicken yard, so 0 to maybe 6-7 weeks. I'm sure Leah's mom sent you good info. She's definitely been a great help to me. :)
  10. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Wonder if 32 will be fixed before Oct. 19th. I don't know anything about the Lebanon area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by