INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Delawaremommy~ Hope you used coarse sand! Here's one of our favorite links:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html
    (we're working on adding more of the Resource links to the Indiana BYC page)
    There's also been a lot of pros and cons discussions of DE. The main concern is the same problem as Play Sand-- too fine, can cause respiratory problems. It's one of those issues to read up on and make your own choice (and maybe you already have-- I just wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware)

Originally Posted by kabhyper1 [​IMG]
    The fluff balls today. They can make any day better. lol

kabhyper~ How cute. They look like they are having so much fun!
    Pipd~ I am no chicken expert, but I have a degree in Fine Art. (not that it helps, because the people who decide on the calendar photos are chicken people!) Anyway, here's my perspective for what it's worth. I vote for Rangi because it's a stunning close-up and the soft background is wonderful. I also vote for Whiri for basically the same reasons. It would be nice if the branch coming out of the top of Whiri's head could be Photoshopped out. Not sure what the rules are. All of your photos are always excellent. The other three of the choices have backgrounds that compete with the chickens.

Originally Posted by pipdzipdnreadytogo [​IMG]
    Anyone want to help me decide which two pictures to enter for the BYC calendar? (I'm pretty sure the first one is going to be one of my entries. [​IMG] )

Rangi the Ancona:

[​IMG]

Margaret the Silkie:

[​IMG]

Roha the Exchequer Leghorn:

[​IMG]

Rose the Golden Sebright:

[​IMG]

Whiri the Light Brown Leghorn:

[​IMG]

Poggy the Speckled Sussex:

[​IMG]

Most of them look better when full-viewed. [​IMG]

2. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Thank you for your well thought out response, M2H! Yeah, it would seem most of my hens blend in with our current Autumn-esque atmosphere here in the woods. Lots of fallen leaves and red-to-brown-colored hens. :lol: I had a lot of pretty neat pictures that I rejected for mostly the same reasons--one of my favorites, my dear partridge Plymouth Rock named She Who Sleeps Standing Up, looked nice except her beak blended in completely with the background!

And then I had a couple really neat, but not exactly calendar-worthy shots, the first of Margaret and the second of Poggy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    MrTattoohead~ Before you fly Brad's and Old Salt's crop duster over your chicken, you might want to consult these photos to see if they look familiar. This is another link that we need to add to our Resource link page: poultry-lice-and-mites-identification
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
    Btw bradselig, you had asked to see new pics of my orps and I posted them and you did not comment. In fact, danad was the only one who commented and made me feel proud although I had nothing to do with how they look. Just because you had two hawks attacking your chickens doesn't mean you needed to be frazzled and overlook my crappy photos.
    julie0477~ Your mother hen and chicks photo instagrams look like vintage Easter cards. Very pretty. And btw, you realize you opened up a can of worms with your announcement about BABY CHICKS AT THE FARM STORES? I think the divorce rate of Indiana thread members will be increasing.

1 person likes this.
  4. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Im sorry! i had a surprise call from my uncle who lives in Florida yesterday. he has been in town visiting family and friends and wanted to stop over today to see my house, chickens, and catch up. So i spent all last night cleaning my house. then i spent the morning setting up a brooder for quail i took out of my hatcher, then went to work, and then my uncle stopped over. so now i am playing catch up.

anyways enough of the excuses, your girls are beautiful. so fluffy! are these the french orpingtons ;)

5. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Mother - I noticed the stunning pictures all be it camo style. I have been super busy with very little time to reply to everything I would like. When I read something I want to reply to I make a mental note... By the time I can get to replying it has long gone from my brain and I have very little in mind for replies.

How are you enjoying your cochin? I am most certainly in love with the breed. Such a sweet personality with a hint of curiosity... Not to mention the super soft feather that make me want to cuddle them all in bed. DH lets the dogs in for the night, I should be able to let the chicks in too darn it.
    When you are ready for more of them in spring let me know and I can hook you up :D

6. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Great picture. Maybe that should be number 2.

7. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Just letting you know it was appreciated :thumbsup

8. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

:lau

If only.... I would have more room for more chickens then

:woot

9. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    call all the TSC stores around you, but sounds more like cocci. PM me
    ETA fell asleep on this I guess [​IMG], I meant to say PM me if I can help, ugh! Sounds like she is feeling a little better.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  10. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    bradselig~ Oh, why thank you-- they look just like me. Round. And yes, Bonbon is now my French orp since I couldn't think of an English chocolate name. Adeline is English like her honourable Aunt vickichicki. Adeline and Victoria are colourful in different ways. [​IMG]

Originally Posted by vickichicki [​IMG]
    Mother - How are you enjoying your cochin? I am most certainly in love with the breed. Such a sweet personality with a hint of curiosity... Not to mention the super soft feather that make me want to cuddle them all in bed. DH lets the dogs in for the night, I should be able to let the chicks in too darn it.
    When you are ready for more of them in spring let me know and I can hook you up [​IMG]

vickichicki~If you are referring to the blue Cochin that I am planning to steal from Old Salt, I am still working on the master plan. You might be thinking of the promise of a blue English orp from Kiniska that I hornswoggled away from Old Salt--- Kiniska isn't hatching until spring. So in other words, I don't have any Cochin . . . yet. (Actually I have as many chickens as I have room for, but I can always dream). My orps are really soft, especially Bonbon. I know what you mean about wanting to cuddle with them in bed (like I do my cats), but then I guess we'd have to get chicken diapers and then we'd be even weirder if that's possible. [​IMG]
    jchny/Janet~ I just noticed you on online at it's going on 4:00am YOUR time zone. You need to get some sleep you poor thing!! I'm going to bed now since it's early here. (Luckily my DH lets the chickens out at 6:30am)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by