INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Sal - do you sell any of your chicks or do you hatch for yourself only? Are you using a 1588?

2. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

Thanks for this, I wasn't finding much when I was searching! Most people recommended similar scales, so I went ahead and got one. :D

And thanks for the opinions on my pictures! :) I think Rangi's in! For the second picture, right about half of the rest of the people I've asked have said Whiri and the rest have said Rose. :lol: It's so hard to pick just two!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Brad - makes sense. But they don't normally sell in the fall around here do they? I can't believe I never noticed. I was actually considering a fall hatchery order for that reason but that was before my chicks hatched. I hope I have at least one or two girls in there!

4. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My first lot were September chicks, everything was fine until it came to putting them outside. Felt really guilty. The ten of them stayed in my spare bathroom until they were around 4 month. It was nice to have eggs as soon as spring arrived, but the smell and mess in my house.... Hmmm.. Tough call for which I preferred.

5. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    I have a white silky roo that I was hoping for a girl( of course). He is from Peabirdhaven . She has first dibs but if anyone is interested let me know. He just started crowing.

6. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Old Salt - When my girls first started laying eggs I was so excited and after a discovery of a huge egg I started a 'fun' thread called 'How big is yours?'
    Nobody played along which made me sad, but I still grin about the egg.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have had an egg that did weigh 77g. It was bigger than the 'first' big egg too

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    the orschelns here just advertised "chick days" in their flyer! Right now is actually a great time to raise chicks for layers. They grow all winter and start laying in the spring.
    I got my chicks in September last year. They started laying in Feb I think. I was hoping for January but remember it taking at least 4 extra weeks over the hatchery's egg start age. I think I needed to get them more or brighter light once fall came.

8. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    i know the feeling! i just ordered 4 pairs of modern game bantams that are a couple week old!

haha the only thing im really excited about is the sale prices on supplies. im hoping rural king has their gallon waterers and 7# feeders for $5 again like they had this spring!

im not sure what color your interested in or if its just white, but i MAY have an extra pullet in the near future. i have some blue and spash chicks that i am not sure if i wwant to breed those colors. i think im just going to stick with partridge/ blue partridge and white silkies especially since i just added a new breed to the flock.

9. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

Hum I may have to check to see if the Martinsville rural king has some :) my DH was just commenting tonight we might need more chickens; I don't think babies is what he had in mind though ;)

10. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    im about ready to give up trying to hatch shipped legbar eggs! its getting very frustrating with these horrible hatch rates. i set 9 eggs, 6 made it to lock down, none have hatched! and were due to hatch yesterday. i had quail eggs in with them in lockdown. i get more than a 90% hatch rate with them (from my own flock) but never higher than 20% hatch rate with CCL. I have another batch of CCL eggs from a guy ive bought from 3 other times and had good hatch rates. lets hope his CCL do just as good as the other breeds ive gotten from him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by