INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Needless to say, it's been hot over the past few days for us here. Well, I have always had this shallow metal pan available for the hens to drink from at the water spout, and occasionally I've dunked their feet in it on the hottest days. I've never seen one of them actually willingly get her feet wet like this, though!

Miss Kate the barred Plymouth Rock, chilling in the water:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I found one of my younger not laying hens sitting in their water dish. She had actually broken the thing as it was just an empty ice cream gallon from blue bunny. I need to buy more ice cream now, but it is too hot to bring it home today.

1 person likes this.
  3. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I will have ccl, possibly blrw depending on this hatch, and maybe bantam barred lavender cochins Available next year. If you change your mind on the cochin being lf.

4. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I ordered my spring chicks from meyer to be delivered in march the previous November.

5. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

6. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

7. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    They have an 8x8 shed that will be their coop, plus a 50x50 area with grass and bugs, apple trees. If they go through that, I will rotate their pen out the other direction for another 50x50 of fresh grass. I can do that on 3 sides of the shed. I didn't take into account all the materials needed for raising meat chickens, I have lots to learn, and am willing. Thanks for the rough total breakdown. We paid $2.81 per chick including shipping 1.67 w/o shipping.

I plan on having them outside and in the coop and free ranging by 2 weeks. I really don't want them in the house long at all. In fact, they will probably go to the brooder box in the garage in the next 3 days. I really just want to make sure they are all up and doing well after there trip in the mail. Its 8x3, so they should be ok in there for a week or so.

Thanks for all the info, it is much appreciated!

Deb

8. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    It is hot out there today, I even brought the barn cat into the kitchen to cool off, he was panting. But then I kind of well forgot he was in the house. No big deal he went to sleep on a vent. Then of all things I decided to open up the Murry hatchery page. Well one of the links I clicked had a video that auto played tiny chicks chirping. The cat dashed from the vent to my computer speakers looking for those chicks. I have known for a while not not to trust him around any chicks smaller than a softball but still I was surprised.

9. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Well definitely put my name on a couple of CCL's and a BLRW if you end up with them. I can't wait until next spring!!!

10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    How do you put those things on anyway?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by