INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I read this on facebook as well. Monday we ordered our first meat chickens. We eat alot of chicken and beef. I get my beef from my neighbor each year and was looking for some where to get chickens. After looking and finding out how much local chickens sell for, we decided to try our hand at them. They arrived today all safe and sound. I'm not taking a chance that it is real. And know the FDA, they probably did approve this. I still need to do some checking into it, but I'm having a very busy week, so it will have to wait until next week. But in the mean time, I'm making my own. Better safe than sorry.

Deb

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    US chickens shipped to China, processed, and shipped back to US.

Now what could possibly go wrong with that? After all, the Chinese are so meticulous, honest in dealings with American-running-dog-capitalist-warmongers, that they would be extra cautious with our foods.

I won't even buy dog food if I see China anywhere on the label. I don't even want the BAG to be made in China. D*mned sure I don't want my food to come from there.

Let's see, 75 chickens shipped to China, 5,000,000 breasts, 20 million drumsticks, 40 million chicken wings processed and returned. My, my, aren't they efficient?

"We have confidence that the USDA will do that testing and do it in a good and adequate manner". Right, our government is so effective and efficient. They will test 1 chicken per boatload, if that. The boat captain will probably hand it to the inspector, lest (s)he get frostbite digging through a freezer.

John

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    4 people like this.
  4. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    [​IMG]

5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    no more fast fried chicken, since I just know that is where the China chicken will go first. After all who is going to ask their local grocery deli or KFC where they got their chicken. Odds are the people working the counter would not even know as it comes from a food provider on a truck.

6. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
  7. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Our local farm sells chicken at 24 for $250. I'm not sure if that's a good deal, but I am pretty sure I am not the person to process them. They are definitely free ranged and humanely treated, but I just wish for the price they were fed organic feed. Can meat chickens be raised for less than $10 each? Any thoughts are appreciated.

8. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    As much as I love Chinese food, I really don't want my food shipped there and back. I mean seriously, what could go right with that?

9. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    Someone else suggested the poultry shows--that's a good way to contact breeders. Even if they don't have any in the sale pens, they probably have roosters that they would be glad to see go.

10. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Will do thanks. Not ever having done them, I was going along like I did with the layers. I do have a light on for them, after watching them for a bit, they seem to be on the outside of the light, so up it went. They are being fed ff so hopefully, they will grow a little slower. I am planning on culling them at 10-12 weeks instead of 7-9 which is suggested. But I will go by how healthy they are. That is my goal anyway. Dates are subject to change of course lol.

Deb

edited for spelling :(

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by