INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Ok, so I am considering ordering mcmurray hatchery chicks for fall. Most likely the Oct 21 hatch. I am looking at BLRW which are only available straight run, and hamburgs, which you can order pullets. I don't think I want all 15 which is the minimum. Anybody in the brown county/columbus area interested in splitting the order if I do this? Also, I will be ordering vaccinated chicks.

2. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I had some better luck this morning. I went down to check on the broody hen that was pecking her first chick, and there was peeping coming from under her. She was just sitting there with that glassy contented broody look. So I decided to take a chance. I got yesterdays chick out of the emergency brooder, and slid her under momma. The chick immediately popped out from under her peeping and ran around in front of her. She immediately started chirping and cooing at it, then nudged it back under her. When she did so, I could see that the other chick was still in the egg and that was where the peeping was coming from.

So, it appears momma's issues may have been caused by being around all the other chickens when the chick hatched. Shame on me for putting her in that situation in the first place. It looks good that i'll have a second chick and a happy family by the time I get home from work today. If so, I'll get some pics if possible.

I'm really excited that I may now have a proven broody that I can use for future eggs! I have a second one sitting on a wooden egg, but she hasn't shown quite the dedication the first did. As soon as I call the birds and start throwing out scratch, she's off the nest and running around trying to get her share. If she gets her act together, I may throw a set of trial eggs under her (and get her separated from the flock much sooner!)

1 person likes this.
  3. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Thank you for the warm welcome. Hopefully I will learn something on here about raising chickens. I have already learned quite a bit from you all.

4. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I got two BLRW roos and a Golden Pencilled Hamburg pullet in a Rare Chicken assortment from MMCM this spring. All three ended up being some of the prettiest birds out of the group.

5. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    sounds like you need some more! Haha jk

Sense is telling me to wait til spring. Better selection then and I've already enough chicks this year. But you know how it goes..... :)

6. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    MRTATTOOHEAD:
    My sympathies for you on the loss of Sesame. I was very much holding out hope for a treatable illness. I'm very sorry your family had to make the tough call for Sesame.[​IMG]

In my research, I spoke with Purdue and the Indiana State Poultry Association (ISPA), and they indicated there's not a blood test for Marek's. I had thought for sure there would be.
    The guy at the ISPA laughed out loud at me when I asked about bloodwork for a chicken.
    My dog/cat vet called around to the research labs and came up with the same lack of wellness bloodwork for chickens.

The whole process of finding veterinary treatment for my sick pet chicken has left me disillusioned. Yes, they are $3, but to me, they're my pet. (Besides, this one cost $50, but it's just the principle of the thing)

We have an appt on tomorrow at the exotic animal vet in Indy. I'm preparing myself that the vet will have no answers, then theorize that it's Marek's, and recommend we put her down. $55 please.

I'm going to discuss an intramuscular Vit B shot with the vet as an option. It probably won't do a thing, and I'll be back a week later to put JLo down.
    I'm already saddened.

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    there is a breed section on here that has a thread for each of the many breeds. I would start there to learn what to look for and possibly find a great quality extra rooster that is ready to purchase. But shipping on a full size rooster is not cheap and a full size breeder quality rooster is not cheap either. it might be better to order eggs from a breeder and start with breeder quality hens and roosters to show. A breeder quality rooster would be a nice 4H show bird but his off spring if mated to RK hens most likely would not be much better than RK chickens.
    Another option is to visit some of the chicken shows and try to get a breeding trio. not cheap as they are full grown and have already been deemed free of anything that would put them in the culling list. There is a show in Bloomington on the 21st and a show in Lebanon on Oct 19th. More info can be found by searching "events" in this thread. There is a nice summary post.

8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
  9. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    You might want to contact Texas A&M for the blood test on mericks disease. I've included a link to "Not an Emergency...Mericks in the Flock". In this link is a link to Texas A&M test sight. Its shows the amount of blood needed for the test and the fee's associated with the test. From what I understand, not a lot of vets do the test, but some may draw the blood for you and send it out. For a fee of course.

Wishing you both the best for your birds.

Deb

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock/880#post_11962977

2 people like this.
  10. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I have a good one to tell you guys on the USPS.

I shipped eggs to 2 different people the same, day to the same town. Lady 1 pms to say she got her eggs, but PO asked if she knew this other person, who also got eggs from the same person (ME) They said eggs had been sitting there for a week. A lie as they were mailed the same day and both boxes arrived in 2 days.

Lady 2 did recently move, but has been getting mail there for over a month. So I pm lady 2 to tell her her eggs are sitting in the PO. They even left a package pickup notice in her mailbox. But when she went in the next day, they told her they had already shipped them back to me. because nobody by that name lived at that address, So who did they think they'd been delivering mail to ??? They couldn't even hold them for 24 hrs????

Well I just got the eggs back today. !! They supposedly shipped them back on the 29th. of aug..so it took just about 2 wks for them to get back to me??? Can we Say ROTTEN. !!! LOL !! I'm not even going to open it, They can just go straight on the burn pile.

so I shipped her another box, and this time we put call for pickup !!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by