INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Any reason why the broody hen pecks the chicks. I can understand the past is a good indicator of the future. What I'm more of asking is if the hen can smell the true laying hen and somehow know they aren't hers or something else that would make her hate the chicks she just spent over 2 weeks hatching.

I don't know if this could be a related thing or not, but with rabbits you sometimes have a doe that eats the kits she just gave birth to. It's my understanding that this usually indicates a protein deficiency. Some people give their doe a few slices of hotdog the day before she's expected to deliver to help prevent this. We've only had one doe eat her kits & by the time we discovered she was doing it, it was too late... Could this possibly be what might be going on with the hen -- she's needing the extra protein? It's kind of hard to imagine as humans that a new mom would do this, but in the animal world they're just responding sometimes to the needs of their bodies...

The other girls seem hale and healthy. When we let them out to forage they tear after each other and flap around. They get about four feet in the air and can go about 12 feet across the yard (not at four feet mind, more like a foot).

Sesame weighed less than 2 pounds (747 grams) today at ~19 weeks of age. The other girls have at least a pound on this and more on Kung Pao (our Jersey Giant).

We've never planned on showing or breeding. We just want a few eggs and a fun past time. So we don't go to swaps/meets/shows. I know of only two other flocks here in Bloomington, and we'll follow proper protocol if we do visit them.

Supposedly she was vaccinated by the company Orschlens purchases from, it may well have been something else but the vet said she wasn't digesting well when looking at her poop. She had stopped trying to stand and was getting around by wings and beak. Maybe we were wrong but she didn't seem well. We tried to make the best call. Through this we've found out a social media friend in the area is an old hand with chickens. She says if we see anything out of the ordinary we're to call her for assistance. So there a little bit of silver lining.

I just wanted to add that the mericks vaccine doesn't prevent them from getting md. It only prevents them from getting tumors. Meaning, if the tumors are not there they can still live with normal body function. The tumors on the organs cause lots of problems, and can prevent said organ from working. But the chicken will be a carrier of md for life. Also, the vaccine only works I've read from 80-90% of the time. It's not fool proof. There are a couple of vaccines out there right now. Most hatcherys and all private breeders use the turkey virus. It's the only one available to the public. A couple of the hatcheries use a new triple vaccine. I'm not positive what that one covers as I can't get it, I really didn't study it. I believe it's McMurtry hatchery that uses all 3.

It's good that you found someone with chicken experience that lives close and is willing to help you out. I would love to have someone who is knowledgable and willing to help! There is life after md, and you can still have chickens. We just do things a little different, a few extra steps to our day. But please, if you do go to your friends place, please change clothes, don't wear anything that you wore in with your chickens. You can and will take this disease with you. Also, change your clothes and shoes again before going back into your chickens. Use bio security, it's your new best friend. Not only will it help with you taking it with you and giving it to others, but it can help prevent you from bringing something home to your chickens and making matters worse.

You did the best for your girl, and I'm sure you will do the best for the rest of the flock. If there is anything I can help you with, please just ask. I don't have a lot of experience as these are my first chickens as well, but I can try.

Deb

Well my broody did really well. On day 21 6 of the 9 eggs hatched. Mamma is doing a fantastic job with those babies crawling all over her and still sitting on the other eggs. The other 3 do not have any cracks in them yet, so I will give them another day or 2. I only candled them on day 10 and all showed signs of progressing, so it's still a waiting game. Here's my new babies.

Anyone here from Granger? We are looking at a home there, no HOA for this house, so other than that wondering if I could have some chickens there? The home has about 1 acre and not in one of the subdivisions in Granger.
You should be able to do a Google for city/county government offices. Find a likely office and call them on the phone.

John

You know whats ironic? The only adult chicken I have laying right now is the one that I gave antibiotics to for the foot, and I have to pitch her eggs for 21 days. I'm only 7 days in. The others are in molt, strike, or whatever. lol Figures.

2 of the five pullets I bought from Rural King this year are laying. One in the coop and one behind a board I have laying against the back of the house. I watched the day she picked that spot. She was pacing in front of the coop but the door had blown shut. I saw this when I pulled in from work. So I ran over and opened it up, but by then she started looking for a spot elsewhere. My pullets are over 21 weeks now. I wonder how many of the others have picked spots I haven't found yet? I have an EE, a SLW, and a light brahma not in action. I figure the brahma is still too young, but I bet at least one of the other two are laying some where!!! Rascals!

I have an owl that keeps coming to visit my chicken area tonight. it is walking around our "hoop" / cube coop. There is either netting, tarp, or netting and chicken wire over the entire thing. I'm thinking owls don't dig so it can't get in unless it can get by the poultry netting. Still he is freaking out my chickens and they are squawking causing me to check on them and send DH out to chase away the owl. I would go but I read that the GH owl has attacked humans before so here I sit, typing asking for advice. We tried lighting up the back yard with flood lights and I turned on a light in the coop, still the owl came back after less than an hour. I was thinking since owls are night hunters the light would keep it away. But maybe the light is making it easier for the owl. It is easier for me to check on the birds if the light is on.

We just moved our small pens and large coop tonight so the owl could care less about routine placement.
We also have those blinking red lights, the owl could care less.

I would try stringing up some rope/fishing line/string to try to break up some of its flight lanes. You can even hang bits of paper or other stuff on it to flutter and let the owl know it is there. If he can't find a good way to fly up to the coop or into the area, he may go look elsewhere. I'm sure it would be a big pain to do this, but I don't think you would need to make it permanent unless you wanted to, and I can't think of any other suggestions at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom