INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    I don't know if this could be a related thing or not, but with rabbits you sometimes have a doe that eats the kits she just gave birth to. It's my understanding that this usually indicates a protein deficiency. Some people give their doe a few slices of hotdog the day before she's expected to deliver to help prevent this. We've only had one doe eat her kits & by the time we discovered she was doing it, it was too late... Could this possibly be what might be going on with the hen -- she's needing the extra protein? It's kind of hard to imagine as humans that a new mom would do this, but in the animal world they're just responding sometimes to the needs of their bodies...

2. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

I just wanted to add that the mericks vaccine doesn't prevent them from getting md. It only prevents them from getting tumors. Meaning, if the tumors are not there they can still live with normal body function. The tumors on the organs cause lots of problems, and can prevent said organ from working. But the chicken will be a carrier of md for life. Also, the vaccine only works I've read from 80-90% of the time. It's not fool proof. There are a couple of vaccines out there right now. Most hatcherys and all private breeders use the turkey virus. It's the only one available to the public. A couple of the hatcheries use a new triple vaccine. I'm not positive what that one covers as I can't get it, I really didn't study it. I believe it's McMurtry hatchery that uses all 3.

It's good that you found someone with chicken experience that lives close and is willing to help you out. I would love to have someone who is knowledgable and willing to help! There is life after md, and you can still have chickens. We just do things a little different, a few extra steps to our day. But please, if you do go to your friends place, please change clothes, don't wear anything that you wore in with your chickens. You can and will take this disease with you. Also, change your clothes and shoes again before going back into your chickens. Use bio security, it's your new best friend. Not only will it help with you taking it with you and giving it to others, but it can help prevent you from bringing something home to your chickens and making matters worse.

You did the best for your girl, and I'm sure you will do the best for the rest of the flock. If there is anything I can help you with, please just ask. I don't have a lot of experience as these are my first chickens as well, but I can try.

Deb

2 people like this.
  3. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Well my broody did really well. On day 21 6 of the 9 eggs hatched. Mamma is doing a fantastic job with those babies crawling all over her and still sitting on the other eggs. The other 3 do not have any cracks in them yet, so I will give them another day or 2. I only candled them on day 10 and all showed signs of progressing, so it's still a waiting game. Here's my new babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Be still my heart! I just want to squeeze them!

5. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Bacon seeds... [​IMG]

6. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    You should be able to do a Google for city/county government offices. Find a likely office and call them on the phone.

John

7. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    You will get to admire the owl all winter long. With any luck, you may get to enjoy visits from a mate and offspring.

John

8. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    You know whats ironic? The only adult chicken I have laying right now is the one that I gave antibiotics to for the foot, and I have to pitch her eggs for 21 days. I'm only 7 days in. The others are in molt, strike, or whatever. lol Figures.

2 of the five pullets I bought from Rural King this year are laying. One in the coop and one behind a board I have laying against the back of the house. I watched the day she picked that spot. She was pacing in front of the coop but the door had blown shut. I saw this when I pulled in from work. So I ran over and opened it up, but by then she started looking for a spot elsewhere. My pullets are over 21 weeks now. I wonder how many of the others have picked spots I haven't found yet? I have an EE, a SLW, and a light brahma not in action. I figure the brahma is still too young, but I bet at least one of the other two are laying some where!!! Rascals!

9. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    [​IMG] Love me some bacon!

10. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I would try stringing up some rope/fishing line/string to try to break up some of its flight lanes. You can even hang bits of paper or other stuff on it to flutter and let the owl know it is there. If he can't find a good way to fly up to the coop or into the area, he may go look elsewhere. I'm sure it would be a big pain to do this, but I don't think you would need to make it permanent unless you wanted to, and I can't think of any other suggestions at the moment.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by