INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Speaking of vets.... I called the hillview Vet in Franklin today. If my lil quarantined guy shows no improvement I'm going to have him checked out next week. If he passes before then I will definitely have a necropsy done to see what the heck is going on. With this heat I wonder about mold as well. That can cause similar issues I guess as can vitamin deficiencies but they are all on commercial feed. I just cant figure out how a chicken can be running with no signs of anything one day and then completely immobile the next with no sign of injury?? It's not like it slowly progressed. So weird.

2. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    I finally get to join the club! Found this last night while tucking in the chicks. It was right outside the nesting boxes, so I'm hoping the next few actually make it inside. It's so tiny and I absolutely love it! I think it was either Wanda (BR) or Lavon (BA), but I can't be certain. They seem to be the most mature looking of the group. Hopefully I find another little surprise today!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    C
    Congratulations!

4. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

Thank you, I would love to see it done before we butcher the job, lol and the chicken. I wanted to go to the meet up this summer, but it was just to far of a drive for us.

These meat chickens will be the first roosters for us, but I do remember them from Busha and Jaja's house. It seemed like they only got us once each time. Busha didn't take any rooster coming after us. I think I'll pass on the rir lol those where at Bushas!

Deb

Edited because I can't seem to spell my name today! Gonna be one of those days I'm thinking

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  5. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Too bad we're not closer--if you lived near Indy, I'd let my broody Cream Legbar hatch them for you. I can't seem to convince her she doesn't need to be broody right now...

6. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww. Thanks. There are 5 eggs today. I think I will wait a week or so and see how many she lays. If she lays a clutch and stops, and doesn't sit, I'll take Bradselig up on the incubator. I really want them to hatch their own, but they never do what you want them too.

7. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

I feel for you. We took a wall down from the old shed which is next to their coop. That very next morning my ee didn't come out of the coup. She was just sitting there waiting for me. It took several weeks before she would walk again. I gave her super vitamin b complex from Walmart their brand. I crush one tablet into their 1 gallon waterer each day. I want to say it was almost a month before I saw real progress. they still get the vit b. i did build a 4x4 box covered with hardware cloth so I could keep her with the flock. Of course that was after a 2 week separation to make sure no one else came down sick, or her worse. I really don't know what it is, but my other birds have not been affected at all. She does well today. She has a normal chicken life, just a little wobbly on her feet if she doesn't get her vit b.

If it is merick, as you suspect. What happens is tumors grow inside the body. Normally on or around the sparatic (sp) nerve. Once it hits that nerve, paralysis happens. Is he putting one foot forward and one back? That is the classic md pose. Now if the tumors are close to the spine, some leg paralysis and possible wing paralysis can happen. It can even claim his neck.

How is his eating? My ee didn't want to eat and lost a lot of weight. I had her inside in a dog crate and low and behold she laid an egg. Well it resembled an egg, sorta. So then I started her on layer feed, seemed she got better after that. Slow but sure.

I really don't want to take her to the vet, she's my chicken who is my pet but not a pet. Lol. Actually she will probably be culled and sent out for necropsy. She's not suffering, she walks, eats, flys and poops. She uses her beak to scratch not her feet. That is about the only thing different that I can tell.

Hopefully your vet will be knowledgable in chickens and can help. In the meantime, please practice bio security. For you flocks safety and others flocks. If it is md, it is highly contagious.

Also I posted several links a few pages back, on the iPad ATM can't copy them again, please go read them. The more information we have the better armed we are, and can be better prepared. There are some very knowledgable people on those threads, they will be able to help more than I can. In fact they blow me away with their knowledge base.

Hoping all goes well for you and your rooster.

Deb

8. pginsber

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    How's the lil silkie boy doing? Fingers crossed that the heat will ease, and a little Polyvisol w/o iron will fix him right up!

We're preparing to take JLo to the vet this evening. We discussed it last night, and if it comes to euthanasia, it seems JLo's destiny is not to be necropsied, rather to come to a place of rest in the Shade Garden with the other pets.
    Of course, it could be that when I go home tonight, she'll be standing in the chicken run, pecking the dirt with the others. (Can't blame me for being optomistic, right)?
    You had expressed earlier that perhaps the breeder we purchased JLo from was having Marek's issues. She was purchased from Jordan Farms. So far, the other 3 don't show any symptoms.

Should I tell the guy @ Jordan Farms about JLo? His farm is supposedly NPIP etc.

9. pginsber

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Who was it that talked about the rabbit getting kicked out of her bed? Anyway, CURSE YOU! You gave me back the rabbit bug. I first got the "Chicken co-habitating with Rabbit" bug when I started avidly watching Hencam.com before I had my own chickens. I decided then that I, too would have a rabbit, and would squeeze and love her.

A guy from work is bringing by a rabbit this weekend. He doesn't want to raise her and she's too small to butcher, so alas, we're adopting her.

Any tips for chicken & rabbit co-habitation? Can the rabbit eat the layer crumble? We have water nipples, but surely, the rabbit can figure those out.

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Some people are like the American government. Take a good idea (being excited about your child's birth) and carry it beyond any semblance of reason.

Please don't tell these goofs that some young animals eat their mother's excrement to populate their intestines with the bacteria of the mother.[​IMG]

John

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by