INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    All seems to be going well. When I got home, she was still doing the glassy eyed broody thing, and I got a glimpse of a brown head sticking out of the feathers momentarily. That means the other egg hatched, since the first chick was yellow. I also heard peeping from the other side of her, so I'm assuming both chicks are alive and well for the moment. Very happy about this.

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

3. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    My all of the sudden immobile silkie ate well last night. Today he tries to stand but has to balance on one wing and then falls over. Not sure what to do. It's early yet but it's the classic breed, age, and signs of mareks. But I know it's also signs of other things and it may turn out to be ok. I suppose I'll just take care of this little guy and watch the rest of the flock for signs. I'm mostly concerned about the sebrights and other silkies. And the babies of course. I'm tempted to try the st johns wort. Couldn't hurt I suppose.

4. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN

Average
    Weight, lb.​

Feed/
    Week, lb.​

Consumption
    to Date, lb.​

Feed/
    Gain​

1​
    0.34​
    0.30​
    0.30​
    2​
    0.85​
    0.62​
    0.92​
    3​
    1.54​
    1.02​
    1.94​
    4​
    2.38​
    1.44​
    3.38​
    5​
    3.34​
    1.90​
    5.28​
    6​
    4.37​
    2.32​
    7.60​
    7​
    5.40​
    2.73​
    10.33​
    8​
    6.42​
    3.10​
    13.43​
    2.09​

According to this chart on meyer hatchery website. Each bird will consume 13.43 lbs of feed by week 8. A 50lb bag of feed costs me $13.85 I have 16 birds. So 13.43 x 16 = 214.88 lbs by the 8th week. So that is 4.25 50 lb bags. 13.85 x 4.25 = 58.87 and 58.87 / 16= 3.67 of feed per bird. Now I was told processing here can run $2 - $2.50 per bird. Add it all up and I'm looking at $6 and change for each bird. My food is not organic. But they will have plenty of foraging. Which will also cut down on feed cost.​

Thank you both. This is really good information. If I could just manage the processing part, I think it would be worth it. Even on organic feed, it would still be reasonable.

5. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    CR have you watched any processing videos on you tube? There is this one on you tube.
    After watching it a few to several times, processing is not so bad. Still I tend to avoid thinking to much or too hard on the subject right before processing day.

6. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Thanks for this video, I will be watching it a lot over the next 2 months. We are going to try and do our own. DH has never done chickens, but he has done ducks. So hopefully he will do good. I'm going to try, but I don't think I will be doing the killing. The rest I should be good with. I'm hoping!

Deb

7. CRSelvey

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Yesterday after posting the request for meat bird info, I headed to schools to pick up my kids. Once I had all three of them in the car, we stopped for gas at Kroger. I turned around and found this little guy under my car covered in burrs and oil. He was a stinky mess.
    [​IMG]
    So, considering it was 4:30 and the busiest time of the day at our store (and all three of my kids were looking at me), I threw him in the back of my DH's truck (that has never seen a pet) and to the vet we went. He is not microchipped, but he is neutered and doesn't have fleas. I thought I might get in trouble when I got home, but oh well. I gave him a bath and he's actually really cute and very well mannered. My husband surprised me and said he knows we will be keeping him if I cannot find his people. This morning my DH told me he thinks the dogs name is Max. Really???? I did not see that coming. [​IMG] I let Max out to go to the bathroom and he leaves with a purpose...only to return safely five minutes later. Good dog.

[​IMG]

So today I will be taking him to the local groomers and vets to see if anyone recognizes him and posting some pics around town. I will be both happy and sad to find his family.

3 people like this.
  8. CRSelvey

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Good luck! I think I would do well with the rest too. I just need someone to put them down first.

Sally- I tried to get to that part of the poultry fest but my life got in the way that day. I really do want to figure it out but I am just really soft and I think it takes someone being matter of fact about the chickens instead of all "isn't it so cute?" I'm trying to make myself think about the quality of meat I am buying at the store to fix my attitude. I will watch the video. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  9. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

From the veterinary side of things I think most vets would like to be able to do a lot more for their patients too. People don't think about the expenses of running a business though; you'd be amazed how many people expect you to take care of their animals even though they can't pay! I wish there was a better answer too!

It can be as easy as swallowing a pill :) Not that I've done it, but I do have a couple of friends that have had their placentas encapsulated.

Let me know if you ever have some you want to do I'd be happy to help. I'm only about 45 mins from you. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by