INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    That really isn't the same as a hot dog, but I see what you are saying.
    Still, giving a rabbit meat is a bad idea. After birth is eaten by almost all mothers. The proteins in it are not the same as muscle meat. There are a lot of things people do that are not good for the animals they keep. Often it is due to misunderstanding a situation and thinking something fixed it that didn't, or they were taught wrong. Since none of the animals died from the "fix" they assume it worked and is a good thing.
    For example, when the first gorillas were placed in captivity the scientists keeping them wrongly thought they were predominantly carnivorous. As a result they fed the apes nothing but meat. The gorillas ate it and lived but it was not healthy for them. It shortened their lives. The scientists did not realize this for quite a while as they were unaware of a gorilla's proper life span. I would bet the person breeding those show rabbits doesn't keep them for 7-12 years.
    Anyway, just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be. Just because someone breeds show rabbits doesn't mean they understand a rabbit's digestive tract.

It is often amazing how little some people who work with farm animals actually know about their biology. A lot of stuff is superstition and they don't even know it. My father in law, who has farmed all his life, was convinced you have to have a rooster to get eggs. He is a smart man, a good farmer, but it is hard for him to let go of what he thinks he knows. Perhaps we are all like that to some degree.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    These are excerpts from a New York Times story 8-30-13

Excerpts from: Chinese Chicken Processors Are Cleared to Ship to U.S.

Also watch out for Pet Food!
    Recently, an ​
    F.D.A. investigation
    tied the deaths of more than 500 dogs and a handful of cats to chicken jerky treats that came from China. The treats, which were eventually recalled, additionally were blamed for sickening more than 2,500 animals.​

Another Bush Fiasco​

The poultry trade between the United States and China has been contentious for years. Under the Bush administration, the U.S.D.A. moved to allow imports of chicken from China, which has banned imports of American beef since 2003 over worries about mad cow disease.
    In response, Congress blocked Chinese chicken exports. China retaliated by slapping huge tariffs on American chicken. The fight ended up at the World Trade Organization, which ruled that the tariffs were too high.
    After that, the U.S.D.A. then audited Chinese processing plants, giving its approval for them to process raw birds from the United States and Canada. Under the new rules, the Chinese facilities will verify that cooked products exported to the United States came from American or Canadian birds. So no U.S.D.A. inspector will be present in the plants.
    No country-of-origin labels required!! ​
    And because the poultry will be processed, it will not require country-of-origin labeling. Nor will consumers eating chicken noodle soup from a can or chicken nuggets in a fast-food restaurant know if the chicken came from Chinese processing plants.​

3. Kiniska

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Lol! That happens sometimes. They can be hard to sex when young. :)
    There was more than likely something wrong with the kits. Rabbits will kill the kits if there are rats in their building, a snake, or if they are stressed. Lots of reasons why they might cannibalize.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  4. Kiniska

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Wow, that is just scary.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    She did not completley eat them. I can eliminate rats and snakes for sure. But no clue about the rest. She was a good mom

6. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana

Extremely easy! They are just small plastic spirals, to its just like attaching a dog tag to a collar, but they are far mor flexible. I held the birds and my DH just slid them right on.

I'm sure if you are buying large quantities you could find them cheaper. I only needed a few so I didn't really hunt for a huge bargain. I looked at the rubber band ones, but thought they'd be to annoying to get on.

7. Kiniska

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Sorry, auto correct strikes again. I meant to say there was more than likely something "wrong" with the kits. Some how it came out "not wrong" (insert eye roll here.)

8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

9. Kiniska

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    I am all for natural, but.... yuck. That is pretty far past my comfort zone.
    Congrats on the puppies. Post pics!

10. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Sally~ I'm coming to bradselig's defense, which is a bad habit . . . He posted the info and link about the upcoming dog house sale a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted by SallyinIndiana [​IMG]
    I have been looking at these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neon-Elasti...ee-Shipping-/141059146574?hash=item20d7c7c34e
    The spiral ones look like they stretch out in the same manner as the number bands. Kind of like those slap bracelets. The ones I'm looking at look like a rubberband or ponytail holder. I'm thinking they might be a touch bit harder to get on as I would need to point all the toes into the hole and raise the band up over to get past the foot. But they are a lot cheaper. I'm trying to find an easy way to mark the birds by year for the layer flock.

We used small colored zip ties when we had chicks. They can be changed as the leg grows. They aren't as stylish as yours and Quinstar's e-bay examples, though.
    racin chickin~ Glad to hear your hen is having a better day. Let us know if you returned from work to find her still enjoying motherhood.

julie~ Hope things are better tomorrow.

Crafty~ What cute baby chicks. I love the EE's stripes

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by