INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    lol, easier to ask for forgiveness than permission?

if you are interested in the second ones i posted, let me know. ill try to get them for a good price. i may keep one, but the other would likely be available. we can work out how to get it to you.

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Lol! hopefully he takes it well.Yoou have to love puppies! They are already eating dog food! at four weeks old! They were getting in their moms food bowl

3. HouseKat

HouseKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    1 person likes this.
  4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Thanks guys. I just have a really bad feeling. I brought three chicks home from a friends house this year. One vaccinated and two not but they were hatched there. I found out a couple of weeks ago one of my friends young hens has been limping for over two months with no other symptoms. It's been vaccinated as all of her birds accept the few hatched there. That didnt sound good to me. Most injuries would have healed in thst time. So my worry is if she's had mareks there for awhile she probably wouldn't know it because of the vaccinations. I've been worrying about that trying to reassure myself that im just paranoid and then this happens today :/

5. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I have had Lowes see if an item is in stock in a store within a couple hundred mile radius. If they find them, they have brought them into the store for me from afar... Might be worth a try?

1 person likes this.
  6. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Needing advice. I have 4 bearded silkie eggs that my girls have layed and no broodies. I thought there were only 2 and then I found 2 more buried under the hay in the nesting box. They don't seem to be paying much attention to them. Any thoughts? Should I just wait it out longer and see if they lay a full clutch? I don't have an incubator.[​IMG] I have never experienced this before. Newbie.

7. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    yes we can see if other stores have them. most stores are willing to bring them to the store, however, by policy if it is a clearance item, they are not allowed to. this doesnt mean they wont though and definitely worth a try. never hurt to ask!

1 person likes this.
  8. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    i cant really offer advice regarding broodies as ive never hatched that way. but i can offer my incubator space if you decide you want to try to hatch them. i cant guarantee they will hatch, but i wont charge you either. my batore is pretty full, but think i can fit the 4 eggs especially on friday as others go into hatching bator. send me a pm if interested and we can work something out.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    most likely The hens arent just going to see the eggs and decide to go broody. I am pretty sure it dosent work like that. You have to wait for them to go broody and then give eggs not give eggs and wait for them to go broody.

1 person likes this.
  10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Broody Basics:

The hen decides when she wants to go broody.
    Until that time, eat the eggs.

When she does go broody, test her a few days to see if she is determined to set before putting eggs under her for hatching. When I have one that I think is going broody, I'll pick her up and take her way out in the yard and deposit her on the ground. If she returns to the nest, I do it a couple more times over the next day or so. If she looks like she's going to stick with it, THEN I give her eggs.

Hope that helps :D
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by