INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

Thank you, I will check them out.

2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Hogster- which rural king did you purchase your chick that got sick? Mine came from Columbus and they used townline hatchery. The virus most definitely could've come from somewhere else, I'm just curious. Did you have anymore get sick?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  3. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN

Is it something that can be connected to the flight patterns of wild birds or possibly some food you might all be using? It would be interesting to see if there is a commonality other than this website.

My neighbor told me about something called the waspinators and it looks like a wasp nest. It was about $8 on amazon and I got two to see if it helped here. I have noticed the wasps and carpenter bees are gone. It could be coincidental but it seems to help.

4. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    They worked it out several years ago.

John

5. hogster160

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

I so wanted to go to that but 3 hours min one way. Hopefully we can get something together for us northerners lol, good to know an approximate time frame as well, although I'm expecting it to take me at least twice as long.

My hubby will be doing the killing, he seems confident that it will be no problem. Grant it when he killed the ducks, he had been out hunting. So he is watching several videos on the different ways to do the deed. He doesn't want any unnecessary suffering for them either.

I know I wasn't there, but thanks for caring enough to teach those who did go. Not everyone is willing to teach, so thanks!

Deb

6. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    CRSelvey - the symptoms are similar to moldy food intake as well. I usually use nutrena all flock since I have all ages and ducks running around. I don't think it's the wild birds since I've had chickens here for about four years but who knows. Lots of people handle rural king chicks. I had some die of I believe cocci before they were two weeks old. They hadn't even left my brooder. First time I'd had that happen. Ive just had a rough chicken year.

7. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    For wasps and bees, mix a half-cup of sugar with a quart of hot water. Pour it into the bottom of a gallon glass jug. Set it where the bees are most likely to find it. They go in, but can't get out.

For chipmunks, put 4 inches of water in a 5-gallon bucket. The bucket should be slick on the inside. Place a board ramp up to the lip of the bucket. Put a few sunflower seeds on the board. Sprinkle enough seeds on the surface of the water to make it seem solid. They jump in, but can't get out.

For foxes and weasels, use a live trap. Put bait on the ground. Set live trap over the bait so that it is under the trip pan. Cover trap with hay, straw, grass clippings, whatever. If you catch your neighbor's cat, let him out. He won't come back. If you catch a chicken-killer, get rid of it. I use a .22 rifle.

John

2 people like this.
  8. hogster160

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

The ee that got sick came from Meyers hatchery. No other birds have been affected like her. I had 2 BA that had ocular change, both Meyer hatchery. I did get my small girls from Niles mi rural king. Those birds came from Michigan I believe. And those 6 are just fine.

None of the chickens were given vaccines.

Deb

ETA I also use Nutrena all flock, I use it with my ff. they were on Nutrena layer then I got the turkeys and went to the all flock

9. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I'm glad to hear the others are doing well.

10. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Marek's vaccination or not.

I ordered 25 chicks and 15 ducks from efowl.com in March. The chicks were vaccinated for Marek's.

While I was waiting for them, I bought 12 Buff Orpingtons from TSC.

I got 4 guinea chicks from Rural King.

I got 3 adult roosters from Shawna in Thorntown.

I got an adult JBG roo from somebody in Whitestown.

I have had one mysterious death. A guinea was dead in the morning a few weeks back. No sign of trauma. I double bagged it and dumped it in the trash.

If vaccinated chicks can give other chickens Marek's, then I have, indeed, been fortunate.

Knock on wood, I think it's a myth.

John

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by