INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    For those of you wanting to do processing. I had an email from Strombergs, they have a sale on processing equipment.

2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    no I don't think vaccinated chicks can give unvaccinated chicks the disease strictly based on the vaccination. But I think vaccinated chicks that have also been exposed to the disease but do not have symptoms because of the vaccine can expose another chicken. I don't think that could happen with day old vaccinated chicks from
    A hatchery. But I think it could happen with say a vaccinated pullet from another farm.

3. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    In theory anyway based on what I read. I think it makes sense????

4. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Homemade chicken plucker. Plucked in 14 seconds. Costs about 20-30 bucks.

John

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

John, it is my understanding that the vaccine is to prevent the growth of tumors, it also reduces the amount of md infected dander from shedding in the skin cell, feathers etc. the thing with the vaccine is you will not know you have md. No signs. Or you may lose half of you flock. But you would still have an infected flock. All who live will be carriers for life shedding it in their dander for the air to blow to the next farm. I'm still learning about it, but it is said the md virus can live for like 10 months with no host. And can be carried for 5 miles in the wind. Md doesn't play by any rule book I've ever seen! you can get all your chickens vaccinated and still go full blown md. kind of makes me think we have been fortunate.

Deb

6. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I am wondering about all of these Marek's scares here lately. I'm wondering mainly if whoever posted about the heat and humidity is right in saying that it is perhaps not Marek's, but mold that is causing this. (Was that even on this thread? Anyway, the point still stands.)

I found it helpful to see videos when I had a Marek's scare not too long ago. There is a VAST difference between what I had seen and what Marek's does. I don't want to embed the videos here, but here are the links to them:

The typical 'one leg forward, one leg back' position:

Paralysis in a bird with Marek's (notice how the bird is standing, just not using one leg) :

The first half of this video has birds with paralysis typical of Marek's. Notice how they have absolutely no control of one or both legs (the second half of the video shows you how to vaccinate in a hatchery setting, dunno if that's of any interest to y'all):

I was able to rule out Marek's disease not only from these videos but from reading many, many descriptions of the disease. My bird was weak in the legs and would not stand--but she was fully able to walk all the bedding out from under her when she was in a sling and still had the ability to curl and uncurl her toes.

I never found out what she had. I made the mistake of not having a necropsy performed on her. I was heartbroken at the time, though, and wasn't thinking clearly. If I had it to do over, I would definitely do the necropsy--as others have said, better to know for sure what the cause was. I strongly suspect that she got into something she shouldn't have, though, as that bird was always into things. :rolleyes:

If you're wondering about my bird, this post summarizes all of her symptoms and what I would do differently if I found another bird in the same condition: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...out-dizzy-cant-walk-wont-eat/50#post_10080551

7. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Well now you really have me wondering if it could be mold. Ugh I wish the vet could just live test him. My boy is more like what you describe. He has the use of both legs but they are too weak to stand and balance. I just don't know :/ it was 100 degrees pretty much all week. And they do all free range he could've gotten in to anything. The feed is kept in my basement though which is very dry but I am sure moldy food has been distributed. Heck chobani just recalled their yogurt for mold.

8. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Is it possible he overheated? I had a hen (a different one) that got too hot last summer and was weak in the legs. I cooled her off by soaking her feet in cold water and she eventually was fine.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  9. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Don't know. Maybe but he's been in the ac all day today and not much improvement. Time will tell I suppose. If things don't turn around I will have the necropsy done to find out what happened. I was so worried about the other younger ones in my flock I didn't sleep at all last night.

10. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    All of you that keep mentioning the cream legbars and their blue eggs finally got to me. I won / bought some of these blue eggs for hatching on Ebay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by