INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Okay at the request of M2H, here is Gus. And I couldn't leave out the big guy, or his lady, so the cochins are in here too.
wink.png
Plus some of the other photobombers.

Both boys. Living in harmony. It took a little bit, but it is not impossible to introduce another rooster into a flock. They work together. On a side note, Gus' juvenile antics have subsided considerably. He no longer "war dances" at us, and he is getting better about strangers coming into the pasture. He is now a reformed boy, who protects his flock like a pro.

The egg color will not change, it will lay one color its whole life. And if it is actually a white rock it will lay a brown egg, not white unless it is a mutt

Thanks. I guess the Rocks could be mutts. I really don't know what they are for sure. I thought they were Leghorns when I bought them as chicks. Also, I guess one of the Red Sexlinks could be laying it? They are mutts, right?

I'm crossing my fingers for a different shade from the other EE.

Hey hatchers!

What thermometer & hygrometer are you guys using?

I don't want to have to buy several to get one good one.

John
I use a combination of many. Ive found the one that came with the LG to be pretty accurate. I then use several I got from work that have remote sensors. I also use ones I had for the reptiles. Ill post links when I get home from.

Okay at the request of M2H, here is Gus. And I couldn't leave out the big guy, or his lady, so the cochins are in here too. ;) Plus some of the other photobombers. Both boys. Living in harmony. It took a little bit, but it is not impossible to introduce another rooster into a flock. They work together. On a side note, Gus' juvenile antics have subsided considerably. He no longer "war dances" at us, and he is getting better about strangers coming into the pasture. He is now a reformed boy, who protects his flock like a pro.
Beautiful, healthy and happy! Wish I lived in the country and could have more than one LF roo.

Last edited:
Okay at the request of M2H, here is Gus. And I couldn't leave out the big guy, or his lady, so the cochins are in here too.
wink.png
Plus some of the other photobombers.

Both boys. Living in harmony. It took a little bit, but it is not impossible to introduce another rooster into a flock. They work together. On a side note, Gus' juvenile antics have subsided considerably. He no longer "war dances" at us, and he is getting better about strangers coming into the pasture. He is now a reformed boy, who protects his flock like a pro.
kabhyper~ Gus is as handsome as ever and looks like he takes his job seriously. He looks annoyed that you took photos without his permission.
I like your Cochins, too. I was going to get a Blue Cochin from Old Salt to keep my Chocolate Orp warm this winter, but he wouldn't share so my Orp will probably die.
pbirdhaven said Bantams need a buddy to cuddle with at night. I think she specified Blue Cochins and Chocolate Orps are the best combination to ensure long lives.
toodlesmom~ The scaly legs mites are gone and weren't that big of a deal compared to Violet's leg injury or all of the Marek's types of symptoms happening to members' flocks. After trying elaborate treatments requiring several steps, I found that VetRx (camphor and oils) applied directly on the legs worked quickly and didn't bother my BR Tweedy nearly as much as prior treatments. Every week, I use my Shark steam cleaner after I clean the coop since the mites leave eggs to hatch later, kind of like fleas.

Well my lil roo is not improving. He's quite miserable. I've decided to have him put down as early as I can get an appointment and have the necropsy so that I know for sure what I am dealing with. I want to protect the rest of my flock to the best of my ability. I do feel like I failed them this year. I brought too many in at once from different sources. A week quarantine doesn't do much for a disease with a 4-12 wk incubation period. I've also considered my flock already carried this and I have just never had such a susceptible breed. Who knows.

On a brighter note I have a new layer. My 22 wk old SLW joined the ranks yesterday. Hurray!

Last edited:
Thanks. I guess the Rocks could be mutts. I really don't know what they are for sure. I thought they were Leghorns when I bought them as chicks. Also, I guess one of the Red Sexlinks could be laying it? They are mutts, right?

I'm crossing my fingers for a different shade from the other EE.

red sexlinks are hybrids. Breed for high egg production. They lay brown eggs so if you have some of them that is a possibiltiy. What color are the "white rocks" earlobes?

Honestly, unless they are high-quality show bred white Plymouth Rocks, ear lobe color isn't going to mean much. It's shape and size that will mean more. Post a recent picture of them and I can give you my best guess.

As a side note, if you were meaning the egg at the bottom left of the picture you posted, it looked more like a light brown egg than a white egg to me. This is a plausible outcome from outcrossing white Rocks to white Leghorns in order to up production, which is what was done in some hatchery Plymouth Rock stock from what I understand.

And yes, sexlinks are a hybrid. Mutts are usually accidental crosses or crosses made on a whim. Hybrids are bred for a specific outcome, in this case being sexable upon hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom