INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you just throw them in the trash? Brave of you to crack one open LOL! The instructions said to leave the vent plugs in until they start hatching. Is that wrong? Also how in the heck do you calibrate a glass probe thermometer? It said how in the paperwork, but it doesn't make sense. I was afraid to break it trying to "slide" it in the metal holders. Man I feel like such a rookie right now. Thanks for holding my hand through this. HA! I plugged it in, and put the thermometer in on top of the egg turner. I am testing the temp. I plan on putting the 9 silkie eggs that are currently in the coop, in the incubator tomorrow.

2. kabhyper1

Oh yeah also, what do you wash the eggs with before they go in? Dawn? I don't have egg wash.

3. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    It took me a few minutes to be brave enough to crack one. I was afraid I was going to see a developed chick! Now to calibrate the thermometer, you get a thermometer than you know is correct and try to match the thermometer it came with by sliding it and it shouldn't break( I'm not great at explaining things but i try my best. lol) Now what it said by leaving the vent plugs in till the hatch, I didn't follow that one. I just took them out every now and then to keep a stable temp and humidity.

4. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I read that too, but I was clueless about it so I never washed the eggs I put in there.

5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    It looks like it has a lot of great features. The others from TSC with the fan and turner add up fast in price too so it looks like a great deal. The only one even close in price range with digital display and setting is the genesis. I got mine from rural king online and it shipped really fast. But they had it on sale that day and a free shipping code too. Right now I think you would want to price it on a few other sites too. But it is nice having a digital display.
    But if you are looking for a cheap no thrills incubator just to try incubating, you may want to try a still air one and give it a try turning the eggs by hand. Then you are looking at under $50 and should you decide you like incubating then you can get the fancy one. If you end up with 2 it is ok since the still air cheapy can be used as either a lockdown one or a week 1 giving you a way to have chicks every 2 weeks instead of 3.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  6. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  7. kabhyper1

Thanks! Although I do not have the space for chicks every two weeks! I hope I don't get the hatching fever. lol How do you add water to an incubator like the one I bought? Also should I put the eggs in a carton fat end up for the night before I put them in the incubator? They are laying in the nest box. She is still laying everyday, so either her clutch isn't done or she is an overachieving silkie.
    [​IMG]

8. kabhyper1

[​IMG] I feel like the more questions I ask the more overwhelming it all is. I hope I don't screw it up. [​IMG]

9. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Sally - I forget...are you using a 1588?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by