INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Pip, your knowledge base is impressive. You must read every bit of chicken litterateur available to you.
    Good going kiddo!

2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay guys, I bought this today. I haven't opened it yet, because I want to hear from you all if you think it is a good one to use. Otherwise it's going back to TSC. Funny little factoid about this incubator, the box says it is made in Plymouth ,IN.
    [​IMG]

3. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I have that same incubator! I love it, though the only thing I didn't like about it was I had to set the thermometer to measure correctly with another correct thermometer, but that wasn't too bad. I also like how it was quiet. I placed 14 eggs in there and 12 were shipped and two were my stock. They all developed, but the shipped eggs and one of my chickens eggs stopped developing around day 14 besides four. Eventually four chicks hatched. I blame the low hatch rate on my not so experienced hatcher, and because they were shipped. All in all, I think it's a good incubator.

4. kabhyper1

I wonder if silkie eggs will be okay in it since they are so small?

5. DarthLayer

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I think it would be. Also I forgot to mention, the hygrometer is not accurate at all.

6. kabhyper1

Well that's not good. Maybe I should get a different incubator. This is a dumb question, but do the chicks hatch inside that thing?? Then they go into a brooder box, or what? lol

7. DarthLayer

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    There is no such thing as a dumb question :)! You take the egg turner out at day 18 and place them on the rack. When they hatch leave them in there to dry and wait for the majority hatch. They can survive 3 days without food I believe.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  8. kabhyper1

Thanks! I'm sure it comes with instructions, but asking questions on here usually gets better answers. [​IMG] So Some reviews on this one say it cooked their eggs, but the majority on amazon said it worked perfectly. So I think I will try it. I'm still paranoid of losses. I don't want to kill any chicks. I know it's inevitable, but still sucks. I'm not sure my silkies have mastered the art of baby making yet. [​IMG]

9. DarthLayer

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Yeah when I first hatched eggs for the first time, on day 25 I didn't want to discard any eggs because I was convinced I saw one rock. At day 30 I finally decided none were going to hatch and I cracked them open outside and they weren't any chicks, but nasty smelling eggs. My life lesson learned: if they don't hatch after day 25, discard them. Also I don't know if you have read the article on hatching eggs on here. I found it really helpful. There was something on there that said something along the lines, If you keep the vent plugs in for the first 10 days, the chicks hatch stronger. I did try that and I think it worked because most of the chicks hatched within an hour and one hatched I believe in 30 minutes.

If you put eggs in there, please keep us updated :)

10. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
    Ok all this incubator talk has me thinking about hatching chicks! I don't need any more projects right now!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by