INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I must have missed how many eggs a day you are getting, I'm thinking it was close to half a doz.
For the eggs, you don't want to put them in an incubator on different days unless you have a hatching incubator. Even with a hatching incubator you want to add eggs to the incubator at least 1 week apart. To explain why: on day 18 or when you see an internal pipping using a flashlight, you enter the lockdown stage. During the lockdown stage the humidity is increased and for some birds the temp nudged down. Either of these would not be good for eggs that were not ready for lockdown. Once in lockdown you are not to open the lid unless there is an emergency. I have opened the lid once chicks are dried off while there are other eggs still trying. It is not the best and I won't do it on shipped eggs or hard to hatch eggs. So if you ae putting the eggs in on day 1 and want to add eggs on day two, the recommended method is the store fat end up in a brreathable carton using the seasaw method until you have either collected eggs for 5 days or reached the number of eggs you want to set for that week. I set my eggs in the afternoon to evening with no issues. Once I have the eggs I would not leave them in a carton overnight just to set in the morning Unless I was going to be gone around day 21.
As for adding water I use the sponge method. I got cheap sponges from target and I cut them to varying sizes. I then add or remove sponges as needed. I walk by my incubator at least 5-7 times a day but I try to only adjust the humidity every other day or so.
For adding water during lockdown, I keep straws that fit down the vent hole. Then I make sure a sponge is under the vent hole and only if needed do I had a few strawfuls of water. But for lockdown I typically have more than one sponge in the incubator and I also have a babyfood jar of water that is more marbles than water so the chicks can't drown. The jar is more to relieve my mind of the idea of a chick not having water for 2 days.

I have 9 eggs. They are from 9 days ago until today. I'm not sure which ones are which because I forgot to mark them. Now what? lol. My incubator has an egg turner, so where would I put the sponge?

Okay guys, I bought this today. I haven't opened it yet, because I want to hear from you all if you think it is a good one to use. Otherwise it's going back to TSC. Funny little factoid about this incubator, the box says it is made in Plymouth ,IN.
Im glad to see that you caved! lol. I honestly think that the more you do and the more you worry, the more issues you have or cause. I am not familiar with that incubator other than seeing it in the stores. That being said, they look practically the same as the LG. IMO, these are great incubators to learn how to hatch in because it seems if you can be successful with these, you can hatch with anything. You can NOT beat yourself up for failed hatches. Its part of learning. Before I would actually put eggs in the incubator I would do several different trial runs. First I would calibrate the thermometer and hygrometer. If you can pop out the hygrometer, it will be easy to calibrate. I take a medicine cup and put salt in it. then add enough water to make it the consistency of wet sand. If you were able to picck up the salt in your hand you should be able to form it, but not have water run out. then place this medicine cup and hygrometer in a plastic bag. Leave it for 8 plus hrs. the hygrometer should read 75%. if it doesnt then you need to "calibrate" it. example; if it read 72% then you need to add 3% to all your readings in the incubator, and likewise if it read 85%, you need to subtract 10% each time you read the hygrometer. To calibrate your thermometer, i just get several different ones that all measure the same and use them. There is a way with crushed ice and water, but not familiar with this method. I like to use 2 or more thermometers. a great one I use is this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12462462&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No I like this one due to the small probe. I can easily slip it into the vent holes on top or make a small dent between the lid and base and slide it in there. I typically just leave it hanging through the top vent holes. Now, as mentioned above, i would do several different trials BEFORE putting egg in there to help eliminate headaches. First run it with all vents open, egg turn in and running. Figure out how to get the correct temps (99.5F) and humidity (i dry incubate and incubate around 30%. i dont like it lower than 25% or higher than 35%. I try to maintain the 30%). Once you successfully acheive this, then turn off the turner and take it out. Verify the temp does not drop as the turner does have a motor, thus creating heat. Once that is verified, move onto increasing humidity. I try for 55% humidity at lockdown. Once they start hatching it can drastically increase. mine got up to 95% last night and endedd up causing a chick to become stuck in the egg and die after it pipped. So just keep an eye out when they start hatching. Once you figure out what you need to do to acheive correct temps and humidity during incubation and lockdown, then I would add the eggs. My first hatch, I calibrated the incubator for the first 18 days, then I had no idea how to get the humidity correct and was constantly messing with it to get it correct. this made me more nervous than necessary and more of a headache. For lockdown and humidity, I have found that with both vents open, I can place a rubbermaid food storage container that is about 6" long x 4" wide x 2" tall with a sponge about the same size filled with water puts me at the correct %. I dont use the wells in the bottom tray as i founnd theem harder to keep filled. This way, I just fished a piece of 1/4" tubing through the lid into the container and under the sponge to keep it in place. I think use a 60cc syringe and fill it through the tubing that is sticking out the top. I will try to get pictures to help explain. If you are using the bottom channels, you could probably due the same thing with the tubing. On top of the wire floor, I put down rubber shelf liner. this helps keep most of the poop and egg pieces on the top and not on the styrofoam. the chicks are able too stand on it better as well. Also, incubating in a room that has a very stable temp will give you the best results. also wait several hours after making a temp adjustment before making any more. With the LG, the temp control knob is VERY sensitive. I found shining a flashlight on it makes it easier to see when you are turning it. I barely turn mine and it willl lower the temp by a degree or two. I cant recall anything else off the top of my head so feel free to ask if I have missed something.
Well that's not good. Maybe I should get a different incubator. This is a dumb question, but do the chicks hatch inside that thing?? Then they go into a brooder box, or what? lol
I would give this one a try. if it doesnt work for you then you could always sell it on craigslist. Unless you want to get another incubator to hatch in, thenn yes the chicks will also hatch in this incubator. after the majority hatch and are dried out, then move them to a brooder.
Oh yeah also, what do you wash the eggs with before they go in? Dawn? I don't have egg wash.
Yes, do not wash the eggs. I also do not incubate heavily soiled eggs.

I FINALLY got a good legbar hatch! I have 5 that hatched. still not sure of sexes, but sure of 2 being pullets and 2 being roos. One im not 100% but think its a pullet. I also have one swedish flower hatch.

Im glad to see that you caved! lol. I honestly think that the more you do and the more you worry, the more issues you have or cause. I am not familiar with that incubator other than seeing it in the stores. That being said, they look practically the same as the LG. IMO, these are great incubators to learn how to hatch in because it seems if you can be successful with these, you can hatch with anything. You can NOT beat yourself up for failed hatches. Its part of learning.
Before I would actually put eggs in the incubator I would do several different trial runs. First I would calibrate the thermometer and hygrometer. If you can pop out the hygrometer, it will be easy to calibrate. I take a medicine cup and put salt in it. then add enough water to make it the consistency of wet sand. If you were able to picck up the salt in your hand you should be able to form it, but not have water run out. then place this medicine cup and hygrometer in a plastic bag. Leave it for 8 plus hrs. the hygrometer should read 75%. if it doesnt then you need to "calibrate" it. example; if it read 72% then you need to add 3% to all your readings in the incubator, and likewise if it read 85%, you need to subtract 10% each time you read the hygrometer.

To calibrate your thermometer, i just get several different ones that all measure the same and use them. There is a way with crushed ice and water, but not familiar with this method.

I like to use 2 or more thermometers. a great one I use is this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12462462&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
I like this one due to the small probe. I can easily slip it into the vent holes on top or make a small dent between the lid and base and slide it in there. I typically just leave it hanging through the top vent holes.

Now, as mentioned above, i would do several different trials BEFORE putting egg in there to help eliminate headaches. First run it with all vents open, egg turn in and running. Figure out how to get the correct temps (99.5F) and humidity (i dry incubate and incubate around 30%. i dont like it lower than 25% or higher than 35%. I try to maintain the 30%). Once you successfully acheive this, then turn off the turner and take it out. Verify the temp does not drop as the turner does have a motor, thus creating heat. Once that is verified, move onto increasing humidity. I try for 55% humidity at lockdown. Once they start hatching it can drastically increase. mine got up to 95% last night and endedd up causing a chick to become stuck in the egg and die after it pipped. So just keep an eye out when they start hatching.

Once you figure out what you need to do to acheive correct temps and humidity during incubation and lockdown, then I would add the eggs. My first hatch, I calibrated the incubator for the first 18 days, then I had no idea how to get the humidity correct and was constantly messing with it to get it correct. this made me more nervous than necessary and more of a headache.

For lockdown and humidity, I have found that with both vents open, I can place a rubbermaid food storage container that is about 6" long x 4" wide x 2" tall with a sponge about the same size filled with water puts me at the correct %. I dont use the wells in the bottom tray as i founnd theem harder to keep filled. This way, I just fished a piece of 1/4" tubing through the lid into the container and under the sponge to keep it in place. I think use a 60cc syringe and fill it through the tubing that is sticking out the top. I will try to get pictures to help explain. If you are using the bottom channels, you could probably due the same thing with the tubing.

On top of the wire floor, I put down rubber shelf liner. this helps keep most of the poop and egg pieces on the top and not on the styrofoam. the chicks are able too stand on it better as well. Also, incubating in a room that has a very stable temp will give you the best results. also wait several hours after making a temp adjustment before making any more. With the LG, the temp control knob is VERY sensitive. I found shining a flashlight on it makes it easier to see when you are turning it. I barely turn mine and it willl lower the temp by a degree or two.

I cant recall anything else off the top of my head so feel free to ask if I have missed something.
I would give this one a try. if it doesnt work for you then you could always sell it on craigslist. Unless you want to get another incubator to hatch in, thenn yes the chicks will also hatch in this incubator. after the majority hatch and are dried out, then move them to a brooder.
Yes, do not wash the eggs. I also do not incubate heavily soiled eggs.

Thanks! I have it turned on right now, just to see what temp it gets. There doesn't seem to be room enough in the incubator with the turner in for a bowl and sponge. The turner takes up most of the space. Since I have eggs that are along a nine day span of laying, and I didn't mark them, can I put them all in at the same time?

Thanks! I have it turned on right now, just to see what temp it gets. There doesn't seem to be room enough in the incubator with the turner in for a bowl and sponge. The turner takes up most of the space. Since I have eggs that are along a nine day span of laying, and I didn't mark them, can I put them all in at the same time?
you will probably not need the container with water for the first 18 days if you dry incubate. once you go into lockdown, you will be removing the turner (im assuming) thus allowing room for a container of water. i put mine in a corner and put hardware cloth around it to prevent chicks from playing on it. they get up there and get burnt from the heating element (nothing that causes major injuries, just red marks on combs mainly).

yes, i would put them all in at once. since you are incubating and hatching in the same incubator, you will want to set all the eggs at once and once they hatch, add more eggs. it would be very hard to do a staggered hatch in that incubator since there is no extra room with the turner.

Sally - I forget...are you using a 1588?
yes, After I got addicted to incubating I got the 1588 with the 1611 yellow turner no quail or goose racks.
Then I have 2 still airs that were gifted to me by a very sweet member on here. I also have a turner for one of them. So once I get a fertile rooster I can set in weekly batches and still have time to air out the incubators between lockdowns and having eggs added. But when I plan to set weekly I don't fill the incubator. I'm on day 11 of my backyard mixed eggs but of the 12 I set only 4 started and the other 8 were not fertile. At that point I had 4 - 5 roosters each of which were mating and only 9 hens.
Basically I was setting the eggs that we did not eat or sell to friends. Friends sometimes turn out to be cheap though and chicks are valuable.
Since I try to recoup my feed money with the hatched chicks, I really miss having fertile roosters. I'm thinking it will be at least 6 weeks before my HRIR are fertile.

But I have chicks coming from Meyer next week and eggs from NY and OK this week. At least I should be able to sort the CL roos out shortly after hatch. I still have 3 mixed chicks that I kept for me that i don't know the gender on.

I have 9 eggs. They are from 9 days ago until today. I'm not sure which ones are which because I forgot to mark them. Now what? lol. My incubator has an egg turner, so where would I put the sponge?
for me 3 of the 4 edges around the turner have enough space to stand the thin cheap sponges up like a sideways door. But i typically only need part of a sponge since it is surface area and all but one small edge is open. Egg location in the circulated air model should not matter too much, I start at one corner and just fill one row at a time. I would set all of the eggs but pull any non starters on day 7 instead of day 10 since a couple of them are more than a week old.

I FINALLY got a good legbar hatch! I have 5 that hatched. still not sure of sexes, but sure of 2 being pullets and 2 being roos. One im not 100% but think its a pullet. I also have one swedish flower hatch.
Congrats. I hope mine hatch as well.

Last edited:
*Introduction*
Just wanted to say hello!
I'm on the near east side of Indianapolis. My husband and I bought a house just a couple months ago, and a good friend gifted us Partridge Cochin bantam chicks as a housewarming surprise. We've busted our asses trying to get a coop built, but it's been difficult. We've sourced out much of our wood for free and my husband(thank goodness) is a woodworker! It's been slow going and I just want to bring my birds home. I find myself drooling and gawking other birds on a daily basis(someone help me!), but my flock will be full when I bring these home. Do any of you go to any Indiana swaps? It seems Craigslist is full of Roos and the same type of birds over and over. :/
I made a promise to myself about not purchasing straight runs, so as to prevent me getting stuck with too many Roos. I'm not against eating, but really? How satisfying can a Cochin bantam be??? Anyways...
Feel free to send me a PM, I'll try to post photos of the coop and flock soon...or eventually...I can't make any promises. ;)
Ps, I'm also obsessing over Cayuga ducks.

Back
Top Bottom