INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

We are still moving at some point, my DH has a mentally handicap uncle who will be moving in with us so we need somewhere preferably with a mother in law quarters so he can have his own space too. We have given ourselves 18 months to work on it. Not a major rush but I fear it is going to be one of those moments where time flies and we will pick something not so great as we left it too late.
    There was a great house in Rochdale; 10 acres, 4 bed house in move in condition, two huge barns both with power and one with water 89k. It is just a hair too far from where we feel comfortable. I am fine with the driving, DH on the other hand, not so much... So we shall keep on looking for that gem.

I guess you are right with comparing Rangi and Bonbon, each are stunning in their own ways :love

2. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Jest not, I place eggs on in the grass from each coop and collect them after the feeding and watering the amount of times I have missed an egg that rolled. They are pink/light brown darn it, is it really that hard to find.

Glad we don't do Easter egg hunts back home, I would have been that kid given 'pity' eggs as my basket was empty.

3. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Shame you were not closer, I would have happily taken the largest pleco for a 'pond' at work. Would love to have a Cichlid tank at some point in my life. My 40g currently stocks very little fish with two albino cavefish being my only special fish. Defiantly not as stunning as some of the cichlids out there.

4. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Jchnny - Darn thing would not quote your posting.

So my intentions of coming online later were all lies. I went to work and ended up staying until 6:30pm.. pfft
    No time to do anything, it is getting silly. The guy cutting my grass is no longer doing so without warning. So I am now trying to work in hopefully a last cut of the season by myself.. ugh.

I was wondering about the olive egger thing. So EE's and Olive eggers are one in the same? Just depends on their linage?

BTW, if you need eggs let me know. Been so busy all I have done is collect them here of late. Sunday morning I scrambled 105 (to be fed back to the girls) boiled 18 LF eggs and 28 bantam eggs.
    I have a few spare if you don't mind size :D

5. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    How are the rest of you doing around the state with rainfall? I think I read in the paper that up here in Elkhart county we are in drought conditions again. Sunday evening there were a few raindrops -- enough to make the pavement wet. This past week there were systems that moved through just to the north of us and then just to the south. We seem to be in a band that keeps getting missed -- just like last summer. I'm needing to water my garden again -- it could use it every day right now. Just checked out our 16 day forecast and there's not a drop anywhere predicted....Anyone want to join me in a raindance??!!

6. FarkerFarms

FarkerFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Nothing here! I keep getting barely missed by the storms in Lafayette. I get all the wind, thunder and clouds and only two minutes of sprinkles. My lawn is brown, my garden is thirsty and my pasture is about done for the year. I am really not happy as hay is going to be expensive again and I don't want to start having to hay the horses three months early! I'll rain dance with you for sure!

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    A word of warning--it shouldn't be bad on her health unless she is brooding for months, but I have heard that pullets and younger hens tend not to go through with hatching and raising the chicks. Yes, some youngsters will hatch and raise chicks, but others abandon them, so be prepared with a backup plan for those eggs or the chicks they produce.
    Odd. So when you're married, your red sexlinks turn into Buff Orpingtons and your roosters' feathers frizzle? ;)
    :lau They are adorable in different ways. :D
    We had a little rain and it's been cool since, but beautiful and sunny. That's perfectly alright with me! I made the mistake of falling asleep with my window open last night, though. I think I had icicles hanging from my nose by this morning.

8. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thankyou all!!!!! Update on the broody ......... After I put her in the run with the others last night before bedtime,I went out to the coop at 9ish and she was sleeping in the nesting box, I figured for sure broody. SO I went out there this morning, a little late, so they were all up and around in the coop, and the little stinker was on the roost with the other chickens. When I let them out she went out with them, got a drink out of the alpaca pool (their preferred watering hole, even though they have 2 waterers in the coop [​IMG]) and went to get the morning scratch I give them. I will go out and check on her in a bit, but I'm not going to put eggs under her if she only wants to be broody during the day and part of the night. LOL ditzy Cochins and Silkies , gotta love 'em. [​IMG]

Oh yeah I bought a digital thermometer/humidity unit last night for the incubator. Darn thing only goes up to 95 degrees. grrr. But I can use it for humidity. At any rate I have gotten the probe thermometer at the 99.5 degree temp, as the stock thermometer on that thing is useless. I don't want to put eggs in until I know for sure the probe one is accurate. I do need to get those eggs in soon though. Maybe I just need to trust it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  9. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    How was the vet visit?

10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    This morning my lil guy had taken a turn for the worse. He was completely covered in maggots this morning. I thought I was going to die. He was in my walk out basement but apparently a fly made it in. I bathed him in warm water and wrapped him in a towel. Since he was wet I could get a better look at him. He had a laceration on his under belly near his vent that I could not see before because of all his fluffiness. It wasnt deep, but it was there and I missed it. My vet was awesome. I went to Hillview in Franklin. She has her own flock and I think that helps. She took a full flock history and then a history on my individual little guy that was down. After all was said and done and after looking at X-rays it did appear he had trauma to his spinal cord, probably from my other silkie roo. I had him put down. I feel horrible for it but I think I did the right thing. My vet made a call to purdue and they will do a necropsy free of charge (its normally $125 now, I don't know how she got this deal for me) to rule out other causes. I have a friend that wants one of my birds but I'm not bringing any birds in or letting them leave until tests are back. Better safe than sorry. I'm pretty sad. I never get used to losing a bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by