1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    135 posts in 22 hours 16 minutes.

They were coming so fast, I wasn't sure I could catch you.

Like the 1957 Buick stopping for gas. The attendant says "Hey, buddy, could you shut off the engine? You're gaining on me". [​IMG]

John

PS. It occurs to me that the above joke is dated. Back then, you didn't pump your own gas, the attendant did. The 1957 Buick was a notorious gas hog, about 7 mpg. Fortunately, gas was about 20 cents per gallon.

You can still get gas for 20 cents per gallon, if you pay with silver dimes which are worth about $2.00 each. Things don't cost more. The money is worth less.

John

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think we need a closed group fb page. It would be a lot more organized. Individual posts would have spaces for their own comments. I have a farm page if everyone wants to use it. But I think It would have to be set up as a group. It is really nice having you all on here though. You all have helped us through a lot of chicken issues.
    [​IMG]

3. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    There are people on here that know more about it than I do, but they haven't answered you. If they disagree, they should "speak now or forever hold your peace".

I really doubt that it would cause any harm. Chickens lay eggs to produce babies. We intervene and eat those eggs. If she is broody, her nature is saying, "I am ready to make babies".

Like I said before, make sure she has feed and water readily available. Shove a bunch of eggs under her and let her have at it.

If you find cause to change your mind, you can always yank the eggs and toss them. Or pull the chicks and brood them.

Eggs are not gold. Whether you eat them or let a hen try to hatch them, you are putting them to your use. Either is valid.

Let the hen decide whether or not she will make babies.

Just my thoughts............

John

4. jchny2000

jchny2000 Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    can be as long as a month! really depends on the hen tho. Betsy, my GLW went a month, killer psycho Bunny, EE, just as long! My BA hens, had 3 girls all go broody at once!
    Aall 3 quit after a week. They wont be a year old til december but may not have anything to do with it.
    [​IMG]miss ya, take some time for you too! [​IMG] hoping you find a new roo soon. Sounds to me like you have an olive egger, congrats!

I started last year in April after not owning birds for close to 30 years. We got 6 chicks, 6 gosling, 4 ducklings.
    I have 3 full incubators, (1 for hatching) and brooding around 18 chicks, 6 turkey poults, 39 quail chicks, 3 guinea keets and 5 peafowl!
    Glad I have the office trailer! 1 large room is brooders only, makes it so nice!
    [​IMG]260 birds later, I have a "want list" a mile long! Seriously tho, I am retired and have to home for my parents care, so it fills my day.
    Feeds our family and makes my parents happy to hold and fuss over the new babies.

5. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hahahaha
    [​IMG]

6. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    [​IMG]

This photo is presented for documentary purposes and is not intended to depict any persons, real or imagined. Nor should this presentation be construed to represent any comment for or against any situations encountered in life or imagined life situations for the purpose of any and all or even somewhat real or proposed comfort of situations of relevance to other situations or places of interest in any manner.

John

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. jchny2000