INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I'm sorry for your loss. You did the best you could for him and I know that had to be a very hard decision.:hugs

2. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm sorry for your loss. You were an awesome mom for the lil guy! [​IMG]

3. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for your loss.
    [​IMG]

4. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I don't make the rules. I only report the facts as they're made available to me. [​IMG]

John

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  5. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    We actually had a little bit of frost that needed to be scraped off the windshield this past Saturday morning. Way too early for that in my opinion -- I still want to get a late crop of lettuce & spinach planted yet & I'm running out of time![​IMG]

6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Personally I think if you watch her close and make sure she gets food and water, then she could hatch the eggs. But if you are really busy or can't make it out to the coop area 3-5 times a day to check and make sure she is eating I would try and get a pair of chicks for her. Let her raise the chicks for a couple of week then rehome them if you don't have the space. Or you could get her a pair of cornish cross chicks and have meat in 2 months and if you did not want the cornish chicks you can bring them to me.

7. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    A 50g aquarium can make a nice brooder for just hatched chicks....... I used a spare tank of mine, and it worked really well until they needed more room.

This is true. EE's are not a true breed at all. They are mostly mixes with Aracauna/Ameracauna ancestry. This gives them the blue egg laying gene (usually). If you then mate them with a chicken that lays dark brown eggs (Marans, Welsummer, etc...) then you can/may (depending on genetics of the parents) get a pullet with both the blue egg and brown egg genes that in combination give you an Olive Egg layer.

Are you sure she's broody? At 6 mths has she even laid eggs yet? Although I wouldn't say it won't happen, I've never heard of broody before egg laying. Although I have two broodies that started within a month of two after laying for the first time. I also have another one that I find in the nest boxes a lot, but it is because that is her hiding place of choice if she is getting picked on. She'll happily sleep in there for hours during the day if she is feeling a bit beat up.

8. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Pipd posted ~ Odd. So when you're married, your red sexlinks turn into Buff Orpingtons and your roosters' feathers frizzle? [​IMG]
    Haha, good catch Pipd. And the rooster didn't frizzle, he was poorly Photoshopped!
    racinchickins posted ~
    A 50g aquarium can make a nice brooder for just hatched chicks....... I used a spare tank of mine, and it worked really well until they needed more room.
    That's what we used -- we luckily had kept the one our bearded dragon used before he died of old age. Using an aquarium for a brooder was handy since it made an excellent Chicken TV.

julie0477~ My condolences on your roo. It is sad, but you did the right thing in caring for him and also taking him in to be checked. So did the vet think that all of his problems were due to injuries? It's easy not to notice problems because of all the feathers. I have overlooked questionable issues because I don't sort through all of their feathers every day. As much as my EE gets pecked in the coop at bedtime, I should probably check her skin more often.

9. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Got the rest of my shipped eggs today. They are now sitting in our basement. And either tomorrow night or Thursday morning I will be setting 28 eggs 10 CL and 18 Sumatras. I'm hoping for stripped chicks and blue chicks. Not that my black sumatra is ugly, he actually has some nice coloring when I get up close but I want a blue hen.

10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    M2h - she thought it looked as though one of the larger Roos pounced on him. She did an X-ray and there was a part of his spine that looked fractured and had swelling. She didn't know if he would recover and said if it were hers she'd put it down for quality of life issues, etc. (sigh). She did understand my concern for disease and worked out the necropsy with purdue. I am so torn up. I need to toughen up. I know the chances of things going awry go way up when you acquire as many birds as I did this year. It's just hard!

Thanks everyone for the condolences and for letting me vent my concerns about disease etc. I appreciate it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by