INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

2. Delawaremommy

Delawaremommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Welcome to our flock!!! I am new also. I have four Delaware pullets and am on egg watch 2013...Nothing yet but holding my breath as they are reddening up and practice squatting! I like Cayuga ducks too but live in a neighborhood so am very limited. Would like to get better (although not sweeter!) Delawares as well as possibly some Lavender Orpingtons and Dominiques.

Molting, change of seasons!!! Lucky you!

She is adorable!!!!!

Oh HELL NO!!!

3. CityHen-Indy

CityHen-Indy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    She definitely looks like she wants to momma those eggs:). Beautiful girl!

4. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Can anyone tell me what breed these are?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:John, she is sitting on 13. Is that enough? I gave her all the silkie eggs, most of which probably wont hatch because they are over a week old, but I didnt mark them when I gathered them to toss the older ones, so she gets them all. She is standard size and silkie eggs are tiny, so 13 isn't as much as it sounds lol. 9 Silkie eggs, an ee x wyandotte (that she stole) an australorp x wyandotte, and two others that I think are full wyandotte. It s her first time, so we will see what happens lol! I moved her to a bigger box. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. CountryHen19

CountryHen19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Woodburn, IN
    Very interested in this! I like organization lol :)
    So Sorry for your loss!
    So adorable!!! Love the video...she really does want to be a momma :) Thanks for sharing
    She sounds like a wonderful mother hen Leahs Mom!

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    the hen looks broody. I think 13 eggs should be a max and if you can candle some on night 7 to remove duds it might be a good idea since she is young. It has to be less work to hatch 7-9 eggs instead of 13.

The face book page sounds interesting, we could have a few more documents and photos could be organized if chosen to. The docs could be great info sorted by various topics including broody hen info, how to brood chicks, how to raise meat chicks, All kinds of great info sorted out. The the photos could be put into albums too. There could be a coop album, a run / yard album, a ff album, a chick / chicken album, and even chickens by breeds too for more organization.
    The downfall is that it means more work for the admins and I'm thinking we could not link to it on this thread which might die out. BYC has rules about linking to other chicken pages if it takes people off of this site to a similar site. People get banned over linking. One of these banned people has her own forum site now.

I'm thinking it would be just as easy to ask her if we could have a state section and each state could have its own subsection with multiple threads on her forum. Sometimes threads get buried on FB and the FB search feature is not as good as a forums (no searching by date or username) Again though I'm not sure how we could quickly link others there since there are rules against linking to other chicken forums. For good reasons too BYC wants posters to stay here and support their advertisers.
    Although maybe BYC would be willing to start a Indiana subsection under their where are you section. Then we could get organized on here and nobody would need links. We lose the FB docs and instead have to link to google docs but no members are lost and no BYC rules are broken or bent.

I will follow the crowd on this one though, so if a FB group is started I plan to join.

8. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
  9. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    FB? I don't know. My favorite pages tend to get lost among all the paid for stuff.

10. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    John had a good idea, but I will say it again guys. Shoe covers often do more harm than good if you are trying to control disease. They give a false sense of security.
    [​IMG]
    Your best bet is to keep some cheap clogs and a foot bath pan with a 10% bleach solution for visitors. Please believe me on this.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by