INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    It's hard to tell with that crow blocking the view of the chicken.[​IMG]

John

2. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hmm... maybe but I had a pretty good look at this chicken's nostrils and I can't see through them. I did a lot of reading about peepers before buying them and they are not legal in the UK. I know Wiki is not always right and you can't believe everything you read on the Internet but I will give you a link and let you decide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinders_(poultry)

Not trying to start an argument John. It's just the first I have heard or read that you can see through the nostrils and the pins do no harm.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i reLly need to come up with a farm name. I am terrible at these kind if things

4. HouseKat

HouseKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    She just hops right back out on her own!

5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I'm interested, The main problem I have with my still airs is keeping the room temp constant. if the room temp goes up by 1 degree because I don't have the air on, then the incubator temp tends to go up a touch. Well in this kind of weather with cool mornings and warm evenings, I'm making adjustments all the time but not with my 1588. It knows not to kick on the heat. Still with the Christmas baking right around the corner a auto vent that kicks open when the incubator gets too hot might be something i need to look into. But I'm going to be getting a fancy chicken coop door before any more 1588's are purchased.

1 person likes this.
  6. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I just love the shingles, and how your coops looking, just flat awesome!
    So glad you kept Max! Hope he doesn't cause you problems with your birds. If you work with him cautiously you can break the killing instinct he has.
    Little steps. It sometimes doesn't work, my brindle boxer MadMax (no kidding, Max for short) never broke of it.
    He was impossible to train too. If he even saw a bird, or cat, went nuts!
    Chewing the fence and digging in the dog run, and tried to maul one of my old barn cats. Had the poor thing pinned! He was very bird aggressive too.
    If I leashed and walked him, he all but broke my arm restraining him from the birds. He was a stray we took in last year, I tried for months to retrain him.
    He knocked my Dad down trying to "play" and that was the final straw. I rehomed him with a young couple that owned a horse ranch.
    No cats, elderly people, kids or chickens, ugh.

Haha, love the peepers! Really changes the flocks personality when the bad apple is removed or corrected!

7. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

8. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Originally Posted by danand [​IMG]
    Kab- that is so neat about your roo!! Might be a new thing "therapy chickens"!! Sure helps me

kabhyper & danand~ Chickens have been great for my mental health, too (Don't listen to Old Salt's comments about that! haha)
    Therapy Chickens are new-- just Google and you'll find lots of interesting stories.
    Those are wonderful photos,
    kabhyper. I remember when you had to get Oliver back! He is quite a dude.
    HouseKat~ My RIR Nene has also dived into the top of the feeder (not surprisingly). I made a lid using an aluminum disposable type of pizza tray. I poked the handles through the pan and just folded down the sides. The lid also keeps debris from falling in.
    That's a great photo. Sometimes I will feed my hens in small dishes-- one for each so they "perhaps" won't fight. They end up moving from bowl to bowl to make sure someone doesn't have something better in their bowl.

[​IMG]
    hogster posted~ Then I took the meat birds outside for some foraging. I just put them in the 4x4 and I took the injured chicken over with me. She did a great job foraging with them and showing them what to do. Then she found my flower bed and all help was done lol. It was wonderful to just sit there for a few and enjoy them. They were a lot more active than was I was expecting. They we trying out those little wings of theirs, lol. It was a great way to end my day.

[​IMG]
    Mama and chicks in their run

[​IMG]

Little meaties enjoying their first foraging.

hogster~ When I take my girls on field trips outside of their fenced-in areas, I always do yard work, but yesterday I was tired so I pulled up a chair and just watched them. Like you, I really enjoyed just relaxing and observing. My Jubilee orp Adeline took a dust bath for almost an hour and purred loudly the entire time! Of course I didn't happen to have my phone or iPad so I couldn't record it. [​IMG]

9. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN

It's hard to tell with that crow blocking the view of the chicken.[​IMG]
    John

Hahahaha! [​IMG] (Sorry Sally)

10. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Sally in Indiana posted: My chosen farm name is Sally's Red Meadow. There is nothing red other than chickens in my yard and a couple of maple trees. I don't even have a meadow. Nothing close to it. But for yrs I have been partial to the color red and meadows full of lovely flowers, sunsets too. We also don't really live on a farm just a house with a lot of backyard chickens.
    I recommend you pick a color, setting, animal, or place that you have loved for as long as you can remember and make it your own.
    For example John sees crows in lots of birds so he might choose John's Crow Aviary [​IMG]

Hahaha -- That's pretty good, Sally.
    I also loved your farm name and the description that has nothing to do with it. I guess you're saying to use an idyllic name that evokes happiness.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by