INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

Yea ouch, I think maybe I would just cull the culprit. Bound to make some good chicken and noodles!
    See above response! I have been threatening mine for a week. Well maybe 2. I added a poop board about 3-4 weeks ago. I figured a drop in their eggs but man! Then one went broody, the weather changed and the turkeys were causing an uproar. Fixed what I could fix, I actually got 10 eggs the first day after I took the turkeys out. Then yesterday 7. My talk needs to get a little more serious I'm thinking!

Get a soil test done on the area you are wanting to use. Make sure to test several areas within the area. That will give you a better idea of what that space need or doesn't need. Then let that be your guide.

I only left them long enough to go and get the ipad. Since it was a first I really wanted pics. That reminds me, I do need to pull some grass up so they have somewhere to bath in.

I've only ever known my dad to be wrong once. He said Clinton would never be president. Well he was wrong and I never forgot. Seems we won't forget this lol But we won't tel! Our little secret!
    I'm hoping for some decent weights. Being the first time for me, I'm actually a little anxious of their feeding amounts. I feel like I'm stuffing them lol. So I'm gonna use that chart as a guide, and watch the chicks to gauge feed. I'm going to redo my ratio today and see what I come up with.

I'll get pics of the turkeys today after things dry up a bit, we got rain! It rained most of the night. Well on and off anyway. My poor grand baby, 2 yo, was upset that the night was growling at her. She doesn't like thunder it appears. But thinks the lighting is cool. She could see the rain in the dark and was so excited, then she'd cover her ears and close her eyes when the night growled. Was really cute and funny!

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    thanks firbtelling me all the things i need to take into consideration! Hopefully i can come up with something good.

i also used to use on my horses too, i also no longer have any. I uave only used it when i have a chicken that is sick, in shick, or about to die. I actually think it works pretty good. when they are in shock it kind of brings them out of it, i have saved chickens that were about dead using it, and it has helped some of my sick chickens get better.I always have some on hand, i like it and use it more than any other medications and other stuff i have for them.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I have been so busy this week. I have barley had time to get om byc.

4. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I am sorry but I have no clue what ff is. I am so new at this. There are so many initials that I can never figure them all out.

5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

6. hogster160

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

No problem, I'm in that same boat. This is our first year with chickens of any sort lol.

Yes, what Sally said. I ferment my feed. Using chick starter I mix it with hot water and a glug of Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs brand, which has the mother in it) Normal vinegar is processed a lot so all the good stuff is taken out. Let it set overnight, then stirring it 2x per day for 4-5 days, then feed it to the chicks. It is normally thicker, like oatmeal. They love it.

I have 2 buckets going, so one is always in process of fermenting and the other is ready to go. When I feed out of the bucket, I replace what I took in dry. And sometimes I have to add more water, but I don't normally add any more ACV as it continues to stay in the ff.

Here's a link to what I use and the benefits of using it. http://bragg.com/products/acv.html

Here are also some links to preparing and using FF

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds/8330#post_12025983

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

Lots of information there, and its not just for meat birds. I use FF with my turkeys and layers. They all love it.

2 people like this.
  7. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    [​IMG] I am a dork. I should have known that. I ferment my feed. My layers get their layer crumbles and scratch grain fermented. Thank you for the information though.

8. hogster160

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Hehe, no worries. I thought you did ff, but then maybe I was thinking of someone else lol. Hey its early!

9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

So I have decided every morning while feeding alpacas and chickens, I am going to take Lavender off of her nest to eat. So I did that this morning. Little turd ate three bites and went back to the nest. I fed her while she was laying there a bit, I think she got a drink too. No poos. I hope she is getting up on her own when she needs to being so young. I also noticed her face and comb are super red. Dark red. Any thoughts from anyone with broody experience? Should I be feeding her something different than her omega three laying feed? Thanks everyone. You guys have baby stepped me through this. You all are awesome!

10. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Would not hurt to give her a table spoon of calf manna once a day. Mix it in with some feed. She will probably love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by