INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Oh they know how, but I've recently moved them, earlier this week. They want in the chicken coop and nothing else will work! They don't like the change I'm afraid. So they are getting wet, and crying with each clap of thunder lol. You are up north by me, it's a pretty active thunderstorm.

2. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Oh, so many questions...

Who has ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery? Was the experience a good one?

What is the latest in the year you have purchased or hatched Cornish X/any meat birds to put up for the winter?

We are thinking of purchasing some meat birds, again, but did not know if it was too late in the season to raise them properly. Is it better to wait til spring?

If you have raised meat birds, do you have a separate coop for them or do they share the coop with your layers?

And do you process your own birds, or do you have someone come do it for you? I was too "chicken" to do it myself last time.

3. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes lots of rain! My dogs are fine, grand baby and turkeys don't like the thunder. The want in the coop which is now far away from them and they won't go to theirs! They are soaking wet. Any ideas what I can do, I've been out there trying to guide them in, they won't do it.[/QUOTE]

Can you find a treat they like and see if they will follow you in?

4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    my 11 / 12 week old chickens were in the tarp / net covered coop. When the storm came they ran out from under the tarp and hid in a corner under nothing but chicken wire and netting. It was the first time I had seen them soaked. But to be honest I think it was their first big storm that they were not locked into a house or shed coop.

5. hogster160

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

I tried that, they followed me in, out and to the gate. Its all open faced, no doors, guess I'm gonna have to fix that. They are just going to get wet. I feel like a horrible mama cause I won't stay out there with them, but I'm soaked! I even put more feed in their feeder, they ate it and left lol.

6. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    When we were still in town I had raised garden beds. I would gather all the mulched leaves from the neighbors I could find and fill my garden boxes with leaves. Throughout the winter I would sprinkle rabbit poo over the leaves after we cleaned trays. By spring the leaves had composted and the beds were full of worms. Since we moved to our new farm, which was a field just a couple years ago, we have no trees & no leaves, which I'm really missing right now! Last fall for the first time I planted some annual rye as a cover crop in one of my beds after I dug potatoes. We're still spreading our rabbit poo & now have the alpaca poo & composted chicken bedding to use. For me, the best advice I have for garden beds is to keep adding as much organic garden amendments/compost as possible -- leaves being a terrific addition. I'm also trying to break us from using the tiller to preserve the soil structure that we're beginning to develop. My husband was able to build 9 garden boxes for me this year which each measure 4'x24' & I now have some permanent walking paths between them. Love, love, love the garden boxes. I do still have a really large area that we still need to till, but it's a work in progress!
    And we got rain last night & it's raining now!!! Sprout little lettuce seeds! [​IMG]

7. hogster160

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana

I went to rural king this past Monday they had meat chicks there. Maybe if you have one local to you, you can call and see if they have any. I got mine from Meyers. They are a week + old. My first time raising them. They are in the brooder box now, but have their shed revamped into a coop of their own.

8. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Any suggestions for a water container that won't spill that I can put in Lavenders nest box? I'm afraid she won't get enough water if I don't put some next to her.
    I'm being paranoid, aren't I?

She's my baby. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    how much space is there for water? I'm thinking a weighted dog bowl from a pet store if you want to spend the money. Another option is to find an old plastic bowl that is large enough to hold some heavier rocks but small enough to fit in the nesting area. then top with water but not more than 1/2 inch over the rocks. The rocks will provide some minor pecking entertainment. It is what I do for chicks, but it is a pain to keep the water clean as the rocks have to be washed every time the water is changed.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by