INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    NO! Perish the thought! There must be a better explanation than you were incorrect. Tell me it isn't so our great guru.
    [​IMG]

2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

What does it do? Would it help her keep weight on?

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Since she is not laying eggs she won't need the extra calcium in the layer feed. if you have a higher protein feed available I might give it to her. Personally I have noticed that the calcium oyster shell is heavy and dense so that a bag of layer feed takes up less space than a bag with lots of protein in it but of the same weight. Since oyster shell is cheap I don't buy the layer feed anymore. I would rather my chickens fill up on the food that has more protein and eat only as much calcium as they need. But I learned the hard way that too much calcium is bad for the kidneys and heart. I ended up with a great rooster that had heart issues from eating too much calcium.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. kabhyper1

Should I buy chick starter for her then? What other food is high in protein? I think she does definitely need protein and possibly something to help her hold her weight, since she isn't eating as much. BTW she is so cute sitting on those eggs. So far she is super attentive.

5. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Kab- I had 3 girls setting, all older, back when it was hot. I put small bowls of water and food next to them in the nest and they did eat it. I agree since she is young maybe high protein would be good. Otherwise just let her do her job, she'll figure it out.

Ok so everybody keep mentioning calf manna. W used to give it to an old horse when I was a kid( she was skin and bones) and it helped her. She was abused when we got her, lived into her 30's!! But that's been years ago. So somebody refresh my memory, what's in it and why is it so good?

6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

7. kabhyper1

I plan on giving them chick starter. I never used medicated feed. I will probably get her some of that, and maybe give her some cottage cheese or something for extra protein. Unless the calf manna would be better for that.

8. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I like the calf manna, also like suggested, liver is good.

WE HAVE RAIN !! My dogs, could do with out the thunder !! First good rain we've had in 2 months !!!! Everything is dryed up here.

Once again I'm to far behind to catch up !!!!

9. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    quote name="Little Ameraucana Mom" url="/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here/14040#post_12026690"]
    I like the calf manna, also like suggested, liver is good.

WE HAVE RAIN !!  My dogs, could do with out the thunder !!  First good rain we've had in 2 months !!!! Everything is dryed up here.

Once again I'm to far behind to catch up !!!!
    [/quote]

Yes lots of rain! My dogs are fine, grand baby and turkeys don't like the thunder. The want in the coop which is now far away from them and they won't go to theirs! They are soaking wet. Any ideas what I can do, I've been out there trying to guide them in, they won't do it.

10. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Yes lots of rain! My dogs are fine, grand baby and turkeys don't like the thunder. The want in the coop which is now far away from them and they won't go to theirs! They are soaking wet. Any ideas what I can do, I've been out there trying to guide them in, they won't do it.[/QUOTE]

If mine don't go in , I just leave them out, unless it is a new one that hasn't figure the in and out thing yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by