INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    CCC....Chickens I'm sending a few pictures your way. I won't be terribly surprised one way or another. I do want to know as I would not be able to sell the chicks in good conscience not being fully sure of their breed especially with the price differences. So far all the chicks I have sold, I have only mis labeled 2 of them and the buyer got the cheaper end of the deal. I had the breed right but they were not boys as I thought, just girls with big combs. But to be fair they were part of the pan fry deal I got and supposed to be roosters.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    my russian orloff has gotten worse. Another chicken with a torn tendon. I just went through this with my SF a few months ago. i need to cull her. i do not habe the money to uthanize her, and i watched some youtube videos on how to kill chickens and seeing them flailing sround and all i just cant bringyself to do it. I know dhe us in pain though, i think it is something i am just going to have to try and get used to. I am sure i eill bawl my eyes out, but it is better than her being in pain. I know she usny going to get any better, she has not improved at all. I just font want to have to do it.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    will go look now

4. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Old Salt has a broomstick method. The slicing of the veins takes a very very sharp knife. Some of the posts on here say you can gas a chick. maybe you could gas an older chicken too put her in a large box and hook up the car exhaust. I would not eat a gassed chicken but it might be a less painful way to go. It sure would be less bloody and you would not have to watch the chicken die since it would be in a box.
    Another option is to bring her to my DH tomorrow night and for free he will take care of it for you while you look at my HRIR chickens. and the mystery AM chicks. You could even bring along the pups if they are ready. We are a long drive though.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    if it werent fir the long drive i would! too bad you are like almost 3 hrs away. What is the broomstick method?

6. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    it involves placing the chicken's neck under the stick and maneuvering the stick and chicken until the head pops.

I had a guy from KY tell me to grasp the feet and swing the chicken a few times as hard as i could into the side of the coop and it would die. Almost anything would be better than that.

http://ai731.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/what-the-books-do-not-tell-you-about-killing-chickens/

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i am sure i would screw up ir be unable ti accomplish the brromstick method. And man that way sooind cruel. of coirse that would kill them at that point i would rather just run over her. Even that sounds less harsh

8. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I'm guessing you don't have a cone to contain the flapping. A milk jug can be used if you expand the hole a touch so the head can get through it. but you still have to nail the jug up somewhere you can get a bucket underneath to catch stuff.
    there is the AX method but many say it takes a heavy swing and you have to keep the chicken's neck in the right place.
    for us we went out and got a super sharp knife and we cut the 2 main veins. it is messy but the flapping is contained as we have a cone. For me now the removal of the insides is the hardest part.

What about sleeping pills dissolved in a very little bit of water, you could get her to swallow it using a dropper.

9. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I knew we were running too late for the chicken show, but as we neared the Bloomington Rural King on the way into town, I suggested to DH that we stop at RK to look at the chicks. He replied, "I didn't know there was such a thing as fall chicks, and he kinda sped up and drove right by! I wasn't really surprised. I did get a chicken fix by visiting his cousin's chickens.

While we were there, I saw this snake passing by and someone said that it was a water snake. I haven't been able to identify it by looking online . . . I know we have some snake experts on this thread who may know . . .

[​IMG]
    danad posted: Gun chief- we were there [Bloomington Poultry Show] about the same time!! Sorry we didn't meet![​IMG]
    danad & gunchief~ Did you both wear your name tags I posted for easy recognition or did you wear disguises to ensure you wouldn't be harassed? [​IMG]
    Originally Posted by jchny2000 [​IMG]
    I will be using the old hog pasture area for the garden. Plan to turn it before winter again in the spring.
    Any suggestions to prepare the soil otherwise?

Janet~ I remembered your question and asked my brother-in-law, who recently retired as an agronomist for Indiana Geological Survey/IU. He suggested that you send a soil sample to Purdue where they can determine if it needs lime or phosphorus, etc. Here's more info: www.ag.purdue.edu/counties/marion/Pages/SoilSamplingTesting.aspx
    I just noticed that hogster already suggested the same thing! I didn't even have to ask a soil scientist, after all.

hogster posted: I did see one white chicken (really don't know what kind she is lmao) that has some raised scales in the bend of her foot.
    hogster~ Google "scaley leg mites." (There are mild to heavy cases) My BR had that, which caused raised scales on her legs/bend of foot. The treatment that worked the best was using VetRx (camphor & oils)-- rub on legs several days in a row. Clean/change bedding...you can read more online, or if you think yours has scaley leg mites (transmitted from wild birds), you can let me know.
    jsummers~ I was just thinking about you the other day and wondered where you've been. Good to have you posting again! [​IMG]

10. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    CCCHICKENS posted: i am sure i would screw up ir be unable ti accomplish the brromstick method. And man that way sooind cruel. of coirse that would kill them at that point i would rather just run over her. Even that sounds less harsh

CCCHICKENS~ I am so sorry to hear that you have another chicken with a leg injury. I agree with you that you shouldn't be the one to end her life since it would be traumatizing to both of you. She deserves a humane death by an experienced person. Do you live near any members who process chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by