INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Quote: No, I had the name tag all printed out but ran off and forgot it at home.

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    ok this time I cant tell lol.Were there really name tags or are you neimg sarcastic? I have a feeling people would stare at me weird if i wrote my username on a name tag and worr it around lol

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  3. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Ccccc- M2H had those really cute tags for us to print. But I don't have a way to do that.

M2H- milk snake!!! I had one here this spring when we plowed a field for alfalfa. It's a good snake, goes after barn mice. Speaking of mice.....saw a rat in one of my coups last night!!!!eeeeeewwwwwhhhh!!!! New warfare to begin!!

4. FarkerFarms

FarkerFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    If anyone is interested in one of those dog igloo dog houses - I have a medium sized one that I will give away. I don't need it any more and have been reluctant to sell it on craigslist (not worth worrying about the crazies!). Free to a good home! :)

5. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I need to get pictures. I can't really tell. I did google and saw pics, but most pics are really bad cases. She just has a couple raised like where her foot bends, like where the ankle would be. I may just treat them all to be sure rather than sorry

I'm not sure where in Indiana you are, but close to me we have the amish. They will kill and butcher a chicken for you. Perhaps they will just kill it for you so you can take her home to bury her. Here is like $2.25-2.50 per bird from what I've been told. Might be another option for you. If you are northern Indiana, I have a number to a guy who did my neighbors turkeys, PM me and I'll give you his number.

Half of mine hide the other half stay out to forage. And yes they do look bad when they are wet!

6. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I'd agree. Looks like an eastern milk snake.

7. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    I find dead mice in my run all the time. My rooster kills them and will play with them for awhile than leaves them lay.

8. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I charge $5 for day olds but if I have extras, I always throw in a few for free (of course mine are bantams)

When buying hatching eggs always make sure you ad shipping. Some people look cheaper, but ask more shipping. I charge $40(which includes shipping) for 12+, but once again if I have them I've sent as many as 2 dozen eggs, some will send you 13 eggs and some will send lots of extras.

Paul is a great and honest guy, but there are breeders right here in Indiana, why not buy from them. Paul bought a lav. cockrel from my daughter for his breeding program, So He thinks she has great birds!!!

The flailing around is the worse part for us as humans , and though I tell myself it is just nerves, It still gets to me, I've used the starter fluid method and the broom stick. I've also just picked a few up and wrung their necks, It is one of the hardest things for me to do. No matter what method we use, some times we just have to get over it and do it, At least that is what I tell myself. LOL !!

People even use the broom stick method for rabbits,

I'd be interested depending on how far you are from me??

9. FarkerFarms

FarkerFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    I'm located off 421 (Michigan Rd) and 47 - between Sheridan and Lebanon. I work in Indy so I could also bring it to work one day if that helps. I am also in search of reasonably priced horse hay and may be making a trip out your way in the next month. I figured it could be useful to someone as a shelter! I have no need for it any more!

10. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN

I hope they aren't also, but you are in the right place. There are several people on this thread who are able to tell you sex by color pattern when their feathers start coming in. I'm not one of them, but I do like to guess. After the chicks were about 8 weeks old, the worrying lessened, but not by much sorry! around 5-7 weeks we started watching out for Cocci and were so relieved with that time frame passed. I have tons of extra medicine for that if you live somewhere near us (if you find you need it). The bag was about $20 but I'm not kidding, there is enough in the bag for at least a hundred birds, not the average backyard owner. I'd mail it to someone if I didn't think I'd get flagged for mailing strange white powders[​IMG] .

Good luck with your chicks. Everyone here will help you out. They are the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by