INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Boy, this thread moves fast!

I thought I saw someone looking for EEs in lay but I can't find the post
idunno.gif

I have 7 pullets from Meyers, Jan 28th hatch this year.
They are too aggressive for my flock of BO and silkies.

If somebody wants them they are free, otherwise they go in the freezer next week.

Also have a well mannered cockrel, 13 weeks old. He is very large fowel EE X silkie. He has all the silkie bits, five toes,feathered legs,black skin,blue ears,walnut comb and growing an interesting crest but has regular feathers. He is practicing his dance routine for the ladies and tidbitting with pebbles. He is also into crowing contests with his brother.

If anyone would like them please drop me a pm. I am in Marion county,far south east side, could meet someone if needed
Lora

It was probably me. I have an Ameracauna and would love to get a couple more that lay colored eggs. How aggressive are they? My flock seems to be getting along really well - should I risk adding a couple aggressive birds? I have: 3 BR, 2 RIR, 1 Ameracauna, 1 Welsummer. Thoughts? I go back and forth on the Rooster thing. I would welcome advice on that as well. I haven't had any issues with predators (other than a chicken committing suicide by flying over the fence and into my pack of dogs) and the girls seems to be getting along well.

It was probably me. I have an Ameracauna and would love to get a couple more that lay colored eggs. How aggressive are they? My flock seems to be getting along really well - should I risk adding a couple aggressive birds? I have: 3 BR, 2 RIR, 1 Ameracauna, 1 Welsummer. Thoughts? I go back and forth on the Rooster thing. I would welcome advice on that as well. I haven't had any issues with predators (other than a chicken committing suicide by flying over the fence and into my pack of dogs) and the girls seems to be getting along well.

I would not risk putting them in with a peaceful flock. If you had a separate pen and coop it could work.They do fine with each other but I totally don't trust them around the rest of my birds. They had launched an attack on a broody silkie and her EE mix chicks and were trying to tear the faces of my BO's. They have been in a separate pen for about 10 weeks and get along fine with each other.

The cockrel, Moe, is a very nice guy. He is a very good lookout for hawks, breaks up scuffles amongst his sisters and shows every sign of being a good rooster. I wouldn't even try to rehome him if he was mean. I will try to get a photo of him, he is a handsome little guy.
Lora

I would not risk putting them in with a peaceful flock. If you had a separate pen and coop it could work.They do fine with each other but I totally don't trust them around the rest of my birds. They had launched an attack on a broody silkie and her EE mix chicks and were trying to tear the faces of my BO's. They have been in a separate pen for about 10 weeks and get along fine with each other.

The cockrel, Moe, is a very nice guy. He is a very good lookout for hawks, breaks up scuffles amongst his sisters and shows every sign of being a good rooster. I wouldn't even try to rehome him if he was mean. I will try to get a photo of him, he is a handsome little guy.
Lora

I'd be interested in seeing him :) How loud is it? Does he crow all day long? My coop is only 50 ft from the house. How annoying will crowing be at that distance?

I guess that I should have worn a nametag. I was at the show and loved it (Including changing a couple of breeds I thought I would like with a couple Breeds I DO like!) but all the people I talked with had no idea there was an Indiana chicken thread on backyard chickens. Some didn't know what backyard chickens was!!!

Although I still want more and better Delawares (the two pullets at the show seemed huge to me however and if they are suppose to be that big I DON'T want any more) and some Dominiques, my new list of wants is short:

Wheaten or Birchen Marans

Birchen, Brown Red or Red Pyle Modern Game (how convenient that I met a man named Chris that has Brown Reds now and Birchen possibly in a while!!!)

Belgian D'Anvers of any color!!!

My brother is in love with Snowy and Butterscotch Call ducks. I like them too!

And we both liked the African Geese!!

So now I go in search of breeders and start talking!!!!

Can't wait for the Boone County show as someone said it is much bigger!!

Being a former AC officer/director and worked under a city PD, they don't care, trust me. They HOPE you handle it so they don't have to..
Most officers I worked with had major eye rolls if they were sent on a "animal call" Took 20 minutes for backup when I was attacked on a call about a German Sheperd.
Mauled an elderly man, got him to safety and this dog went after me in the process. This man had his own fenced yard, and no pets,
Bitten bad on my leg and had stitches, and still fighting this dog when I finally got answers for help!
Had the dog crated by time my "help" arrived.That was my final call that made me leave,I was past angry at this point. I was with the PD for 5 years,
The officers on duty were at lunch aside from 2 on an accident.That poor man was severely bitten and you can't leave your lunch for that?
Most restaurants save the officers meal, and offer free meals to officers; Very upsetting I wasn't backed up, let alone the poor guy that was attacked,
Dogs can and will attack people and livestock,and will continue until stopped or the victim is dead.. Its instincts that dogs have without being taught otherwise.
I would call town hall, talk to the town manager if there is one, the mayor and police chief, for starters!
They don't want bad publicity. Be hateful and angry to get your point across, it is their state mandated JOB, whether they like it or not.
I am on a rampage with Madison Co right now, they refuse to pick up stray cats. They are NOT wildlife and are a domestic animal.
It is not my fault people abandon their unwanted cats at my farm;
Will post details as I fight this ridiculous crap. I am really tired of the irresponsible owners thinking I need another cat here!
Have had 3 attack my chickens so far, been several I have found starved to death, Just sad, poor things, not right.
I saw this story on the news today about a woman who had bred and abused/neglected dog/wolf hybrids since 1986! Despite repeated problems, nothing was ever done to stop her! When she recently died, the starving dogs had to feed on her body. If lawmakers and law enforcers would take animal abuse seriously, and not give a slap on the wrist, this would have stopped long ago. Not sure about rules about posting links, but you can google to find out more.
Here's part of it:

Officials believe an Ohio County, KY woman's hybrid wolf-dogs may have eaten her body after she died.
Patricia Ritz faced animal cruelty charges several times in a number of places.
According to Adopt-a-Husky Rescue, Ritz's first offense took place in 1986 affecting 50 dogs in Posey County, IN. She was found guilty and given one year probation. However, it turned out to be the first of many such incidents.
In 1987 Ritz was found guilty of five counts of animal abuse in Evansville, IN. She was given two years probation and was ordered not to being dogs into Indiana again.
Her third offense happened in 1991 when officials found seven unattended dogs in her vehicle. Charges were dropped a few months later after she promised she would not bring dogs into the state anymore.
Greenville, KY officials found 120 dogs in Ritz's possession in 1997 and she was found guilty of second degree cruelty.
Of 184 dogs found in 1999, 159 dogs were euthanized and Ritz was allowed to keep the remaining 25 if she spayed and neutered them.
Ritz was found guilty to second degree cruelty to animals in 2002 after officials found 38 dogs. Her sentence was suspended for two years and she was ordered to leave the county.
More than 34 dogs were euthanized in 2003 due to poor temperaments and health problems.
Now, Ohio County Animal Control is working to save more than 50 wolf-dog hybrids from Ritz' residence on Easton Road in Fordsville, KY.
County authorities believe Ritz became sick and died and the dogs turned to her body for food to survive.
It isn't clear exactly how many times Patricia was charged with animal cruelty, but rescue workers say although the situation is tragic, at least this is the end.

Boy, this thread moves fast!

I thought I saw someone looking for EEs in lay but I can't find the post :idunno

I have 7 pullets from Meyers, Jan 28th hatch this year.
They are too aggressive for my flock of BO and silkies.

If somebody wants them they are free, otherwise they go in the freezer next week.

Also have a well mannered cockrel, 13 weeks old. He is very large fowel EE X silkie. He has all the silkie bits, five toes,feathered legs,black skin,blue ears,walnut comb and growing an interesting crest but has regular feathers. He is practicing his dance routine for the ladies and tidbitting with pebbles. He is also into crowing contests with his brother.

If anyone would like them please drop me a pm. I am in Marion county,far south east side, could meet someone if needed
                                                            Lora

It was probably me.  I have an Ameracauna and would love to get a couple more that lay colored eggs.  How aggressive are they? My flock seems to be getting along really well - should I risk adding a couple aggressive birds?  I have: 3 BR, 2 RIR, 1 Ameracauna, 1 Welsummer.  Thoughts?  I go back and forth on the Rooster thing.  I would welcome advice on that as well.  I haven't had any issues with predators (other than a chicken committing suicide by flying over the fence and into my pack of dogs) and the girls seems to be getting along well. 

My assumption here is not that the Easter-eggers are aggressive, but that they are living with more docile breeds. Orpingtons and Silkies (especially Silkies) are reportedly very docile breeds and it honestly doesn't surprise me that they would be pushed around. Barred Rocks and Rhodies, on the other hand, and namely production bred versions of these breeds, are more aggressive than EEs usually are, which makes me think that if you took home some of the EEs from Lora Indy that things would be fine after the initial figuring out of the new pecking order.

As a side note, you don't mention a color name with your Ameraucana, which leads me to believe that she is probably an Easter-egger, too. I can help you confirm or deny that if you want, just post her picture. :)

If anyone is interested in one of those dog igloo dog houses - I have a medium sized one that I will give away.  I don't need it any more and have been reluctant to sell it on craigslist (not worth worrying about the crazies!).  Free to a good home! :)

If you were closer, I'd take it off your hands. My girls love the one they have.

Suggested use for a dogloo. ;)

I keep hearing about people trying to get their chickens to go in the coop when it rains.

It never occurred to me to try to enforce a "no wet chickens" rule.  If they like it inside, they will go inside.  If they like it outside, they will stay outside.

Chicks are another matter.  If they don't have a mother to protect them, they are goners.

John

I agree, my big girls stay out in the rain and do fine. Once they're off the heat lamp or away from momma hen, a little rain shouldn't hurt them. Also, it's one thing if they're playing in the rain during the day, but if they're sleeping in the rain, I would think that would make them susceptible to illness.

My assumption here is not that the Easter-eggers are aggressive, but that they are living with more docile breeds. Orpingtons and Silkies (especially Silkies) are reportedly very docile breeds and it honestly doesn't surprise me that they would be pushed around. Barred Rocks and Rhodies, on the other hand, and namely production bred versions of these breeds, are more aggressive than EEs usually are, which makes me think that if you took home some of the EEs from Lora Indy that things would be fine after the initial figuring out of the new pecking order.

As a side note, you don't mention a color name with your Ameraucana, which leads me to believe that she is probably an Easter-egger, too. I can help you confirm or deny that if you want, just post her picture.
smile.png

I don't have a great picture here - I can try to get a better one later. She is a Wheaten color (I think?) and has some kind of tufts around her head. She was a freebie and the guy that gave her to me said she was Ameraucana, but I don't know where he got her from or how sure he was. I'll try to snap a better pic later today. Wouldn't sticking a couple of the aggressive EEs into a more established flock help bump them down the pecking order a bit? Would getting a rooster help? I'm not anti-rooster, my biggest hesitation is that I have neighbors not too far away and don't want my animals to be a nuisance to THEM (and slightly to my super light-sleeper self).

Her color isn't quite right for a Wheaten Ameraucana, and it looks like she has green legs, so she is probably an Easter-egger. :) She actually looks a lot like my girl, Betty, who is most assuredly an EE and lays a lovely turquoise egg.

Moving the other Easter-eggers into an established flock, especially if they are younger than the established flock, will probably put them at the bottom of the pecking order. Roosters reportedly help with fights among hens, but as I haven't had a mature, adult rooster in my flock in so long, I honestly don't remember if they did much at all in that regard.

Last edited:
Her color isn't quite right for a Wheaten Ameraucana, and it looks like she has green legs, so she is probably an Easter-egger.
smile.png
She actually looks a lot like my girl, Betty, who is most assuredly an EE and lays a lovely turquoise egg.

Moving the other Easter-eggers into an established flock, especially if they are younger than the established flock, will probably put them at the bottom of the pecking order. Roosters reportedly help with fights among hens, but as I haven't had a mature, adult rooster in my flock in so long, I honestly don't remember if they did much at all in that regard.

She does look a lot like Betty! Just a bit lighter color. Weirdly I DO have a pic of one of Margo's eggs!

Back
Top Bottom